Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #1

Carolina Campers
Right and left turning cameras

I am wondering if there is a right and left turning camera, that maybe attaches to the mirror, that shows what is coming down the road versus just looking down the right or left side of the coach.

I have a new coach ordered (2014.5 Thor Challenger 37GT). It has a side camera that is built into the mirror, but I believe I will only be able to see down the side of the coach.

I have had several situations with my old coach (no side cameras), especially when driving without a copilot, where I could not see oncoming traffic when trying to make a turn. I just thought this could be resolved with an extra set of cameras that point out down the road, versus down the side.

Anyone else have that type of camera, or other thought on this subject?

Thanks,
Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.... I think you're asking about cameras pointed forward instead of (or in addition to) those pointed back along the sides of the coach? Do you think this would provide a better viewing angle because the camera would be well outside the cockpit?

I've never seen anything like this but it's an interesting idea.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

My side cameras show the entire lanes on that side and far astern. Both for this coach and the previous. No blind spots.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hmmm.... I think you're asking about cameras pointed forward instead of (or in addition to) those pointed back along the sides of the coach? Do you think this would provide a better viewing angle because the camera would be well outside the cockpit? I've never seen anything like this but it's an interesting idea. Rick
Well, at least pointed directly to the left and to the right versus to the back. In other words, when making a left turn (across traffic), I'd like to see down the road to the right of the coach, not just down the right side of the coach. Or when turning right, and the lane is already turned right a bit, you can't see down the road to the left side of the coach for the oncoming traffic.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I am wondering if there is a right and left turning camera, that maybe attaches to the mirror, that shows what is coming down the road versus just looking down the right or left side of the coach.

I have a new coach ordered (2014.5 Thor Challenger 37GT). It has a side camera that is built into the mirror, but I believe I will only be able to see down the side of the coach.

I have had several situations with my old coach (no side cameras), especially when driving without a copilot, where I could not see oncoming traffic when trying to make a turn. I just thought this could be resolved with an extra set of cameras that point out down the road, versus down the side.

Anyone else have that type of camera, or other thought on this subject?

Thanks,
Ted
I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get your new coach, between the side camera's and a glance at the mirror, you'll have no problem checking out the lane next to you.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My side cameras show the entire lanes on that side and far astern. Both for this coach and the previous. No blind spots.
Maybe the side cameras that are built into the mirrors will have a wider angle than I thought.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Maybe the side cameras that are built into the mirrors will have a wider angle than I thought.
How was the camera presentation on the screen when you test drove one?

BTW, Side cams do not look directly right and left looking for cross traffic like you and a copilot would.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
How was the camera presentation on the screen when you test drove one? BTW, Side cams do not look directly right and left looking for cross traffic like you and a copilot would.
In regard to down the right and left side, that seemed great, especially because I don't have side cameras on my old coach. But it has been a while and at the time I did not consider this concern.