Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
rver98,
We moved to Lake Havasu City AZ almost 2 years ago . . . Our home owners insurance is cheaper, vehicle insurance is cheaper, gas, and many other things.
What about your health insurance?

TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the great information.

Fireup, Your situation sounds a bit like mine. Great insight guys.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Arizona is on the top ten places to retire along with Iowa, Utah,

Seven states do not tax individual income retirement or otherwise: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

I don't think too many retire and move north to Alaska.

South Dakota and Wyoming are rated the top two states to retire in, but hen they have a lot of snow to deal with. Low taxes, low crime , and great personal over all well being.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #18

Since you want both ocean and mountains, you might consider Eugene, Oregon. It's close to both and is a very active vibrant community. No sales tax, either.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #19

We are currently in So Cal. House is on the market and we are heading up to the Portland area. Mostly because our only child and her husband live there, but also to help lower the cost of living, etc as we approach retirement.

Nice thing is after 30+ years here in soCal, we have a lot of equity in our home which will help us buy something in Oregon. We are a little concerned about the winters there, but figure after the holidays, we can head back south in the motorhome!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This will be easy for you. Throw a dart at a map, anywhere it lands will be cheaper than So Cal.

Oregon or Washington coast might fit your criteria, but I hope you're water proof! The Carolinas can put you within easy striking distance of both mountains and the coast but they both will hit you up for big property tax bills on your vehicles and RV.

Keep in mind, you're on wheels. Find one, say the beach, anywhere along the gulf or Florida coast, move when you need a high altitude fix.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #21

We all have different personal preferences & priorities when making these choices. You couldn't pay me enough to live in S Cal when I was working, let alone in retirement.
No need to commit to long term fulltiming, but to help make your choice, spend a few months traveling around in your RV exploring different areas.
After 4 yrs of fulltiming the best solution for me was a summer home in the Colorado mountains and a winter home in southern NM, and continued RV travels to other areas of the western US.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
We all have different personal preferences & priorities when making these choices. You couldn't pay me enough to live in S Cal when I was working, let alone in retirement.
No need to commit to long term fulltiming, but to help make your choice, spend a few months traveling around in your RV exploring different areas.
After 4 yrs of fulltiming the best solution for me was a summer home in the Colorado mountains and a winter home in southern NM, and continued RV travels to other areas of the western US.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The good thing about living in middle Georgia is that within 3 hours I can be in the mountains or on the beach (Atlantic or Gulf). We are also close to Atlanta if you want a major city or an international airport. Taxes aren't bad either if you are retired.

Retire Here, Not There: Georgia - MarketWatch

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I currently live in So. Cal and I am trying to decide if I should move out of So. Cal and move somewhere less expensive. Which city and state would you chose and why? I enjoy hiking, biking, golfing, gym time, the ocean and the mountains. Not looking to full time.

Thanks!
Albuquerque. mountains for hiking/biking, not too expensive, great wx.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading all I hear - home on wheels. Wheel south then wheel north - what could be faynaaaa?
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #26

My wife and I were born and raised in the Ventura County (Thousand Oaks)/San Fernando Valley area, and moved to southern Missouri about 17 years ago. I would never ever even consider moving back there. Once you get away and into the REAL America, you ask yourself how could I have ever lived there so long. [moderator edit] Number two reason- the people- everywhere you go, nothing but people. Everything you do, you stand in line for. Number three- trying to drive anywhere. Everywhere you go- traffic. Sitting in it. Always. There are plenty of other places that have sunshine and warm weather. Texas, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi. Yeah, big cities there, too, but also tons of small wonderful little towns that are just a pleasure to drive through. Now, don't get me wrong- California, as they say, is a great place to visit. We love going back and seeing friends and family. And California has the best restaurants (arguably) in the country. The Sierrras, the redwoods, the desert, all great places to visit. When we retire in a few years, we'll be going back to all those places again. But as far as ever living there again- never happen. Okay, rant over. Good luck with your life choices!

Dave and Theresa
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I currently live in So. Cal and I am trying to decide if I should move out of So. Cal and move somewhere less expensive. Which city and state would you chose and why? I enjoy hiking, biking, golfing, gym time, the ocean and the mountains. Not looking to full time.
Anywhere along the west coast would satisfy all your criteria. However, here is maybe a better solution. Move to somewhere near or along the Texas coast (much lower cost of living than CA) and then spend the high heat/humidity months in the mountain ski towns of New Mexico where you won't need the A/C and expensive RV parks, boondocking about half the time.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Im moving to mexico, there's no one left there anymore, their all living in so cal, kidding

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote