Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 05:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
Yeah i would plug the 15amp from the pedastal into the rv side outlet, and it feeds my outlet inside to the computer. Thats why i need to make a male male cord.
Not trying to offend you, but you need to employ the services of an Electrician....or at the very minimum, get the advice of one and abandon the male to male plug idea. It's dangerous at best, and could be fatal. There is a good reason that you will NEVER find a male to male plug being sold ANYWHERE. It's obvious that electrical stuff is not your forte'.....and that's OK, but there comes a time when continuing to do stuff like what you are doing is just wrong, and what you are doing is ............Just wrong!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #44

It's a bit ironic that you would use a safety device, like a GFCI receptcal, and backfeed it with a SUICIDE cord. I wonder if it will even work that way ?

You may be safe using a ( good ) GFCI pedestal outlet, if the cord gets pulled out and dropped on the ground or touched by someone, but not if your going to use an adaptor to a 30 amp pedestal outlet. No one would expect the " plug " to be energized, if it got knocked out.

Spend a few bucks and use a male receptcal on the outside of the RV, like others have shown, in this post. Then it's safe and legal.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:43 AM   #45

OK ill switch it out for a male receptacle. And no im not offended but i just want it to work, i dont have the patience to keep messing with things over and over again. I am putting stress on my bay door by having the huge cord in there and i have to tape it up to keep the bugs out.

If the stupid industry would actually build these things like people actually live instead of just fluff visuals i would not have to be doing any of this stuff.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #46

One more small point. I'm not sure of the reason for a GFCI installed the way you appear to have it installed. At any rate, a GFCI is not an over current protection device. It is a ground fault protection device. If you intended it to protect the circuit from an over load condition a GFCI is the wrong solution.

If you mis-plumb something you might just get things wet. If you mis-wire something you stand a good chance of killing someone. Hope it's not a curious kid.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #47

If someone is stupid enough to pull a cord out on my trailer that's plugged into the pedestal, without turning pedestal breaker off, they deserve what they get.....just say'n
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If someone is stupid enough to pull a cord out on my trailer that's plugged into the pedestal, without turning pedestal breaker off, they deserve what they get.....just say'n
People pull plugs out of the wall at home all the time and expect this to be safe, I would not call them stupid for not turning off a breaker to pull a plug. What is stupid is creating a 'hot plug'. Electrical code is written to protect people from injury due to simple mistakes, no one expects people to knowingly cheat the code and create a hazard. Could be someone's kid that trips over a cord, knocks it loose and grabs it to plug it back in. Pretty severe punishment for a Kid's mistake. And I suspect the owner of the hazard could be liable if there is injury or death due to the hazard, not to mention having to live with it.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #49

Quote:
That's a saddening comment.... Just saying
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Not a good comeback.

The cord could get knocked out accidentally. And even if it was on purpose, no one deserves to die from this. Heck, the owner himself might forget and pull the wrong end first. The exposed male blade on the plug is dangerous. This is why a female is at the end of the cord opposite the male that gets plugged into power.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #51

Aside from the dangers of using a widow maker cord I doubt that GFI will work. Most newer GFI receptacles will not reset unless there is power on the line side. The receptacle part is on the load side.
rocketslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #52

I knew I could stir the pot!......If you don't put stuff like what I said out there, and get the negative feedback, some would think any lash up would be ok......and shame on you that plug your RV into a live circuit and disconnect from one.....but, it's your cord....especially with the circuit breaker right there...
Old 08-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #53

Quote:
I knew I could stir the pot!......If you don't put stuff like what I said out there, and get the negative feedback, some would think any lash up would be ok......and shame on you that plug your RV into a live circuit and disconnect from one.....but, it's your cord....especially with the circuit breaker right there...
Guess I'm shamed, I plug into a 100 ft 12 AWG, 15 amp cord at home without running into the house and tripping the breaker...I'll live with the shame because my EMS checks the power and waits about 90 seconds before it connects through to the coach. If there is a power problem anywhere I plug in the EMS will not connect and displays the error code.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #54

This comment was for people without an EMS.....I have an EMS myself.....and that's got nothing to do with adding a circuit bypassing the rv's factory system.....did you read entire thread?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #55

Quote:
This comment was for people without an EMS.....I have an EMS myself.....and that's got nothing to do with adding a circuit bypassing the rv's factory system.....did you read entire thread?
Yes I indeed read the entire thread and it was going along quite well until you made your comment 'deserve hat they get'. You then introduced being shamed for not turning off breakers before plugging in. I in no way mean to offend you but I reserve the right to disagree with your statements.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #56

Circuit breaker(s) are just that, not off and on switches.