Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fishing Bridge Park in Yellowstone has a 40' limit and it's real! We couldn't have gotten another foot in... But then, there are several commercial parks available.
There are far to many state, national and Corp of Engineer parks with 80-90 foot pull thru's to worry about what "might" be lurking around the corner!
Buy what you want...................

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #30
laj

Have never had a problem driving on roads or finding a place to park. Stayed in several state,natl, and Coe parks. Is a 18 ft easier, sure but as most have said get what you want and makes you happy. Parking is secondary to that.
As far as roads, I don't plan on driving mine in NYC Or.amy other town like it including but not limited to sf

Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #31

Hi guys! As far as the campgrounds go, any campground that has a web page usually has size limits listed. For example if you go to the Passport America campground list at Passport America Campgrounds click on a State, and all the little flags come up. Click on a flag, it gives you the campground name. Click on the name, it gives you their info page, and usually about 2 sections down is a section called Passport America Highlights, and in there it will tell you the size rigs allowed. I have found breakpoints at 36', many at 40', then 45' and 70'.

On the state Parks and recreation areas, if you go to the Federal site US Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people. pick your state (Florida) pick your park (Ocala National Forest here in central Florida) over in the right column pick campgrounds, first one on the list is Alexander Springs, scroll down under activities, and you will see that they have a max limit of 35' at this particular campground.

On the road restrictions, I had been checking on drivers license requirements for a 42' RV, and happened to stumble on Oversize road restrictions. I once traveled down the coast in California by car, so I knew any trip out there I would want to go that way again. Checked California, and was shocked to find Motorhomes over 40' to 45' are classified as Oversize, and limited from MANY roads, including most of the scenic roads, which tend to be older. (Motorhomes up to and including 40' have no restrictions of any kind.) That map is found at 45' Bus & Motorhome Map . I have not been able to track any other states yet, although I have found limited bridges here in Florida.

My main concern was the road restrictions, since my purpose in getting this RV is to see all the scenic stuff, and especially in the coastal states, a lot of the coastal routes are older roads that might have size and weight restrictions. I am trying to find out if the Florida coastal A1A is restricted. If that is so, then no matter how nice that 42' is, the 40' is plenty comfortable if it gives me more access.

I understand the process, because at one time I owned a couple of small beachfront motels, and a section of the old road along the beach about 2 blocks long slowly collapsed under the weight of big RVs parking on the edge for a day at the beach. They actually had to close the road, cutting off access, because under new road requirements they couldn't reconstruct!

That is why I was asking if anyone had experienced problems with those restrictions. From the answers so far, here and on other forums, seems like most folks never heard of them, or else pretty much have the attitude go for the big one, if you get stopped claim ignorance and pay the ticket. I'm probably a little more sensitive over this than most, since I learned the hard way there really is a reason for some of the restrictions on the older roads!

Whew! Long post. Just wanted to be thorough. I've pretty much decided to go with the 40', don't want any limits if I can help it. But I will continue checking and keep you posted.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Fishing Bridge Park in Yellowstone has a 40' limit and it's real! We couldn't have gotten another foot in... But then, there are several commercial parks available.
There are far to many state, national and Corp of Engineer parks with 80-90 foot pull thru's to worry about what "might" be lurking around the corner!
Buy what you want...................
I haven't confirmed it, but from what I've heard, you can't even ENTER Yosemite if you are over 40', and that would be a shame.

Kathryn

Update: Just checked on Yosemite ... you can get in, but there are only a couple of the roads in the park on which you can travel with a single vehicle up to 45' in length, the rest are limited to 25' and 35'. As far as the campgrounds go - of the 10 campgrounds that accept RVs only 2 allow 40', and that is only on 10 sites TOTAL between the two! All other camping is for 35' or LESS.

Kathryn

Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
Independence Pass, Colorado
Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #34

Have camped in MANY, State, Local, Federal parks that say they have a size limit. We are 42' and found that if it fits it fits! In over 90% of the cases they will let you try to fit and in 90% you will fit. Would never let size be a issue when buying a coach(however we stay well clear of California-and not because of size).

Many of the Federal parks are now being run by private companies and they basically are throwing out the bad rules/regualtions and allowing longer stays, no length limit, etc.

If you have any concern it should be height. Many parks have trees that require triming(we carry a hand saw with us), doesn't matter what length you are.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Have camped in MANY, State, Local, Federal parks that say they have a size limit. We are 42' and found that if it fits it fits! In over 90% of the cases they will let you try to fit and in 90% you will fit. Would never let size be a issue when buying a coach(however we stay well clear of California-and not because of size).

Many of the Federal parks are now being run by private companies and they basically are throwing out the bad rules/regualtions and allowing longer stays, no length limit, etc.

If you have any concern it should be height. Many parks have trees that require triming(we carry a hand saw with us), doesn't matter what length you are.
That is great news! I know most of the Florida parks have privatized their campground management, and I did notice in one state park their limit was 36', but in their info they had added if your rig will fit in the site they do not check lengths, although you might not be able to fit a toad as well.

And I have been doing more checking on the road restrictions - I can confirm that Florida does NOT have restrictions for private Motorhomes (other than the 65' total with tow), the restrictions are apparently just for commercial rigs, especially for weight. Of the many states I have checked, the only one I have found so far with the road restrictions has been California as stated in my post above.

