Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Roadside Assistance - Point me in the right direction

Searched plenty, but no help. I am retired military, and have my homeowner, auto, and umbrella liability insurance with USAA. My first foray into the MH world led me to Progressive for USAA members. I'm looking for input from others in the same situation on whether to use Progressive's roadside assistance coverage alone, in conjunction with another insurer like AAA or Coach Net, or to drop Progressive's coverage and rely only on the third party. I am traveling in a Class A covered by Progressive, wanting a toad insured by USAA. What say you, experienced travelers? What works for you?

Mike

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadside Assistance - Point me in the right direction

I think you'll find most members here prefer Coach Net and Good Sam. I always had Coach Net ( Lazy Days enrolled me for free with MH purchase ) and was serviced well by them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi slowmachine,
All the providers call the same tow companies. For me, read the T/Cs of the policy. If it meets your needs, buy the cheapest one. Usually there is a discount for signing up the first time. Roadside assistance is a commodity purchase. Like buying milk or bread.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, we've been using GS since 2001, but thinking about going with CoachNet next time.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

I've used progressives roadside assistance and was very pleased they were courteous professional and concerned the agent even did a follow up to make sure we were able to get it repaired. I'm happy with their service.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had both coach-net and good sam. Good service from both. Changed to coach-net for tech sport service (have not had occasion to use, so cannot comment on quality) and price. Either would serve you well. Compare features and price, then decide which.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also had Good Sam but switched to CoachNet

Had years of good service from GS until one blown tire and we had a disagreement. I switched to Coachnet but later found that Coachnet would have handled it the same way, oh well.

I thing they are essentially the same except Coachnet has the tech support if you may want to fix it yourself while on the road. Personally I would let the pros do it. I done got to old.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #8

We've been fulltiming almost 5yrs. now, and have had no problems with Progressive. The towing rider is only $24 additional. Once we needed a tow from Destruction Bay, Yukon to Whitehorse, Yukon, 180mi., and they didn't even flinch. They've been there for me, and so until they're not, I'll stay with Proressive.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We use Coachnet and have been very happy. Have called them twice in 3 yrs and they have been very helpful each time we needed them.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the input. For simplicity's sake, I'm going use Progressive's service until it proves inadequate.

Mike
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #11

I am in same boat, retired military, USAA for banking and insurance needs. USAA uses Progressive to insure MH's for its members at a good competitive rate. I also get a 10% discount at the RV parks for being retired military, so there is no need to have Good Sam for park discounts. So far in 3 years I have not had to use my insurance, knock on wood.
MO Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have only used Progressive in the last five years we have been Rolling the South with a DP and had to use their towing service twice, once due to a frozen alternator and other time due to fire damage when unit was parked for the summer, adjacent Park Model had left their refrigeration system on. Price is reasonable less than $20.00 per year and no hassles to tow to nearest repair facility that is recognized to perform repairs that are required.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Once we needed a tow from Destruction Bay, Yukon to Whitehorse, Yukon, 180mi., and they didn't even flinch.
Off topic I know, but needing a tow from a place called Destruction Bay struck me as ironic. It's like the post from a camper about a flood at a campground named Rushing Creek RV Resort.

From Mythbusters...

"I broke down at a place called Destruction Bay"
"Well, there's your problem"
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #14

Something that some may not realize is that the large RV roadside assistance plans have leverage at repair facilities compared to an individual calling with a problem. Some years back, in Florida, I had a problem over July 4th weekend, called the local chassis dealer myself, and was told they couldn't take my unit for 3 - 4 weeks. I then called Good Sam, and they responded that the same dealer could work on my problem within a day or two.

As to which plan; I suspect that both Good Sam and Coach.net are bigger than Progressive for RV assistance plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Searched plenty, but no help. I am retired military, and have my homeowner, auto, and umbrella liability insurance with USAA. My first foray into the MH world led me to Progressive for USAA members. I'm looking for input from others in the same situation on whether to use Progressive's roadside assistance coverage alone, in conjunction with another insurer like AAA or Coach Net, or to drop Progressive's coverage and rely only on the third party. I am traveling in a Class A covered by Progressive, wanting a toad insured by USAA. What say you, experienced travelers? What works for you?

Mike

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote