Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #43

On length restrictions they are talking total length for your combination, so that would include your toad, trailer or whatever you are towing. I'm 63' with my toad and have never encountered any road issues (correction - I stupidly turned into a dead end subdivision once when I missed my campground turn). I do have a GPS that I program my height & length that assists me in my guidance. Notice I said assists, don't strictly count on a GPS to guide you. I also carry a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas that I will refer to. I found most Interstates, U.S. routes, State routes are safe to travel. I will also put my route into Google map directions the night before and review the suggested route. I like that they have a lot of photographs of the road for upcoming turns that I can visually familiarize myself with. I save the county/city/dirt roads for my toad unless I know the area. I'm restricted in some public campgrounds, but I can find another campground close by that will accommodate me and I use my toad to explore. I wouldn't stress over the length, there is so much beautiful country to see and explore.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #44

It's a little tight for my 45FT in the McDonalds drive thru.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post

HAAAHHAAAAAHHHAA I love that ... I have so many times looked at a a drive thru and thought ................. should I?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
HAAAHHAAAAAHHHAA I love that ... I have so many times looked at a a drive thru and thought ................. should I?
LOL, Me too!!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #48

Ya know - that would be a great business idea! Get a location with good access just off a HEAVILY traveled highway, customize the drive-thru, and put out a BIG sign

"Drive-thru clearance 14' - RVs and trucks welcome!"

Then just make sure your coffee is good and strong, and you have a money maker!!! LOL!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #49

How many locations, state parks or national parks limit the length of the RV?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
Depends entirely WHERE you go.

In California for example, which has many older state parks there are only a handful of spots that will accept RV's above 40-feet in length:
Califorina State Parks RV Lengths

Other state parks (e.g. Oregon) will accept RV's of 40 feet pretty much everywhere.

So, just depends where you go...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #51

Regarding CA road restrictions, some smaller, two lane, very narrow/winding "highways" do have restrictions on RVs, anything over 40' is considered 45', this is the direct quote from CalTrans:

"Access Routes: 45' motorhomes may travel on virtually every State route EXCEPT those signed with a 30-foot kingpin-to-rear-axle (KPRA) advisory sign. This sign advises trucks with a KPRA of more than 30 feet not to use the route. There are also KPRA advisories signs with 32, 34, 36, and 38 feet. These advisories that are 32 feet and higher ALLOW 45' motorhomes to use the routes."

I've been on a few of those restricted roads in a 28' RV and that was scary enough! Legally, you can drive a 35' motorhome on with a toad on Highway 1 along Big Sur. Would I do it? Hell, no! That's what the toad is for. I would rather have the extra feet for living space in my rig, and use the toad for exploring.

By the way, did you know you can drive a 28' RV all the way up to Oregon Caves on OR-46? They tell you travel trailers and *Large RVs* are not recommended for the last 12 miles to the caves. I think our RV is on the smaller end of the spectrum - it's not much bigger than our Ram truck and fits most CA state parks. Apparently the Oregon definition of a large RV is quite different

Good Luck finding your rig!

Mrs. M
Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
About half the sites in state parks accept 40-foot RVs. How do I know? I collected data on all state parks about a year ago. I'm now doing the same for National Parks and it's looking about the same.

BTW, the states that have the least number of 40-foot sites are:
- Vermont (6%)
- New Hampshire (9%)
- Maine (13%)
- Massachusetts (13%)
- California (18%)
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #53

Hi,
We have a 40ft. MH and have had a few issues not being able to get into a state camp ground. However if you find a campgroung with a 40ft. limit you can probably get in with a 42 ft. unit. I have driven on some roads where 40 ft. is not a pleasant drive, hwy 1 in California can get very twisty, not fun for any MH, also the mountain pass to get into Borrago Springs is not a pleasant MH road. The bottom line if you find a 42 ft. unit you like go for it. There is very little practical difference between driving a 40 ft. and 42 ft. or larger MH, in any case you are driving a large vehicle and you will encounter some roads that are not pleasant drives with any MH. However since you are planning to full time the extra space and floor plan you like will be well worth not being able to get into and isolated campground on occasion, or dealing with a twisty road now and then.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #54

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Even with my limited experience I myself would've gone with a 40 ft. diesel but there was no way to stretch my wallet that far.

Hope to win the lottery so I can get my dream MH. It better be quick as I'm already 71.

You only live once.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our DP is slightly over 41 ft. ( the brochure says 41ft, 4 in. But I never measured). Still working for a few more years but will go to a 43-45 ft unit when we retire and become full-timers, or at least 6 month-ers, ( made up word, but I don't want to deal with snow in retirement). We love the space of the larger DP motorhomes, and will simply avoid places that have restrictions of 40 ft or less.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #56

McD Drive-thru for Rv's and taller vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Ya know - that would be a great business idea! Get a location with good access just off a HEAVILY traveled highway, customize the drive-thru, and put out a BIG sign

"Drive-thru clearance 14' - RVs and trucks welcome!"

Then just make sure your coffee is good and strong, and you have a money maker!!! LOL!

Kathryn
I remember a McD with a drive thru pickup station in Cook, Mn on Hwy 53 setup for RV's, trucks, campers, etc. They had platform stand to assist in their transactions with taller vehicles.

Regards,

ahinkc - newbie still stuck in the cubicle