RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Retired couple, newbies, see the US, < $100k

Hello. Iím sure this has been asked a million times a thousand different ways. Sorry. Iíve been reading till my eyes are sore.

So.... wife and I, 57 and 56, retired, plus our trusty yellow lab, are thinking we want to buy an RV to see the US a few weeks to a few months at a time. We donít think weíd be on the move all the time rather, staying in one place for 4 or 5 days at a time. Our budget is under a $100k.

We have looked at some units and find ourselves really liking the Grand Design Imagines or the 150 Series 5ers but wonder about towing. We have a new F150 that we would upgrade to a 250 if we go that direction and have towed mid sized boats for years but...is that for us for our age and what we want to do. We are very active and in fairly good health, however.

Throw us your thoughts, recommendations, experiences please. Thank you!

kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #2

Your budget is less than $1,000? Either this is a typo or you need to completely rethink your plans.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Best thing-shoe leather. No kidding, just get out and start looking at RVs, 5vers, Class C,B,A; the whole lot. Check RV Trader to get a handle on prices, NADA Guide also. Dealer lots, RV shows, try to see 'em all, one type you are not even considering might be the 'ahah" moment for both of you.
One thing I will say, and you will get lots of opinions here, is that having a washer dryer is more convenient than finding a laundromat every week. JUst don't like laundromats! YMMV and good luck! Here's something to whet your whistle:

DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Index

Its 82f here right now, this is how to enjoy retirement!!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Your budget is less than $1,000? Either this is a typo or you need to completely rethink your plans.
you got me! Fixed.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

Sounds like you are fixing to make a lot of us jealous, lol!! Congrats on the plan, I don't think you will go wrong with a Grand Design, I'd probably step up to the 5er though and look at the Reflection or the Solitude. A 250/2500 will do to pull several of their models, but if you have a little left over you might want to consider a 350/3500 SRW for the additional payload and tongue weight it will bear. Drop an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed for in-flight fueling and a good TMPS system for the RV and you will be off living the good life!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Hello. Iím sure this has been asked a million times

Throw us your thoughts, recommendations, experiences please. Thank you!

RV shows.

2018 RV Shows: Dates, Times, Locations

Go see what's out there. Do you really want a big pickup to drive around in when you get there or a little car that you have towed behind your Class A or Class C. I towed for years and have only recently switched to a Class A. The setup and tear down is so easy!

Sudsy
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us. You're gonna like it here.

I can't help with your question. But I want to say hi.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Your 1st RV is a training tool..
Buy what You "think" you want and need..after a year or so you are ready to go buy what You KNOW you want and need to be comfy..and keeps the better half happy....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Your 1st RV is a training tool..
Buy what You "think" you want and need..after a year or so you are ready to go buy what You KNOW you want and need to be comfy..and keeps the better half happy....
Yep
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	why-yes-i-am_o_1407521.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	191119  
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
RV shows.

2018 RV Shows: Dates, Times, Locations

Go see what's out there. Do you really want a big pickup to drive around in when you get there or a little car that you have towed behind your Class A or Class C. I towed for years and have only recently switched to a Class A. The setup and tear down is so easy!

Sudsy
We havenít decided which style yet however itís clear that for us class A (and C to a lesser degree) is probably easiest.

Why does it seem that Cs are more cramped than a comparable A? Youíd think the two are mostly the same aside from the cab.

Thanks, all!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. We started off with a similar plan and got a new (Isata3) Class C with a small tow vehicle and we were all in for just at 100K. Used it for multiple 3-4 month trips for two years and now have sold it and going to a bigger coach to spend more time (probably full time) in it.
Most I think buy at least two RVs. One to train in and then one for the future.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome. We started off with a similar plan and got a new (Isata3) Class C with a small tow vehicle and we were all in for just at 100K. Used it for multiple 3-4 month trips for two years and now have sold it and going to a bigger coach to spend more time (probably full time) in it.
Most I think buy at least two RVs. One to train in and then one for the future.
This is what I think would happen for most and it’s almost my plan. MY plan, not my co-pilot’s plan. She remembers owning boats for many years and we moved up in size 4 times over 6 years = She wants us to buy the RV we want the first time but honestly, that’s very unlikely. She has agreed on a decent budget for a first unit that betters the odds however.

She thinks she likes the Grand Design pull behinds but imho buying one will almost guarantee we’re buying again before we want to.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
We started traveling this year after retirement at 62. It really does keep you young. Haven't felt this good in years. Now your questions. We have a 5er going on 4 years now. Looked at trading for an A but for us set up tear down was a draw. Insurance will be higher for the A and toad. Staying in a place for a few days at a time you will appreciate the room in the 5er. Your choice. As for TV a 3/4 ton is minimal for sure. Good luck on your decision.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #14

In addition to shows & dealers make a few trips to campgrounds and talk to owners of various type RVs.
Ask them...
How they use it...travel style / habits
What they like & dislike about their rig
If they did it again what would they do.

Then...
Develop your own list of musts & wants & have your spouse / mate do the same...
Compare notes & combine lists... compromise (do it her way) lol...
Then start to rate what you've seen & talked to others about and get serious about finding your short list to consider seriously.
Your goal should be to buy your second RV the first time around.

With some work and careful thought and discussion it's possible.

We are Class A with a Honda CRV toad and really think there are advantages that way... works great for us but may not be best for everyone...only you can decide.

Good luck w the adventures.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newbies