Kathryn

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 40 foot home that actually measures 41.6 and we camp primarily in public parks. I do feel it limits us some and wish (in retrospect) we'd gone smaller. The good news is that so far (3 yrs of fulltiming) we've been able to fit anywhere that says 40 feet. The bad news is I do have to plan carefully since alot of the spots we like to stay have restrictions. It does depend ALOT on where we go.

Biggest issues are forest campgrounds esp. In the mountains (e.g.Colorado). Our first year near the rockies I remember seeing something of the order of 60 NFS campgrounds in the area we wanted to go. Lots of options for 35, but only 10 could take 40 ft and maybe 1 could take larger. CA state parks are another trouble area. Very, very few accept anything large. On the other hand State Parks in NM and TX were fine. Most of central US is also ok. You run into restrictions again in the Smokies for NFS sites. We don't stay much in National Parks (because of our dog) so can't comment on that.

The easiest way to get a feel of length restrictions in public parks is this website (same site I use for all my planning). Just click on your area of interest and zoom in. This site has just about everything (NP, NFS, State Parks, COE, etc.). Each site lists length (where known):
http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

As for roads most have been ok. Truckers go just about everywhere. Where they go we can go.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

That is great news! I know most of the Florida parks have privatized their campground management, and I did notice in one state park their limit was 36', but in their info they had added if your rig will fit in the site they do not check lengths, although you might not be able to fit a toad
Kathryn
Keep in mind that it's not always site size that is the issue, but internal roads and trees/access. In FL some of the SP's are older with thick overhanging trees and tight turns. We were able to stay in many state parks in FL, but had to pass on others because of our size. FL is one state where I do not "push" on size. Trees can be a major issue there.

Another example. Last month we stayed at a NFS site in Lake Shasta. Our site size was 40 and we fit, but there was one very tight tree-lined turn at the beginning of the campground that we almost didn't make. It came to within an inch! Also there were several 40 foot sizes in the campground we could not have gotten into because of trees in the way.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Keep in mind that it's not always site size that is the issue, but internal roads and trees/access. In FL some of the SP's are older with thick overhanging trees and tight turns. We were able to stay in many state parks in FL, but had to pass on others because of our size. FL is one state where I do not "push" on size. Trees can be a major issue there.

Another example. Last month we stayed at a NFS site in Lake Shasta. Our site size was 40 and we fit, but there was one very tight tree-lined turn at the beginning of the campground that we almost didn't make. It came to within an inch! Also there were several 40 foot sizes in the campground we could not have gotten into because of trees in the way.
LOL! Back to my original quandary! But that is exactly the type of firsthand experience I was looking for. And that is some impressive driving!

Oh well. We'll see. And I also have looked at several "40ft" that measured over 41' almost 42' - at least the 40' I am wanting is the Tiffin Allegro Bus, and it is a more true measurement at only 40'6".

Plus, I wanted to say, I LOVE your signature line!

Thx!

Kathryn

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn

LOL! Back to my original quandary! But that is exactly the type of firsthand experience I was looking for. And that is some impressive driving!

Oh well. We'll see. And I also have looked at several "40ft" that measured over 41' almost 42' - at least the 40' I am wanting is the Tiffin Allegro Bus, and it is a more true measurement at only 40'6".

Plus, I wanted to say, I LOVE your signature line!

Thx!

Kathryn
If you like public camping I would definitely recommend going smaller. Another crazy squeeze we had was at Fort De Soto SP in FL. Again an older park with crazy trees. Our site (in the dogs section) was huge, but it was almost at 90 degrees to the main road which was narrow and very heavily tree lined. It took 40 minutes of veeeeery careful work to get in. By the time we finished we had 18 people watching (many had exchanged bets) and got a standing ovation. Man, that took some years off my life!

Our other notable squeeze was in Hunting Island NC. Again no problem site wise, but trees and narrow road was the issue. That time we actually did hit the back of the MH (our only ever hit so far). Cost a good $900 to fix.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
For almost 5 years of tag driving I have used the rand truckers' atlas which has all the roads that will accomodate commercial trucks highlighted. If a trucker can use that road so can I; there sure are allot of them. If I find a campground that can't accomodate us I probably didn't want to stay there anyway, but I always phone ahead and give them our exact length, slide configuration, and tow vehicle to be sure; the vast majority of cg owners will be honest with you about your chances for "success". I never go "touring" in my coach; we have a tow'd for that so don't worry too much about scenic route limitations? When we come home we come home to 42' x 13' of mobile luxury which makes some of the (very) minor compromises well worth it.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
When you see these length restrictions on the road, are they counting the length of the toad also? For example, 40ft restriction-32ft MH + 20ft trailer. Legal or not?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startech View Post
When you see these length restrictions on the road, are they counting the length of the toad also? For example, 40ft restriction-32ft MH + 20ft trailer. Legal or not?
From what I have found so far, every state has the same limit of 65' total, which includes MH and towed vehicle/trailer. The 40' limit is only on the MH, and apparently only in California on the roads shown on the map posted earlier.

Kathryn