RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #15

Thanks F4Gary and artFD.

I just sent an email to the owner requesting a refund of $908 due to the normal and customary cost of a transmission fluid change is up to $250. And they didn't even do a good job on this one since they didn't flush it till it ran clear, fill the amount to the appropriate level on the dipstick and left a screw off the pan and another loose. We're lucky they didn't ruin the entire transmission.

micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #16

Ripped off in Sante Fe by Hal Burns Truck, RV and Equipment Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
If payment was made via credit card dispute the charge.

Why? A shop that charges high prices for service that many disagree with isnít that he same thing as fraud.

Being unhappy and/or sour grapes at the service isnít something to dispute with the CC company. The place did work and you paid the bill. I doubt the credit card company will do anything, nor should they.

If you signed on the bottom line and willfully paid the bill, it was a legitimate transaction.

325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #17

One of the hazards of RV travel is (A) the inability to work on your own vehicle as most campgrounds don't allow it and (B) the inability to seek out a competent shop on a moments notice in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately, it's the nature of travel and there's not a whole lot you can do. Try to find recommended shops on here and other web sites and do what little research you can while sitting broke down on the side of the road. It's always easier and cheaper to fix things in your own driveway.

I can't imagine why a CC company would give you any relief. You agreed to the fix and approved payment by signing the charge ticket. All they're concerned with is the validity of your agreement to pay. They don't warranty the work.

All you can or could do is take it up with the shop owner. Since most shop owners know it's unlikely you'll ever be back for either warranty or future work they aren't highly motivated to reach an amicable conclusion to any disputes but it's worth a try.

I chalk those things up as just a hazard of travelling outside your home area and move on. Over the years I've found that beating your head against the wall just gives you a headache. They wall doesn't care.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #18

Hohenwald,

That is good advice. But there is one more thing I can do. Let other people know so they aren't taken advantage of by the same people.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #19

Exclamation Leaving transmission pan screws loose is a BIG DEAL

Just saying...
artfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Why? A shop that charges high prices for service that many disagree with isnít that he same thing as fraud.

Being unhappy and/or sour grapes at the service isnít something to dispute with the CC company. The place did work and you paid the bill. I doubt the credit card company will do anything, nor should they.

If you signed on the bottom line and willfully paid the bill, it was a legitimate transaction.

^^^^^Wrong, wrong, wrong
Dispute this with your CC company!
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
One of the hazards of RV travel is (A) the inability to work on your own vehicle as most campgrounds don't allow it and (B) the inability to seek out a competent shop on a moments notice in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately, it's the nature of travel and there's not a whole lot you can do. Try to find recommended shops on here and other web sites and do what little research you can while sitting broke down on the side of the road. It's always easier and cheaper to fix things in your own driveway.

I can't imagine why a CC company would give you any relief. You agreed to the fix and approved payment by signing the charge ticket. All they're concerned with is the validity of your agreement to pay. They don't warranty the work.

All you can or could do is take it up with the shop owner. Since most shop owners know it's unlikely you'll ever be back for either warranty or future work they aren't highly motivated to reach an amicable conclusion to any disputes but it's worth a try.

I chalk those things up as just a hazard of travelling outside your home area and move on. Over the years I've found that beating your head against the wall just gives you a headache. They wall doesn't care.

Disagree. Dispute with your CC company. And send a letter to the BBB and state attorney generalís office (copy the company).
Youíd be supprised what that can accomplish.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
Disagree. Dispute with your CC company. And send a letter to the BBB and state attorney generalís office (copy the company).
Youíd be supprised what that can accomplish.
The OP can do all of that but i have a feeling it won't help him in particular. The shop did provide labor and parts. It may have been shoddy work but it might be hard to prove. In this case, it's the OP's word against the shop's.

On the other hand, he should probably file the complaints since they would be recorded and possibly used with other complaints to show an ongoing pattern. Who knows, the OP's might be the one that gets an investigation going.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #23

Please, put reviews on every internet site you can find. Just create an account and copy/paste your note into each one.
Yelp, Google are probably the most popular, and that RV service place someone put the link into a prior post etc. It will really help other folks out that check reviews prior to heading to a service shop. -Bill
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Hohenwald,

That is good advice. But there is one more thing I can do. Let other people know so they aren't taken advantage of by the same people.
Absolutely. And thanks for doing so.

I hope you let us know the final outcome when it's behind you.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
I use rvservicereviews.com
Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
I use rvservicereviews.com
That site has the place rated as excellent
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
That site has the place rated as excellent
.... and not only one happy customer.... many.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #28

I sent an e-mail to the owner who claimed there was an error in the bill. They refunded the $100 transmission fluid check, $100 test drive and $100 diagnostic computer hook up (that didn't pull any codes). They also refunded $100 for customer satisfaction. So we got $400 back.

But for those who think cc disputes don't work they also told us that we had revoked the charges and the money had been withdrawn from their account. We thought this was a fresh scam so contacted our cc company who verified that the charge was still valid and they had the money. When I sent this info to the repair shop they apologized and said it was another customer who had prevailed in a dispute and had their money refunded.

I suspect this is why we had such a quick resolution. They knew that there was an established pattern with the cc company ruling in the customer's favor. Our cc company encouraged us to dispute it.

We have not decided if we will take further action or just let the $400 refund stand.

I suspect they occasionally give good service to get a some good reviews but more often than not they probably pull their dirty tricks on unsuspecting customers. I don't know why the person who prevailed in their dispute did not post a review. Sometimes sites will pull down negative reviews or people are intimidated to post them so it doesn't hurt their case when they are dealing with disputes.

Tags
service