Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

Retrofit Onan Carb with Commercial Onan Fuel Injection?

Anyone tried this.
Is there a kit available?
Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #2

Why would you try? I'm sure way too much work and cost to convert...if EFI is a must...sell your carbed version and buy an EFI version

Old 01-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #3

I think it would take years to get your money back in fuel saved IMO.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
That sounds like an interesting conversion. Please keep us informed. Welcome to IRV2.

The Onan engine was made by Linamar. You might find parts at Smallenginewarehouse dot com
Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Not after fuel savings, want to avoid carb gumup

My service folks tell me the Onan carb is not servicable/rebuildable and that a new one is necessary every time the gas gets old. I do not want to deal with that issue.
Cheers!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLew View Post
My service folks tell me the Onan carb is not servicable/rebuildable and that a new one is necessary every time the gas gets old. I do not want to deal with that issue.
Cheers!
I was a ser. mgr. at a RV dearership. We always had from 60 to 100 motorhomes in stock at any one time. Onan says to run a gen for two hours each month.(under load) For the 15 years I was ser. mgr., We ran them for 30 min. every other month, with no problems. I have done the same thing with all 5 of my motorhomes with no problems. I don't think every other month is any great bother.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I liked the FI Onan in our previous coach, when I got tired of adjusting altitude on our current carb. coach, I looked into converting the unit to FI. The information I received was, I needed an additional fuel return line back to the fuel tank, not worth the effort.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLew View Post
Cheers!
Boy, they saw you coming. I find it hard to believe that a carb can't be cleaned, no matter how old the gas was or how long it sat with gas in the carb. I have been around engines for over 55 years and have never seen or had a carb that couldn't be restored to working order as long as it wasn't physically damaged.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Boy, they saw you coming. I find it hard to believe that a carb can't be cleaned, no matter how old the gas was or how long it sat with gas in the carb. I have been around engines for over 55 years and have never seen or had a carb that couldn't be restored to working order as long as it wasn't physically damaged.
Your ending is the answer. The carb. is made in such a way that you have to damage it to disassemble it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #10

OK, never had or seen one like that, but I can picture it. Still, I would think that a good soaking in carb cleaner would dissolve any varnish.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Your ending is the answer. The carb. is made in such a way that you have to damage it to disassemble it.
I removed and cleaned the carb on my 98 onan 5000. You have to pay attention to the altitude setting to make sure you put back to same place. Other than that I didn't damage anything. It runs fine now after setting for 12 years and only had 2.6 hours on it.
There is somthing new out now that will clean your carb to like new without taking it off the generator. It's called "Start your engine" and wallyworld carries, is pricy for the size, but it works. You will have to mix it in a gallon container and run a hose to the generator fuel pump to run it thru. It disolves the crud from the old gas. I didn't know about it before I rebuilt my carb but have used it on chain saws and mowers since and has worked on all of them. Still best to run your generator monthly and put stabil in your tank if storing it for the winter.

Jim & Ruby

Tags
fuel, onan