Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #57
With both of us life long Connecuticuit residents we have spent a lot of time in Vt. and always thought we would end up there as we love it there but recently have changed our minds.
After reading and studying Tennessee I thought for shure that would be the retirement spot. Went out there with the rv for a few weeks and looked at some houses and a few lake front and Tennessee is off our list.
Our family has a vacation house in Daytona Beach and we have been going their for 30 years most of the time during July and August. Having lived all our lives a couple blocks from the beach I think this is what we both need/want.
We have been looking in the Ponce Inlet area in Daytona and this August we are going to spend some time in Port Charlotte Fl. and look at a few canal homes.
I need to keep busy and would like to do something part time. Neither of us have any desire to full or even part time for that matter in the rv. A couple weeks here and there is what we like.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the great info.. We will be traveling around and looking for our retirement home base in the s/sw next year. Keep the ideas coming, please.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #59
Going back to this thread to see all the posts after mine. I just realized that I didn't elaborate on "loaded question" statement that I made.

What I meant to say........

There will be as many opinions on the "ideal retirement place" in this thread, as there are different personalities among humans that WILL see this thread, (and/or care to comment on it!) and MANY more if one includes ALL humans on the planet. Certainly there are "groups", and people with similar (if not identical) personalities, likes/dislikes, and these groups would agree on the same "ideal place". But for the most part, we are all DIFFERENT. Not only different in this present day and time, but "ever changing" in the future. People change.

When I was younger, I "needed" big city, clubs, a lot of friends, expensive clothes, fancy hotels, restaurants, and "night life". Now I want acreage (thousands if it would be possible), solitude, nature, quiet evenings, and no neighbors in sight. I buy disposable clothes in Walmart, that I can abuse in working with my animals (I still own tuxes, and Armanis though). I feel the best when I am on the horseback, out in the wilderness with my wife, and my dogs. Dense traffic makes me mad, "other people" irritate me (most of them), and I am not "social" type. I've spent all of my life in "groups" (and done a lifetime worth of "socializing"), either as a leader (for the most part), or a follower. I made life and death decisions, and some haunt me till this day. I changed. Life changed me. I would still want an airstrip on my property, so I can satisfy my sudden urge to "go to civilization", party, "people watch", and shop. I use my coach today just like that. Just recently I sold our airplane (after I purchased the coach). Flying with dogs was OK (they loved it!), but finding lodging/transportation when you land, was a BIG issue.

My "ideal retirement place" will be very different from someone else's. It's kinda a funny, but three of my close friends (all retired LEOs) chose the same place to retire to (I was not in LE), as I did. Too much "action", "blood, sweat, and tears", made people who lived that life into someone that appreciates solitude, and quiet times (I NEVER have any "quiet" times because of my rampant tinnitus anyway).

On the top of all this, you put climate likes/dislikes, and the whole idea of "ideal place" gets shaken again. Example,...... I LOVE South. I would live in the South in a heartbeat, ......if not for humidity. I LOVE SoCal, and I could die here if not for.......people, etc. previously mentioned. Seattle is one of my favorite cities,....and I HATE rain......

Not an easy decision to make. After listing all the likes/dislikes, wants/needs, and considering everything,.....I made a choice. If I have more time to live, I would probably change in the future (and move again!), but as it is, I am done growing up, done with changes, and this is the last time I am moving.
1995 Vogue Prima Vista
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #60
For us as full timers, the only place we have traveled to that we would like to settle down is Alaska. We are contemplating it but unsure if we have enough money to live there. There are places in Alaska that have moderate winters.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Still trying to answer the same question. Hot cold wet dry? So far this unique place is hard to beat weather wise. GREAT summers, mild winters and low annual rainfall.
Climate Sequim - Washington and Weather averages Sequim
Challenger Owners Club
2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune with 2014 Ford Fiesta behind us & 385 FastTrack kayak inside.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #62
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Still trying to answer the same question. Hot cold wet dry? So far this unique place is hard to beat weather wise. GREAT summers, mild winters and low annual rainfall.
i would never imagine that the precipitation is so low especially in winter months. like a paradise...
2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #63
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
My daughter and her brood live there, need to get up there and visit some!! They like to mud race ATV's and there seems to be a lot of that there too.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 AM   #64
Sequim is a really nice place. Beautiful area. The rain is less than Seattle but the skies are still grey and it seems like the wind is always blowing... really strong. This area was on our short list for retirement. We especially loved near-by Port Townsend and Port Ludlow. :-)
Arizona RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #65
iRV2 No Limits Club
We moved a year ago to Northeast TN. Best move we ever made. Weather is mild 4 seasons summer high near 90, winter low teens maybe, in the mountains, easy day's drive to ocean, taxes low (no state tax, vehicle reg 41.50 a year new, old RV classic car all the same) no emissions tests, bought a 2700 sq ft house .9 acre huge two car garage. 8 yrs old 250k, 1400 taxes a year, water, electric and natural gas totals less than 150 a month year round. People here must take "nice" pills, as we have yet to meet an unfriendly person.

Hiking and biking trails abound in the mountains. Close to I-26 but in the country very low cost of living. A nice house with several acres can be had for 300k or less or more depending on your need for land, lots of mini farms around with all types of animals. Good luck.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #66
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My folks are both retired and do the six warm 6 months at home here in Colorado and the winter 6 months in Apache Junction, Az.. It's a suburb of Phoenix. They leave the big 5th on the plot at the retirement rv park year around. In fact they sold the truck and bought a jeep. Sounds like the big traveling is done.
2016 Viking 17FQ
2005 Chevy Trailblazer
2 Chihuahua's - yeah, were those people at the campground
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #67

I sent you a PM, but since I have never used the PM feature before I am telling you here that I did so you don't miss it. Not sure what it looks like when one shows up. We are soon to be neighbors.
Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #68
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you don't like to travel much, Arizona is hard to beat with Phoenix and Flagstaff only a 2 hour drive apart and dramatic different weather. Spend your winters in Phoenix and your summers in Flagstaff. Similar situations are San Diego/Julian and Los Angeles/Big Bear Lake and El Paso/Cloudcroft and Salt Lake City/Park City and many more. The joy of RV fulltiming.........

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote