Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #29

Just for information. Before GM sold the RV chassis business to Workhorse, they actually made a wide track kit for the front suspension of P-30 chassis. This was back in the mid 90's, and the kit consisted of longer A-arms, different springs, steering linkage, etc. When installed on a motorhome, the front tires were in line with the outside rear duals, but did not rub the wheel wells (On the then current Safari Trek). BTW, I remember the price was around $3000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I do not think you will notice any improvement in stability.

I do think the wheels will hit the fenders when you try to turn

So that makes it not recommended,, Modifying the fenders will put you over width and make your vehicle illegal on all roads.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
Just turning the dual rim around does not change the lug load, it changes the spring load due to the extended leverage applied...
It does not change the spring load by any significant amount, as the pivot points do not change. In order to change the spring load, the A-arm would have to be longer. The real leverage is against the A-arm bushings, not the spring.
Thought of a different way, as the suspension moves up and down, the axle stays fairly level. So regardless of how long the axle is, the axle does not move. Only the vehicle moves up and down. Since the axle does not move (significantly) its length is not part of the equation.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #31
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Just for information. Before GM sold the RV chassis business to Workhorse, they actually made a wide track kit for the front suspension of P-30 chassis. This was back in the mid 90's, and the kit consisted of longer A-arms, different springs, steering linkage, etc. When installed on a motorhome, the front tires were in line with the outside rear duals, but did not rub the wheel wells (On the then current Safari Trek). BTW, I remember the price was around $3000.
That's the correct way to widen the track because it addresses all of the geometry issues. The biggest problem as I see it is scrub radius because the "reversed" wheels would be pivoting outside of center of the steering axis, and the scrub radius would be huge, kind of like a go kart. Any one wheel bump would cause the other wheel to twist backwards because it looses the counter-effect of the "bumped" wheel. Here is what I mean. The tire in this example will not twist because the scrub radius is close to zero, meaning that the tire pivots on the steering axis.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #32

After checking the bearing types and the loads applied it is not feasible without major machine work to revamp the front end geometry, a new mohome would be cheaper.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Or just buy the kit that was already engineered and sold for this purpose.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #34

Another thing to take into consideration is the proximity of the tie rods to the support plate on the wheel. Many times the center is offset to the outside to allow for tie rod clearance when turning corners.

Some years ago I purchased a used wheel to replace one that had been damaged on the front of my Chevy pickup. I didn't realize the difference in offset until I tried to drive the truck. Right turns were normal, but the tie rod ran into the rim when trying to make a left turn. Luckily I found that out when backing out of the drive rather than trying to make a left turn at an intersection.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #35

I'll see if I can find a kit, $3,000 seems reasonable enough.

Thanks for this info, much appreciated
Old 01-30-2015, 04:18 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Wise choice Oh Mentor... ��. You have found your solution that is safe for your self and everyone around you. Thanks George. My suggestion was to just put dullies up front, cheaper, would kinda look cool, no math or engineering into the thought process LOL That's what's great about this forum once you wade thru the BS (mine included) not so relevant but often humours answers sometimes. Thank God for this country and the right to voice an opinion.
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #37

I was about to post that the wide track kit has not been available for a long time, but remembered a post on the Safari TREK Tracks forum; Jon Brazel, of Brazel's RV Performance, claims to have a few kits available https://www.brazelsrv.com/ Apparently, it's actually a workhorse kit. $3500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I'll see if I can find a kit, $3,000 seems reasonable enough.

Thanks for this info, much appreciated
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The wheel bearings are designed fo the load based on the wheel offset as mounted. reversing the wheel will over load the bearings and lead to a bearing failure.

Ken
the load is on the hub and studs the hub has no idea how the rim is mounted

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote