Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Roadside assistance/Towing insurance....???

I will make this as short as possible. I have AAA Roadside Assist. Plus RV. I broke down on the interstate last Saturday, broke a serpentine belt. Called AAA, long story short, they couldn't find a service provider in their network to tow my coach. I googled a towing company on my iPhone and had a tow truck at my coach within 15 minutes. The tow company "I" called told me that they don't work with AAA because they have a hard time getting paid by them. Today I go to AAA office in my city, present my "paid" towing receipt for reimbursement and am told "I am not sure that AAA will pay the total amount"........Ok, I feel AAA dropped the ball in the first place, no tow available, I sat on the interstate for 2 1//2 hours before I called for my own tow....now they say I have to wait for my $440, and that they may not pay the total..... Is this common practice with AAA???? Is there a better company to carry coverage with????.... Do I have a right to be upset???

Joe and Joan...Retired Educators
Maggie..Calico, Clayton..Silver Tabby
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G, 2013 GMC Terrain
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
AAA is fine for cars but they really don't seem to have a clue about motorhomes. Cut your losses and sign up with Coach Net.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone else have any likes or dislikes??? I have done a little research and it appears the Good Sam, Coach-net, and AAA are the three that most have. Any experiences with any of these?? Seems I will be changing if any one is better than AAA.
Joe and Joan...Retired Educators
Maggie..Calico, Clayton..Silver Tabby
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G, 2013 GMC Terrain
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
We use Good Sam and have had pretty good service from them. Had Coach Net for a while, but never used them.

I think you'll find that all use the same service providers (for the most part), so typically the response you get is pretty much determined by the person you talk to on the phone. Get someone who knows what they are doing and you'll more than likely get good service. Get someone who has a hard time understanding what you are talking about and the service will follow suit.

However, both Good Sam and Coach Net are designed around rv requirements....AAA is not. Based on that, I would go with either GS or CN.

Ron, Sandie, and Maggie May
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
X2, love AAA for cars, but Coach Net for the RV. AAA is geared for auto's, Coach Net knows what it takes to tow a large vehicle.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had Good Sam ERS for several years, with several usages on both the RV and autos. All positive experiences. I changed to Coach Net after seeing many good recommendations here, and they also offer tech support services. I have had occasion to use their tire service, a positive experience. Have not yet had a need for tech support service so cannot comment from experiences there. I think either would provide you with good service. Drop the AAA.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
I don't have either gs or cn so I can't help you decide between the two. I had a great experience with progressive insurance tow service. We broke down on the interstate I called them told them my story and I was not prepared for the level of professionalism we received. They used my cell phones gps to locate us they they gave me an expected time of arrival and call back every fifteen minutes to keep us updated and even called as the truck was backing up to let us know that it was the right tow company and to make sure we were ok. Later they called to see if we had been able to get back on the road alright. I could not be happier with their service.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #8

Coach Net
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
I have GS roadside assist and travel assist. Never used them for my rv but did for my car three times with no problems. The best was when I had a motorcycle accident and ended up in the hospital emergency for 6 hours. The bike was towed by the police and impounded due to my not being able to arrange for a tow or pickup from relatives. GS reimbursed me $350 for the tow. I was transported by ambulance and GS is going to reimburse me for $200 of the ambulance fee. No complaints here.
1989 mobile traveler 30' MH, 2002 honda valkyrie motorcycle toad,Grants Pass,Or
biker art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Great to hear your story elf111...I have Progressive Insurance as well. I also have GS. I hope I don't need either but I am more confident now after your experience.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Years ago I had AAA RV coverage. I broke down and had to be towed 136 miles to the nearest qualified repair facility. AAA only covered the first 100 miles. I had to pay the remaining 36 miles at $4.50 per mile.

I cancelled and went with Coach Net as they will cover the full bill for a tow to the nearest qualified facility. Good Sam may provide similar coverage, but some one else will hopefully provide the answer.
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Roadside Assistance

Good Sam, Good By - had for many years, (middle 90's). No more..
Check the repair shop they want to send you to. Can they do the work?
Extended warranty - just as bad
All gone, when you are broke down, they are a broken record. Just want to get you off of the phone, without really helping. Make sure you do your due diligence before being towed or repaired...
Anyone interested - contact me about 8 months of hell! with GS and Cummins..
Redonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others (I use Coach-net), but it's pretty common to have a defined limit on reimbursement, basically whatever they would have paid a service that was "in-network" and received a contracted rate. Odds are you were charged a fairly high rate for the road service, so you may not get 100% back, And that would be true of any contracted road service.

Coach-net and GS (which is provided by the Allstate Motor Club) probably have larger networks for RV services, but you may still run into a situation where there is nobody close by, or the service they use is busy and can't come right away. If you choose to get your own instead, you could face the same issue.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

insurance, towing