Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Retirement spot

We have been using the rv to search for our retirement place. We have lived all our lives very closed to the beach and won't be moving inland. We would like something within walking distance to a beach.
We have searched a lot of places in florida but have been going their for over 30 years so not sure about that. Going to look at Southport NC in late September early October. We are actually headed to florida in a few weeks we have a family house in Daytona beach(port orange) I really like the Ponce Inlet area in Daytona. Heading over to the west coast to check out Port Charlotte then some vacation time in Siesta Key.
Any and all suggestions appreciated.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Don't know if it's even an option for you but the West Coast beaches are beautiful, with year round RV'ing opportunities all around, and without all the humidity.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
My favorite beach town is Fernandina Beach, Florida, hands down. Great place to live and visit.
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Going now to visit the west coast of Fl is much different than going during season. Traffic is horrible during season! Perosnally I would look into the panhandle, it does bit chilly or Daytona north. I like a more natural beach, where I would no have to be up at the crack of dawn in hopes to find a unique she'll or driftwood.
I live in the Tampa area over 20 years and before that 10 years in WPB. Even Tampa/New Port Richey is getting busy. Good luck and share your hidden gem if you need neighbors.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
I think the panhandle seems nice
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Anywhere around Orange Beach (Alabama) and Pensacola is my current preference. That is some sweeeeeet sand.

And I could eat at Lambert's Café anytime I want to. (Foley Alabama) Pure heaven just imagining it.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
We chose our retirement house location because it has four distinct seasons, but doesn't get too cold in winter. On the only one of Washington's gorgeous San Juan Islands you can drive to, and a nice small-town ambience (18,000 pop.), Anacortes suits us ex-pat Brits very well.

Highs in the mid-70's in summer, overnight frosts in mid winter occasionally and low humidity most of the time. When I leave here, I'll be wearing a wooden overcoat!
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Anywhere around Orange Beach (Alabama) and Pensacola is my current preference. That is some sweeeeeet sand.

And I could eat at Lambert's Café anytime I want to. (Foley Alabama) Pure heaven just imagining it.

X2 on Lambert's. It really depends on what temp range is desired over the winter. The really "sweet spot" in Florida is down south of the I4 corridor. Wonderful winters and the summer heat is really no worse and some times better than the panhandle.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I doubt that you could find a more pleasant place to live than San Diego County. I have been to all 50 states, and nowhere else comes close in so many ways. It stretches from the beach to across the mountains and down to the desert. Enough variety to keep you busy for decades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandiegocounty.png
Views:	43
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	131764  

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
The west coast except for the bigger cities like Sarasota and Tampa, is much more laid back than the whole east coast IMHO. Punta Gorda was recently named a top retirement location. Traffic is worse but not horrendous in season. Near waterfront can be pricey anywhere. We like it.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
I have lived in Port Charlotte for 15 years and love it for numerous reasons. Does it get busy when the snow birds arrive, yup pretty much all sunny, warm places on Fla does.
Panhandle is just too cool in the winter months.If it snows there then I am not far enough south. Their is only 2 RV parks ON the gulf of Mexico on the west coast. One in Ft Myers Beach ( Red Coconut) and one on the south end of Siesta Key but it is a County owned Park and only a few sites. Port Charlotte offers numerous RV Parks within blocks of the Gulf come check it out
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
My Dad retired to Ormond Beach, FL in 1974. Visited him several times and really loved the area. He was right on the inter coastal waterway north of Daytona Beach. The beach sand awesome but I could handle the humidity and insects about as well as the rain in the PNW (though Anacortes is very nice and only 28" of rain a year) so we spend most of our time in Southern California. Our favorite beach area is Ventura.

We still maintain legal residence in WA, but we follow the sun and don't like excessive heat nor humidity. Hence, Southern California/Arizona for 8 months out of the year.
Bill and Debb---2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport---Roadmaster Falcon 5250 -
1 Cavalon (Scooby)
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
My favorite beach town is Fernandina Beach, Florida, hands down. Great place to live and visit.
Where are there places for RV's near Fernandina Beach?
Charles and Beverly
1996 Fleetwood Wilderness 35' TT.
Hunting for a Class A DP for us.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
We bought a lot in Orange Beach Al and love it here. Not retired yet but it will be here when we do. The are several parks that are owned lots in this area. Some on or near the water and some inland. Just depends on how much you want to pay.

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote