Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

Ripped off in Sante Fe by Hal Burns Truck, RV and Equipment Services

I thought this deserved a special post because others may want to avoid this shop.

We were thankful that Hal Burns Truck would take a look at our RV this past week when we started having problems with our transmission not shifting out of first. We had called a transmission shop and they said it sounded like something simple that Hal Burns could handle.

They test drove it (maybe 15 min. tops), checked the fluid and hooked up a diagnostic computer (maybe 20 min tops). On their bill they charged $203.75 labor for the test drive and checking the fluid. They also charged $100 to hook up the diagnostic computer which was not able to pull any codes. So for around 30 min or so of trying to figure out what to do they charged $303.

They generously offered to let us stay in their lot over night so they could continue the next day. At this point we had NOT seen the charges for the current day as we would NOT have stayed if we saw how they operated.

The next day they recommended a transmission fluid flush but cautioned it might not solve the problem because they did not know what was wrong. We agreed to the flush.

They attempted to flush but could not so blew out the transmission cooler line and then flushed. They ended the flush while the fluid was still coming out dirty because they were worried they were using too much fluid. So we didn't even get a proper flush.

They had not at this stage ordered the replacement filter so then they waited around for that to be delivered. They had the wrong one delivered so then waited for a different one to be delivered.

They put in synthetic transmission fluid without asking us. They felt that the fluid did not need to be put in up to the hot mark because it was synthetic.

For this they charged $719.13. When we questioned the bill they mentioned the two test drives the guy had done, before and after the work.

So for $1,158.01 they replaced our transmission fluid with very costly synthetic fluid on a transmission that likely will have to be taken apart anyways to actually solve the problem.

I asked the cost to replace the transmission and they said about $3200. But because we felt they were really over charging us for the fluid flush we decided to take the RV home and have it worked on there.

I just wanted to warn other about the unethical practices of this shop. We were obviously naive not to ask the charge every step of the way but we have had work done twice while on the road and had never felt we were taken advantage of this way.

If they had said $100 to test drive. $100 to hook up the diagnostic computer. $100 to check the fluid level & $719 to flush and refill the fluid we never would have gone to this shop.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, some places will do that, knowing that you won't be back. And, knowing you are out of the area they know you won't sue.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Did it resolve the issue ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Did it resolve the issue ?
Doesn't sound like it did.

Quote:
So for $1,158.01 they replaced our transmission fluid with very costly synthetic fluid on a transmission that likely will have to be taken apart anyways to actually solve the problem
This doesn't sound like the OP's problem but we used to have a 1994 Rockwood Bayport with the GM chassis that developed a similar problem. The alternator went out on one trip and when battery voltage got low enough, it went into what i assume was "limp" mode. The engine would run but the transmission would not shift out of first. We only had about 25 miles to go so jumping to the charged house battery got us home ok. A rebuilt alternator took care of the problem.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #5

Mudfrog,

You are making me think we should be checking the electrical. You are correct the flush did not resolve the issue. However we did have one strange instance of the battery compartment having some type of loose connection prior to the trip. The engine didn't start and the step did not go out. But then when we checked the battery compartment it started working without any obvious cause.

We will look into some type of overnight battery drain. This is a very good tip you have given us!

Thanks!!!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Out of curiosity I checked BBB's Santa Fe site and this company is rated A+. One reason for that, given what sounds like anything BUT A+ service, maybe no one takes the time to complain to the right people.

If they really are that highly-rated, I would at least make contact with the owner and see what their attitude about the whole thing is. If that didn't work, I'd consider contacting BBB. It's one way to help get the word out...good or bad.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The BBB is, on some cases, pretty useless, plus some will "sell" you a good rating. We used to have a business, the BBB called and for a certain "donation" they would give us a better, longer duration rating.
One time I filed a complaint against a MH dealer involving a free television offer. The BBB took the dealers side after the dealer wrote them a letter stating we had agreed to drop the complaint which was totally false. I wrote a letter of rebuttal which the BBB rejected. Luckily the WA AG's office agreed with me and I eventually got the free television.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Thanks GuyG, that is a good suggestion.

In the mean time, thanks to another poster we learned that we have a very popular transmission so there is alot of info on how to fix it.

Per this article, under the "stuck in a certain gear" section we replaced a speed sensor yesterday.
4L80E transmission problems | The Truck Stop

My husband picked up the part at Advanced Auto. He also asked the guy working there what he thought and the guy also recommended the same speed sensor solution as he had the same problem on his truck and that is what fixed it. Part cost $35. Time for husband to install = very little. Took more time to go to Lowes and get the missing drain pan screw the Hal Burns tech. did not put back in.

It shifted really smooth afterwards. You couldn't even tell it was shifting so that sensor replacement did something. We are going to test the "stuck in first gear until it warms up" problem this morning as it snowed here over night and see if it is still there.

When we were on the road I called a transmission shop and they said it sounded like something simple, a sensor or the fan clutch. They are the ones that referred us to Hal Burns. Said they referred this problem to them all the time and was an easy fix. I told the manager at Hal Burns about both the sensor and fan clutch suggestions. My guess is he already knew this. The way our bill reads it looks like they were out to cheat us all along. Most auto stores will hook up a diagnostic computer for free to read the codes. Hal Burns hooked up an incompatible computer (you would think they would know it wasn't the right type of tool for our transmission) and then charged us $100 when it couldn't read any codes because it wasn't the right tool. The whole bill just had us in total shock. We had never seen such a blatant case of trying to rip someone off.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #9

Do your report on this site. Here are other folks comments on this facility:

RV Service Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #10

3 Cheers for Advanced Auto Parts

$35 and less than a half hour of work fixed the problem. We could have been in and out of a competent shop in an hour or two and for less than $200. We could have continued our trip instead of coming all the way home.

Here is the part we put in, BWD Vehicle Speed Sensor

S8203 Sensor by BWD.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...203/18480644-P

Transmission shifted beautifully this morning.

Just hope Hal Burns didn't ruin anything else by hooking their equipment up backwards, trying to blow out a check valve on the coolant lines, and leaving a screw out of the drain pan along with not tightening the screws they did put back.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

If payment was made via credit card dispute the charge.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #12

Thanks 2gypsies. I posted a review on that web site.

I also called the referring transmission shop and told them about the charges. They said they would no longer refer people to Hal Burns. They were stunned at the excessive charges.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
If payment was made via credit card dispute the charge.
Yes, do this.
And if you are a Motorhome mag subscriber, send an email to their "Hot Line" column and maybe they can get some of your money back.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #14

Exclamation "We had never seen such a blatant case of trying to rip someone off. "

It was certainly an expensive rip-off. Some times it seems like there are more scamsters than legitimate business operators. I bought an Elantra new for cash in 2012. I took it for a free new owner checkout & 1st oil change at the same dealer. They tried to "upsell" me on a special offer to lubricate the disk brake sliding pins for a measly $280. This in a vehicle with less than 4000 miles on it, and not much different than offering to change the hydraulic fluid in the turn signal mechanism. I told the dealer's spokesman nothing but "no", and left, never to return again.
artfd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service