Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Road trip/Road conditions to Wyoming

Hey Everybody!!! I am getting ready to make a trip from home here in Mississippi to Rock Springs Wyoming for the National High School Rodeo Finals.
What do you guys consider to be the best route that has the best road conditions? Right Now I am looking at a route that takes me through Dallas to Amarillo etc. Just wondering about road conditions...

thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just drove thru Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas a few weeks ago. Going thru/around Dallas was a nightmare on the interstate; construction everywhere and traffic backed up for miles and miles. Took us over 2 hours to get thru. Texas has some of the worst interstate I have ever driven. Between the bad expansion joints, poorly repaired potholes and UNrepaired potholes - it was enough to shake the coins out of your pockets. MS and LA were not any better. We took US287 from Dallas to Copper Breaks SP; not bad once we got out of the Dallas area.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
Going thru/around Dallas was a nightmare on the interstate; construction everywhere and traffic backed up for miles and miles. Took us over 2 hours to get thru. Texas has some of the worst interstate I have ever driven. Between the bad expansion joints, poorly repaired potholes and UNrepaired potholes - it was enough to shake the coins out of your pockets.
Thank for the response, I was concerned about the expansion joints but thought it might be better,,,, was hoping to hit the Dallas area by mid morning. The other route I am looking at takes me up through Little Rock AR picking up I40 into OK then a toll road north into Tulsa and then across... maybe a couple of toll roads(???),,, time wise there is no appreciable difference.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dallas By-pass

Found this way around Dallas last year:
At Tyler,TX turn north and head to Mineola, then go north on Hwy 69 to Sherman, TX. At Sherman turn west on Hwy 82 and go to Wichita Falls where you will hit Hwy 287 to Amarillo. It has some 2 lane but much better than fighting Dallas traffic. Enjoy your trip!
alvins4062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvins4062 View Post
Found this way around Dallas last year:
At Tyler,TX turn north and head to Mineola, then go north on Hwy 69 to Sherman, TX. At Sherman turn west on Hwy 82 and go to Wichita Falls where you will hit Hwy 287 to Amarillo. It has some 2 lane but much better than fighting Dallas traffic. Enjoy your trip!
Thank for the response,,,, I was looking at that route just now and so far I'm liking it,,, however I was thinking of turning north at Shreveport La and picking up 82 at Texarkana....
Old 07-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dallas By-pass

I would stay on the interstate as long as possible. Shreveport to Texarkana is pretty slow. What part of MS are you leaving from? I live in Hattiesburg.
alvins4062 is offline   Reply With Quote