Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadaddler View Post
I recently broke down in NC on 95 and I called Progressive and they would
only tow me to a repair shop thatI named but I had a hard time finding some one that would replace the fan belt and no one could be found that would work on chassis and did find a Ford dealerbut had a 2 week wait.
Finally found a road service that would do it and to replace the belt cost $550.00.
Nick
You may want to look into one of the roadside assistance plans discussed here. they may have been able to get you back on the road with the only cost being parts. I have with me a new fan belt and pulley if needed to avoid having to wait for someone to track down the parts. I also carry hub seals in the event a hub or rotor needs to be pulled. On a workhorse those can be a challenge to track down.
Also the rigs with 22.5 tires are a challenge to change the tire. The roadside covers this as well. Be prepared to pay for a replacement tire unless you have that as part of your policy.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
You may want to look into one of the roadside assistance plans discussed here. they may have been able to get you back on the road with the only cost being parts. I have with me a new fan belt and pulley if needed to avoid having to wait for someone to track down the parts. I also carry hub seals in the event a hub or rotor needs to be pulled. On a workhorse those can be a challenge to track down.
Also the rigs with 22.5 tires are a challenge to change the tire. The roadside covers this as well. Be prepared to pay for a replacement tire unless you have that as part of your policy.
I carry a spare "hub" with bearing and seal already installed. Nice to be prepared.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I carry a spare "hub" with bearing and seal already installed. Nice to be prepared.
On mine it doesn't go together that way. The axle has to be pulled out of the hub to even change the rotor. There is a gasket where the axle attaches to the end of the hub and its made out of mylar. It still leaks so you need some liquid gasket but the gasket still needs to be there and its an oddballl and who wants to cut one out with 6 or eight bolt holes. Its the strangest thing I've ever seen.

The inner seal for the axle is rubber and holds up well. Mine got cooked when my brakes overheated but normally it doesn't need replacing. The bearings are lubed by the 3 gallons diff fluid that feeds up the axle shaft to the hubs.

After finding out how much the caliper weighs I cant even begin to imagine how expensive and heavy the hub is.

Now if you have a trailer its not a bad idea to carry a hub, or at least the bearings, grease and tools to do a roadside repair. I would practice at home. I did the bearings on my boat trailer. The first one was a challenge, the other 3 a piece of cake after 3 trips to Harbor Freight to gather all the stuff. BTW those ugly orange life jackets? they make an awesome knee pad for the roadside project.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
On mine it doesn't go together that way. The axle has to be pulled out of the hub to even change the rotor. There is a gasket where the axle attaches to the end of the hub and its made out of mylar. It still leaks so you need some liquid gasket but the gasket still needs to be there and its an oddballl and who wants to cut one out with 6 or eight bolt holes. Its the strangest thing I've ever seen.

The inner seal for the axle is rubber and holds up well. Mine got cooked when my brakes overheated but normally it doesn't need replacing. The bearings are lubed by the 3 gallons diff fluid that feeds up the axle shaft to the hubs.

After finding out how much the caliper weighs I cant even begin to imagine how expensive and heavy the hub is.

Now if you have a trailer its not a bad idea to carry a hub, or at least the bearings, grease and tools to do a roadside repair. I would practice at home. I did the bearings on my boat trailer. The first one was a challenge, the other 3 a piece of cake after 3 trips to Harbor Freight to gather all the stuff. BTW those ugly orange life jackets? they make an awesome knee pad for the roadside project.
I cooked a bearing on our 40' park model trailer last year. I was moving it from Ca. to our property in northern Wa. After that I bought a new hub assembly for our 5th wheel. Hopefully I'll never need it!

As for the boat, me and my brother switched both axles from drum to disc brakes (salt water and drums don't mix). That was 2 years ago, A few month's ago someone liked it so much they TOOK my boat and trailer! I hate thieves.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I cooked a bearing on our 40' park model trailer last year. I was moving it from Ca. to our property in northern Wa. After that I bought a new hub assembly for our 5th wheel. Hopefully I'll never need it!

As for the boat, me and my brother switched both axles from drum to disc brakes (salt water and drums don't mix). That was 2 years ago, A few month's ago someone liked it so much they TOOK my boat and trailer! I hate thieves.
I wish someone would steal mine. I have agreed value replacement which is now way over the value of the boat after 18 years. Still in the water though. This fall Im pulling it out permanently to take with us.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My roadside assistance is thru FMCA and costs me $69/year. It carried my toad on a flatbed over 300 miles from Nevada to Salt Lake in May. Another FMCA perk helped save a dear friend's life when they flew him and his wife to a heart hospital in Arkansas and then paid to have his Class A and 2 dogs returned home. They now welcome towable RVers to join as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #21

My Bad

I should have changed the belt before my last trip north and this is our 3rd
year owning our 99 MH and have 60,000 miles and thought the serpentine belt
looked good before this last trip.
My old 95 Chevy had about 50;000 when Ichangedall the belts and could do my
own changing of the belts about 5 years back but now having many back surgeries I needed someone to do the beltchange if I would have had a spare but did not.
My bad again.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance