RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Road side Assistance Company's

I would like to talk about roadside assistance plans. I've always had AAA for my automobiles . When I got my Motor Home I signed up for Good Sams Roadside. Went 10 months without a problem. Coming home from a trip I had an inside blow-out. Pulled over on the side of the interstate and Began my telephone Ordeal. Basically they couldn't help me for less than $1,000. I limped 25 miles to a truck stop and got a tire and installed for $600. The Good Sams was Useless. I got home and canceled my Good Sams.
My Question is what is a GOOD HELPFUL Legimante, RV Roadside assistance

rmikelee545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #2

I have been very happy with Coach-Net. been towed at least 4 times with there service at no cost. I carry an un mounted spare had a blowout out inside dual 5:00 PM rush time traffic I 95 in VA. they located someone to change the tire and mount my spare total cost $160.00

doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another vote here for CoachNet. We've been with them since we bought our first travel trailer almost 13 years ago and are extremely happy with them. When I've called CoachNet in the past, the customer service rep has always answered, "CoachNet, so-and-so speaking. Are you in a safe place?" I really like that the safety of their clients is their first concern.

We've called on them three times that I remember. When we had a flat on the trailer somewhere in the middle of southern Colorado my husband and son were able to swap it with our spare and CoachNet had a new tire waiting for us at a small shop in Durango when we passed through two days later. In addition to giving us the name and address of the shop, they even passed along the cell phone number of the mechanic who was holding the tire for us so we could let him know when we'd be on our way in.

The second time we called, it was because our son had gone off the road in bad winter weather and needed to be winched back up to the pavement. CoachNet didn't have a towing firm on contract in our area, so they told us to call whoever we wanted and have the company bill them directly. When the tow truck driver found out we had CoachNet, he told us they were great to work with and always paid promptly. Our impression was that some other companies do not.

The third time we called, we had blown a wheel bearing which damaged the axle on our first travel trailer. We were on an interstate four states away from home. It took CoachNet longer this time to find someone to help us, but they succeeded and within three hours we were safely tucked in at a truck and trailer repair facility. The staff there worked extremely hard to get us back on the road and safely home.

We remain fans of CoachNet because the company provides dependable customer service at a reasonable price and they have always come through for us when we needed help.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have had Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2001 but will be changing to FMCA at the next renewal date!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Coach Net for many years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

Switched from good Sam to FMCA 3 years ago due to hearing too many stories about good Sam. Used FMCA twice with excellent service. Greg
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

If you don't have a spare, nobody will help.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very few Class A carry a spare and if I did have one no way I could lift it or have the 24,000-pound jacks and jack stands, and tools for but 22.5" tire on my Class A. Being inside dual I won't even attempt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
If you don't have a spare, nobody will help.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!!

If you will search in the green box at the top of the page for "roadside assistance" you will get thousands upon thousands of threads for roadside assistance threads.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmikelee545 View Post
Basically they couldn't help me for less than $1,000.

I have Good Sam, but have never had to use it (knock on wood). I'm reading enough stories that when my renewal comes up, I'll go elsewhere, probably Coach-Net, but perhaps FMCA.

Can you tell us more about why they thought you should be paying them $1000 to send someone to help? If they try that with me, I'll be letting them know that I'm turning them in to the Attorney General's office and whatever insurance fraud dept there is and then will follow through.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #11

Used the roadside assistance with State Farm. Had two separate issues, one with a tire and the other a battery. Both were resolved at no cost to me BUT you have to do a lot of the work in searching out satisfactory help. The roadside assistance is managed by a third party and they have little to no idea as to how to help someone with a “diesel city bus” using “semi truck tires”. Once I got them to understand this was not a little travel trailer with car tires all went well. I’ve subsequently learned to get permission from them to schedule the assistance myself and they reimburse me. Make sure to get an email outlining what they will allow and, if there is anything a bit “odd”, and there will almost certainly be something strange, again have them email what they will/will not allow.
Know what your policy says they will allow. State Farm allows towing to the “.... nearest facility capable of providing needed service.” This could mean towing a couple hundred miles (think the middle of Nevada and needing a tow). Some policy’s only allow 20-25 miles before you start paying.

Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote