Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retire where?

I currently live in So. Cal and I am trying to decide if I should move out of So. Cal and move somewhere less expensive. Which city and state would you chose and why? I enjoy hiking, biking, golfing, gym time, the ocean and the mountains. Not looking to full time.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're SoCal residents too and totally feel your pain...but suggest you do some serious research before making any big change.

Mother-in-law moved out of CA mainly for cost of living, and regrets the move due to climate most of all.

And while it seems that taxes are greatly lower outside CA, this isn't always factual with only a slight different burden in states with desireable climates (they get their money, one way or another):
Tax Freedom Day 2016 is April 24 | Tax Foundation

Ocean and the mountains...? That really slims the option.
Each individual must decide what is best for their daily lives.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My brother left Modesto, CA and moved to Shamrock, TX.

Personally I would have moved further south in Texas.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We're SoCal residents too and totally feel your pain...but suggest you do some serious research before making any big change.

Mother-in-law moved out of CA mainly for cost of living, and regrets the move due to climate most of all.

And while it seems that taxes are greatly lower outside CA, this isn't always factual with only a slight different burden in states with desireable climates (they get their money, one way or another):
Tax Freedom Day 2016 is April 24 | Tax Foundation

Oceans and the mountains...? That really slims the options.
Each individual must decide what is best for their daily lives.

Best luck
Thanks for your response. Weather IS a big issue and as we get older can be a huge factor. Just trying to pick some brains.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Scarab0088 makes an excellent point. There are so many things to consider. Personally I would not move from here because we love it. No traffic problems (shoot the nearest traffic signal is exactly 8.9 miles away), we have four distinct seasons, mountains, lakes relatively low taxes, and good wholesome values. But it isn't for everyone. As we travel this great country we see areas where living there would be nice, but then we see areas where we say "not a nice place to visit and we sure don't want to live there!"

Travel around and see for yourself.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #6

JMHO: OR coast in the summer, S/CA coast, in the winter . 1,000 mile drive twice a year. Maybe doable for a while at least.
Do you plan on keeping RVing , or retiring from RV lifestyle back to S&B.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

That's a loaded question! I can't think of another person (that I know) that would consider doing what I am about to do. I am packing as we speak. SoCal was nice for the last 16 years, but the time has come. We are moving to Idaho (we love potato,.....just kidding!).

Moving to Continental Divide, for too many reasons to list them all here. Living expenses might not be a factor at all (but they are significantly lower in ID). The ONLY thing I like about CA is the weather. I am paying WAY too much for it as it is. Traffic over here drives me nuts. Ocean is nice, but I can't live among so many people, and I need acreage (for my horses). VERY little room left in SoCal (I live on 140 acres now, and only 50 miles from the ocean which I love. It takes me almost three hours to get there, if I pick the right time of the day/week).

I am moving to rural area, where people still conduct business with the handshake. I want to grow my own food (and barter for the stuff I need), and keep my horses on the pasture. My new place comes with the water rights (VERY expensive in CA!), and I have over 500 yards of "private waterfront" on the river full of fish.

I'm done with "rat race". Looking for a much simpler life. My parents were in service, and we moved a LOT when I was a kid. Then I went into service, and moved a LOT. Sixteen years in CA is the longest stretch I lived in ANY state/country. I grew up like a Gipsy, and I NEED to change scenery every once in a while. Since I'm getting old (fast!), I'll probably die in ID. That's OK with me, I'm ready!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: OR coast in the summer, S/CA coast, in the winter . 1,000 mile drive twice a year. Maybe doable for a while at least.
Do you plan on keeping RVing , or retiring from RV lifestyle back to S&B.
Still plan on traveling, just not willing to full time.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
That's a loaded question! I can't think of another person (that I know) that would consider doing what I am about to do. I am packing as we speak. SoCal was nice for the last 16 years, but the time has come. We are moving to Idaho (we love potato,.....just kidding!).

Moving to Continental Divide, for too many reasons to list them all here. Living expenses might not be a factor at all (but they are significantly lower in ID). The ONLY thing I like about CA is the weather. I am paying WAY too much for it as it is. Traffic over here drives me nuts. Ocean is nice, but I can't live among so many people, and I need acreage (for my horses). VERY little room left in SoCal (I live on 140 acres now, and only 50 miles from the ocean which I love. It takes me almost three hours to get there, if I pick the right time of the day/week).

I am moving to rural area, where people still conduct business with the handshake. I want to grow my own food (and barter for the stuff I need), and keep my horses on the pasture. My new place comes with the water rights (VERY expensive in CA!), and I have over 500 yards of "private waterfront" on the river full of fish.

I'm done with "rat race". Looking for a much simpler life. My parents were in service, and we moved a LOT when I was a kid. Then I went into service, and moved a LOT. Sixteen years in CA is the longest stretch I lived in ANY state/country. I grew up like a Gipsy, and I NEED to change scenery every once in a while. Since I'm getting old (fast!), I'll probably die in ID. That's OK with me, I'm ready!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Could write a book. Try not to. We were very blessed with a beautiful 5 acre spread in the hills overlooking Temecula's wine country. I hated the traffic. We elected to full-time until we found a better place to live. Having heavily traveled the Pacific Northwest in the past, we focused on the south. Absolutely fell in love with the Gulf Coast. But you just can't beat So Cal's weather 360 days of the year. Having dodged tornadoes in Texas, Lousiana, & Mississippi, straight line winds (which I had never heard of) in Alabama & Florida, there are times of the year when I would love to visit other parts of the country but nowhere I'd rather be year round.

We are now finishing construction on a much smaller place in a 55+ development in Murrieta. We can still spend as much time as we want in other areas
Old 04-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I currently live in So. Cal and I am trying to decide if I should move out of So. Cal and move somewhere less expensive. Which city and state would you chose and why? I enjoy hiking, biking, golfing, gym time, the ocean and the mountains. Not looking to full time.
Are you under 65 and have to buy your own health insurance?

If so, your choices are limited because finding a nationwide health plan is more difficult now.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #12

State by State guide

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
This is not a comprehensive guide because there is no info on vehicle fees & no info on health care plans -- two huge omissions!

For example, NV has a "Governmental Services Tax" and a "Supplemental Governmental Services Tax" which are based on a vehicle's MSRP. Neither of these is mentioned in Kiplinger's. So the newer your vehicle, the higher the tax. See https://dmvapp.nv.gov/dmv/vr/vr_esti...ionResult.aspx

For OP's 2005 Phaeton (original MSRP = $189k), OP would have to pay $530 in Clark County for 2016.

On the other hand, OP could sign up for a nationwide BCBS Anthem PPO ACA exchange plan in Clark County. Nationwide PPO plans are not available in SD or TX.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #14

rver98,
Well, after a 30 year career in the FD, and living in So Cal for almost 60 years, a move out of that state was well over due, for me. The wife and I almost created WWIII a few times but, in the end, she now see's the light. We moved to Lake Havasu City AZ almost 2 years ago. I retired right at 6 years ago and, if it would have been up to me, the day I walked out of the fire station for the last time, I'd have started up the car and driven out of state.

But, the wife and I "negotiated" for a couple of years and, decided Lake Havasu was as far as she would go, away from the kids and her mom. She wanted close access for trips back and forth. So, it's been absolutely fantastic ever since the move. Our home owners insurance is cheaper, vehicle insurance is cheaper, gas, and many other things.

Yep, it gets a bit warm but, it's tollerable. Housing is half the cost of So Ca, even for a new home, such as ours. So, just some thoughts.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote