Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't know what happened but I replied yesterday and post is gone. I retired from a fairly large department in 2007 and just 4 months ago we sold our house and bought a new motorhome and now are on the road full time. I do know of another retired firefighter and I will send him the info.

ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Roy, go to the group and join. In that way your posts will more likely be read by the groups members.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, I believe I have now joined.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
OK, I worked for the Anne Arundel County Fire Dept. which is a pretty large department (about 700 now) just south of Baltimore City. I retired in 2007 after 36 years and my wife and I moved to Murrells Inlet SC. We sold the house recently and bought our first motorhome and have been full timing since July of this year. We are loving it so far.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
All, this is where we will try to reside our group "Retired Fire Service RVer's". Lets pass the. word. But please join the group so we can see our membership.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Discussion topic: Have you been involved in any emergencies since retired or while RVing? Would be fun to hear the stories.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Discussion topic: Have you been involved in any emergencies since retired or while RVing? Would be fun to hear the stories.
You guys have figured out by now how shy I am, so here goes:

We traveled to Athens, GA this past spring to attend our daughter's college graduation. While camping just south of Athens, we heard a commotion outside. Our daughter was visiting our camp, so she, my wife and I stepped out to see what was going on. The travel trailer across from us had a lot of smoke emitting from the underside, and flames running up the side and into a large pine tree. Somebody was yelling "Help her, she is still inside and is in a wheelchair"! My wife was on the cell calling 911, my daughter was stretching a garden hose, so I made entry but found nobody. Damn, a rescue would have felt great. Only light smoke inside, so went back outside and my daughter is telling folks to be careful with water since the fire appears to be electrical in nature. She was guarding the hose, and my wife shows up with a broom and a shovel. We kept the fire at bay until the first engine arrived, only took them about 5 minutes. The look on the firefighter's faces was priceless, I am sure they saw smoke from a mile away, and expected a working fire. We ruined that for them, but did manage to save the travel trailer. However, the next day the owner of the trailer told me he wished we had let it burn. I was really proud of the actions taken by my daughter and wife, I did not have to tell them to do anything. Made me damn proud! I am not sure about you guys, but it was weird being on the "other side" of a fire. Not sure if I would have done anything different, what do you all think? I do not worry about liability with fire calls, but I definitely worry about helping at medicals. BTW, the FD Investigator told me the official cause was due to the heat tape overheating on the fresh water hose.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Welcome to the group Ravens2012! I was on the hiring list in Montgomery county and Balto City in 1975 but decided to go west.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Great story firebug. I maintained my medic license for several year after retirement but an attorney told me if I was not affiliated with a agency I should let it expire then I would be covered by Good Samaritan laws and not subject to professional malpractice with a license.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
What a workout that was....trying to find where this group is/was located on this site was a chore. I posted my bio (below) on another thread and decided to move it over here with the hope that this thread becomes the official home of the Retired Fire Service Group.

Hi guys, happy to sign in! We've been weekend warriors for 7 years and are having a blast! Like Firebug5, I'm married to an ER RN, though both of us are retired now. I left the fire service in July of 12 and immediately moved to FL because you do not have to shovel warmth here.
I spent 29 years with a 200 man/8 station dept. which borders Boston to the south. AKA, the City of Quincy aka the City of Presidents (John Adams & John Quincy Adams born, raised and interred). A city with 26 miles of oceanfront exposure and a housing stock of multi-level, wood frames with balloon construction situated on <5k sq. ft. lots. Think of "cozy" when you think about our neighborhoods.
Ten years in I began studying for Lieut. and was promoted in 94, in 00 I studied for and was promoted to Capt. from which I retired from in 12. House Capt. of the 2nd busiest station in the city finally got to me in 2011 when a on the job injury to my shoulder did me in. Two surgeries later and months of rehab proved to me that I would not be able to complete the 32 years I had hoped for. Could have taken a day job but I've been humping hoseline for so long, I wasn't about to retire on a desk.
No regrets and thoroughly enjoying my retirement.
Hope to see you guys around a campfire someday.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Lol Lt46...mostly my fault but with FireBug5's help I think this will work..
Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Great story firebug. I maintained my medic license for several year after retirement but an attorney told me if I was not affiliated with a agency I should let it expire then I would be covered by Good Samaritan laws and not subject to professional malpractice with a license.
Thanks, Bill. That is exactly what I did. My wife retired several years after me, so she is still keeping all of her RN certs active. We will see how long that lasts!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #27

Well gang,
I was notified of this "Group" by one of you a day or so ago. My name is Scott and, I'm retired San Diego Fire Department. I started my fire service right out of high school with what was then, "California Division of Forestry". Now it's called "CAL-Fire". I spent a season with them. I backed off of the fire service for a short stint then, got the bug again and entered the USAF as a crash fire fighter.

Spent three years at that in McChord AFB in Tacoma WA and got out early due to an illness with my dad that he needed help with. I then entered the Federal Fire Department with the Navy Regional Medical Center in San Diego. Spent 2.5 years there. I finally hired on to SDFD and spent 30 years there. I retired as an Engineer 'cause that was my love and where the department got the most out of me. They wanted me to promote to Captain but, I was not having any. I loved what I did.

I've since been retired for about 5 years now and, the wife and I are in a brand new home here in Lake Havasu City, AZ. We travel from time to time, here and there and see what we want to see. But, I'm a tinkerer at heart. So, having a stick and brick place for me to dabble in whatever, is a need. Our new home has an RV garage built right on to it that is adjacent to the two car garage. So, I can goof around with the big beast without ever entering the outside which, as many of you know, can get a bit warm here in Lake Havasu.

In the 30 year stint with SDFD, I spent 24 years in an overtime assignment as Lead Outfitter for brand new fire trucks. As you all know, when a new fire truck arrives, it's a rolling empty tool box. So, mine and, a crews job was to outfit it with everything needed for service. That was a great assignment for that long.

Anyway, glad it's all behind me (us) now and we enjoy every day (oh, and night, not having to get up and race around). When I see a fire truck go by with sirens blaring and horns a blasting, all I think of is, "have fun boys".

The wife and I enjoy boating with out new to us boat, riding everywhere possible with our 2008 Honda Goldwing GL 1800 and, our little companion, a two and half year old Schnauzer, Sophie. Glad to be here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Scott. Great bio. Jump in anytime. Char and will be through ur area next fall amd will winter in Az