Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #43

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great bio mr mayor...I bet the local loves your support? I was a founding member of local 2850..even as Deputy Chief we had great mutual respect and great accomplishments together.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Except when I can't give them the 4-6 percent raises they want...

CutieFac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #45

Excel Owners Club
I hear ya...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
I know there are more retired firefighters out there on the road in RVs. I meet a couple at Rvacation in NC a few months ago that were retired from Chicago FD. Will get me wife to dig out their info. Anyone in this group heading south for the winter?????
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #47

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired vol. Captain from Saulston VFD Wayne County N.C. also was a Commander of a shift fire brigade while working 32 yrs. at a Dupont plant in Kinston, N.C.. Presently waiting for wife to retire from BB&T Wilson, N.C. Then off we go!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #48

Country Coach Owners Club
Welcome to all our new members. Glad to meet you and welcome you to our group.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #49

Excel Owners Club
Mission Tx for the winter next month. Did Florida last year.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #50

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens2012 View Post
I know there are more retired firefighters out there on the road in RVs. I meet a couple at Rvacation in NC a few months ago that were retired from Chicago FD. Will get me wife to dig out their info. Anyone in this group heading south for the winter?????
Hello, Roy and Bonnie.

We usually head to the Tucson area between January and April, have a few things we have to get done first at our place. We will keep you posted, where do you folks head to?

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
As this is our first winter full timing we are not going to the south of Fla. We are going to Florida Grande which is in Webster Fla. Spending the month of Nov in Myrtle Beach loaded up with Dr. visits.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #52

Excel Owners Club
Ok, here goes. I think I joined the group, but not sure.
I got my first taste of fire as aircraft crash firefighter/pilot rescue while in the navy and LOVED IT!! Did some time on USS Coral Sea CVA 43 aircraft carrier. Which was even more fun! Met the DW in California. Got out of the navy, worked around for a while, ended up in the Texas panhandle. A friend recruited me on the volunteer dept while I worked for a natural gas pipeline company. At some point in the next 5yrs. I discovered they would PAY you to be a firefighter! The most fun job in the world AND get paid? Where do I sign up? Left a really good paying job, moved to Mesa, AZ. and started taking entrance exams. Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Yuma where a guy from Prescott told me about Farmington, NM. Drove back to Mesa, called Farmington, the personnel director filled out my app. Drove to Farmington the next week, took the entrance test's. That was Nov. 1977. May 1978, started with FFD. 21 years later, retired. Worked with Bill , chief02, most of those years. Had a lot of ups and a lot of downs, but wouldn't take anything for the experience. And Bill and I and a lot of other guys survived the world's worst chief!!
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #53

Excel Owners Club
Am I the only one that was so thrilled beyond imagination to be a fire fighter that you remember your first shifts on the job, like it was yesterday?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #54

Excel Owners Club
My first shift included green chille and tortillas at lunch. And being from New Jersey I had never seen in my life! Yes remember it like yesterday. Boy was this yankee teased.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #55

Excel Owners Club
My second day on the job was the Thriftway refinery fire. We loaded all the foam concentrate into Clyde's pickup and I was told to take it to the refinery in Aztec. Problem was I didn't have any idea where Aztec was!! So, I drove toward the header. Ahhhh.....those were the days.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
Am I the only one that was so thrilled beyond imagination to be a fire fighter that you remember your first shifts on the job, like it was yesterday?
The hazing that went on during my first shift would have cost several folks their jobs today! But I would not change a single second of it, either.

We caught a working fire on my first shift (won the plug pool!). We were using 5" LDH and would take a supply line in with us, so I was waiting for the engine to stop, running the procedure thru my head as I could see the smoke plume ahead. Suddenly, the Driver-Engineer jammed on the brakes, came to an abrupt stop, so I bailed off the side seat and grabbed the plug. We continued up the road (Oak Lawn blvd on the north side of the downtown area in Dallas) when suddenly we stopped again. The Captain was screaming at the top of his lungs at me, it appears the Driver-Engineer had only braked for a car that had stopped in front of us, and I took a hydrant a mile before the fire! I had to disconnect the line and leave it against the curb. I did finally take the correct plug, but NEVER lived that down.

So do I miss it? I still remember the way the vinyl chairs used to stick to your skin on a hot, humid summer day in the TV room, the smell of diesel fumes in the bay, and the sound of the Federal-Q wind-up siren blowing your ear drums out as the wind blew tears into your eyes riding to the next alarm. Yeah, I miss it. Never was a job to me, simply getting paid to do what I loved. Anybody else?

Bruce

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote