Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Roadside Assistance

I have had AAA for years, and signed up with Good Sam Roadside Assistance when we bought the motorhomeso now have both.

I would assume that others have done the same thing. Do you use the G/S program only for your motorhome and the AAA for your auto, or do you use G/S for both instances and have cancelled AAA?

Thank you,
Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cancel the AAA, IMO.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I agree cancell AAA, I always have great services with GS especially when I had my old Winnebago, also they cover your Car and other family vehicles.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, I only have the GS for both RV and autos. Don't see much point in paying for two services, no matter how cheap the cost! JMHO!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies.

Do you feel that the G/S assistance is as nationally available as AAA or does it tend to be regional?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 04-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rogo88,
All of the services call the same providers.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Do you feel that the G/S assistance is as nationally available as AAA or does it tend to be regional?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron, I have been a member of G/S for the last 9 years, I am a Canadian resident and I have used there services in Canada as well as in the US, same good service, a few times for flat tires, once in Pennsylvania I needed to be towed for fuel pump related problem, and at home very cold wheater I needed a jump strart for the family car.
Mike
Old 04-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,
Ron
Quite the contrary; AAA has regional districts, with each having their own rules and policies, some of which do not cover RV's.Good Sam and Coach-Net cover North America, with Mexico coverage on a re-reimbursement for covered expenses-type policy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Thumbs down G/S road assistance - no service.

I'm shopping for a new road service plan. We have called Good Sam's, our current provider, 3 times for assistance in the last 2 years. The first time was for a blown tire which was handled without trouble. The second call was for a dead battery. The response was, "We have no service in your area". Now I'm not in a remote area. We were in a college town in mid-Michigan with over 25,000 people. But we were SOL so I called AAA. The third call was for a flat tire in Birmingham, AL. I asked for help deciding if we needed the tire patched or replaced. Nope. They only will change a tire or replace with a new one, nothing else and will not send anybody to see what needs to be done. Again SOL. I was able to find a truck dealer using my cell phone. They were glad to help and sent a tech out, who BTW has worked on many motorhomes, with a tire. It was decided that a patch would work just fine. That saved me about 4 hundred dollars and we were on the road within about 2 hours. Two thousand miles later all if working fine. We had a fourth issue with a flat tire on our toad. We didn't even bother calling G/S. Why waste the time? We called AAA and they came right out even though I am not a AAA member.

So I'm looking to hear about other road service plans and how well they have worked for you.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #10

Oliver did I read your post correctly? Are you saying AAA provided service to a non-member at no charge?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have roadside assistance out the wazoo!

New Fleetwood Class C I have Fleetwood RA, C is on a new Ford E450 I have Ford RA, bought unit from Camping World, I have Good Sam RA.

I have a spare tire and wheel so I hope I never have to use the RA's or spare. (Made 4 trips to FL in fiver with a spare and although the tires were 'Chinese Bombs' never had an issue but I religiously checed my tire pressures before travel and carried a compressor)
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
I have had AAA for years, and signed up with Good Sam Roadside Assistance when we bought the motorhomeso now have both.

I would assume that others have done the same thing. Do you use the G/S program only for your motorhome and the AAA for your auto, or do you use G/S for both instances and have cancelled AAA?

Thank you,
Ron
I have both, as you do, but I am keeping my AAA only because my truck (and auto) are insured by AAA and I have to be a member in order to get the insurance discount. Otherwise, I would cancel the AAA. BTW, I have shopped around for vehicle insurance and, in my area, AAA is the least expensive, including the AAA roadside.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
We have Ford ERS which comes with our warranty and GS.....used the Ford service once but not the GS....yet. What I like about GS is it covers all my vehicles (4). About 4 years ago when we did have AAA, it had a limit on service calls for a year and distance towed.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #14

AAA responded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Oliver did I read your post correctly? Are you saying AAA provided service to a non-member at no charge?
The AAA service was not free. However, they did respond where Good Sam's did not.

Has anybody used Coach Net? If so, how well did they respond?