Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Roof and Towing Questions from a Newbie

We just made a offer on our first RV! A 1989 Skyline Layton. I do have a question about the roof, if anyone can help me. It is a metal roof and it is very warped and bumpy. There are no signs of any current active leaks, but I was wondering if the roof warping is normal after years of sitting in the sun and the elements. Also, can you have a rubber roof put on a metal roof that is not comepletley flat? Any help will be appreciated! And once we get moving on this, I'm' sure I'll have a lot more questions! Thanks in advance for the help!

Also, as charming as this camper is, it is 23 years old and if we find we enjoy it we will probably want to buy a newer camper. The current camper (and a big part of its appeal) is already established on a lot with a 10x24 ft screened in porch and beautiful view of the lake. Being a complete novi cedhere,this may be a stupid quesiton, but I have to ask. Is there a way to have the current camper pulled away from the deck/porch 6-12 inches before it is hooked up and towed away by the hitch? It would be awful to have to damage or alter the exisiting porch. Are companies that do this? If so, how do I find one in my area?

THANKS!!
vocalmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #2

Roof:
It is normal for the metal roof to get warped over the years. They are difficult to even get flat in the first place (at the factory).

As for rubber coating it, no can do. You would have to remove the metal, sheet the roof with plywood, then glue the rubber roof down. This will probably run you in the $5000 range at a dealer.

Sorry, cant help you with the porch issue. Pics may help.
RV Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just to repeat...re-doing a rubber roof is $$$$. TPO / Rubber roofs can only be put down on a flat surface, otherwise you would get serious air pockets.

For your 2nd question, I would think there is another IRV2 member here that has done that. What length is the 1989 Skyline Layton?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Sounds like it has been there awhile! Getting it away from the porch w/o damage to either will depend on how the porch was built, and if it is attached in any way to the trailer.

And of course you have tire, wheel bearing, and wiring issues to work before it is road-worthy.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

Thanks! My husband is back down there inspecting the roof right now, he says it seems to be in good condition but one of the interior walls needs a little work. Fingers Crossed they accept our offer!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

Superslif, it's a 34' with no slide outs.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

AFChap, it is not attched to the porch AT ALL! So that has to be a plus. And to be honest, but the time we were ready to make a switch, we would probbaly jkust have it hauled off. Someone told us proplr buy the old ones, gut them, and use them ar hinting cabins. So I'm not sure wiring, etc wuld matter at that point. Do you know who we would call about moving it though?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
CD

I moved a 50' mobile home away fron an addition. This is how I did it. I used (4) 2X6X12' boards, some cement blocks and several pieces of steel pipe. I layed (2) 2X6s on the ground behind the wheels and another two behind the jack. Then I put 4/5 pieces of pipe between the 2X6s. You may need to block the ends of the boards so they don't move while blocking up the TT. Using cement (or big wood) blocks, jack up each end and put blocks on the 2X6s so the wheels clear the ground. Using the TV, tractor or trees for anchor you can pull TT sideways using a comealong or small chain hoist. I would only move each end a few inches at a time. You should be able to move it up 3' or so without resetting 2X6s.
Good Luck

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalmama View Post
Thanks! My husband is back down there inspecting the roof right now, he says it seems to be in good condition but one of the interior walls needs a little work. Fingers Crossed they accept our offer!
Hope it works out for you! Be sure to let us know if they accept!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

OFFER ACCEPTED!!!! And they are throwing in the perfectly good furniture that is already on the porch!! SO EXCITED!! Thanks for all of the advice, tips and support!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #11

As for the rubber roof. Go to EDPM roofing. Kind of expensive but can be put over any material with lots of prep work. If I had good sheets of aluminum, I would use endurabond tape on the seams and call it good.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, roof, towing