Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Roof cap leak

Notice a leak on the front roof cap of my 83 Pace Arrow and also discovered that the PO used what looks like silicone sealer or some other type of silicone sealant, and I hear that this must be removed before a repair is made, and I have also read that it is all but impossible to get it cleaned up, I have seen some silicone remover product on-line and was wondering if this would do the job, none the less when the weather drys [warms] up I need to make that repair so all feed back for removing the silicone is welcome. I tried to cover the area with my eternbond, but I guess it was too cold because it wouldn't stick to anything. I thought it might have been because of the silicone but just to test it I tried to get it to stick to another area and that also failed.

Yesterday I also bought 2 can of that stuff I saw on TV Flex-Seal has anyone used that product and if so do yo have a review?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Silicone remover works fine, use it. I wonder with the eternabond if you prepared or cleaned the area properly? It should stick. Waiting for warmer weather or getting to a warmer spot is going to make for better repairs.

My inclination would be to stick with eternabond, first removing alll the caulking from the seal, reseal with a Dicor roof caulking product, then apply eternabond over that after preparing the surface as directed.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm no expert here, but my fiberglass cap had silicone around the marker lights and I found I could pull off the bulk then scrape the film off with a good 2" putty knife. I did this at about 50 degrees F.
E-bond sticks OK above 50 degrees, but go back when it is hot out (90 degrees) and press it down again. Another trick is to use a heat gun - I did this on a small rip at 35 degrees F and it stuck (kept the cut piece of tape in my shirt - heated the area and quickly peeled the plastic and stick it on). Don't over heat - just make the area warm.
You are pulling the plactic film off the tape I assume. Youtube has videos on how to use the tape.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have use eternabond before and have been happy in the way it went on during summer, as for as this time it was wet and I merely was trying to get it to stop, want dry or clean enough, and regardless it wouldn't stick due to the cold weather, so that is what I will do as planed remove the silicone with what ever it take, then use my clear Dicor, and then cover that with etherabond once the weather warms up, until then I will keep the cap sweep of standing water and continue using towels to soak of the drips.

Speaking of that this leak sits in a low area, can I level it off so this water can't collects and stand, if so what product would I use?

Tags
leak, roof