Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 07:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retiring!!!

One more week until retirement date!!!!! Can hardly wait. Two days after that the DW and I hit the road for the summer. Unfortunately we have to be back by Labor Day for my DW to go back to work (teacher). The DW has to work another few years so our travel until then will be mostly summers and her breaks + weekends at our seasonal site - although I may sprinkle in a few short solo trips.

This summer we are doing a big loop, mostly the northeast. We start by visiting family in D.C. and Louisville, KY but after that it is vacation travel. Our loop will take us to NJ - DC - WV - KY - OH - PA - NY (Lake George) - VT (Lake Champlain and White Mountains) - NH - ME (entire coast from Lubec on down) - MA (Boston area to visit son and Cape Cod) - CT (visit relatives) - NJ (Home). Can't wait to hit the road. Also we will be taking our new dog, Ella, that we just rescued last week.

First solo trip will be in September to go to Camp Freightliner.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RETIREMENT. Oh, you going to so love it. I am in my 16th year. I was very blessed I was able to retire at the age of 55. I have SO ENJOYED BEING RETIRED. i am never bored. My hobbies keep me busy.
Your first retirement trip sounds AWESOME!!!!!! Pos lots of pictures here. Something I have to learn how to do. Have a great summer. And the next few years will go by in a hurry. Then you won't have to head home by Labor Day.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.

Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Woodworker414: One of my first projects is to create a travel blog to capture all of our travels. Have started work seeing it up but it hasn't gone live yet. It will be www.shandyrvtravels.com
Old 06-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the info Randy.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

Congrats! A word of warning, you will love it and never want to go home. Prior to us going fulltime we had an option on some land. We were going to use the new to us 5th wheel for vacations and to live in while we built a house. Every time we took the 5th wheel out we never wanted to go home. Hmmm. . .gave up the option on the land, sold the current house, quit our jobs and hit the road. That was March 9, 2006. No regrets, we have had to volunteer as park hosts part of the year for financial reasons but it's been great. Safe travels
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I would like to try full timing, but so far my DW is not game for that. She wants a home base. Also, we have our first granddaughter coming this October, so that will be a pull to get us back to NJ. In fact I am concerned about DW willingness to take long trips such as Alaska or out west. May have to periodically store the RV at some local and fly back home to visit the granddaughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
Congrats! A word of warning, you will love it and never want to go home. Prior to us going fulltime we had an option on some land. We were going to use the new to us 5th wheel for vacations and to live in while we built a house. Every time we took the 5th wheel out we never wanted to go home. Hmmm. . .gave up the option on the land, sold the current house, quit our jobs and hit the road. That was March 9, 2006. No regrets, we have had to volunteer as park hosts part of the year for financial reasons but it's been great. Safe travels
Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations! I have seven more months to go.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the 6 Saturday's and a Sunday club. My guess is before 6 months is up, you will be wondering how you ever had time to work. LOL. Enjoy it all you can, I have not found anything better... Retired in 2006.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Retired at 54 , 57 now I am really getting good at retired .... Hardest thing for me is seeing the wife off to work in the morning.... she always wakes me up when she leaves ... lol.. enjoy
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations! Retirement will be the best job you never had!
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I've been retired now for 6 months and absolutely love it!! DW and I are headed up to Oregon and then through Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois and then into Michigan by August 15 for the Woodward Cruise. We then are headed back to Cally via the Route 66. Should be just under 6,000 miles and three weeks on the road. God I love being retired!!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations! We hope you have a load of fun! DW retires in 2 weeks ... but she has to wait a long 17 additional Mondays for me. Before the end of the year we will be hot on your tail! WooHoo! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I "retired" at 51 in 1999, then went back to work waiting for the DW to retire. Now that she's retired we just found out that she has liver cancer so we may never get to enjoy retirement!
So, get out there and enjoy it when you can as you never know what the future holds!

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote