Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
What's your suggestion?
That's exactly what the op has asked for. Let's try to assist here and not mock those that are trying.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Was it a fiberglass or rubber roof. And what happen to the AC units?

Their (93 Vectra's) only retailing for about 15k, with all the damage to the roof and awning, if it was a fiberglass roof...their going to total it.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that finding an exact replacement would be difficult.
Winnibago says they can make new parts for anything that they have built. So I would assume that it could be found at Winnibago Industries in Forest City!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A rubber roof should be replaced every 20 years, probably what you had. Here is a video to get you started.
Replacing Your RV Roof - YouTube
Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the number for Winnibago 1 800 537 1885
Old 12-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #20

1st step would be to tarp the roof to avoid any further damages from water intrusion and contact your insurance company. I wouldn't hold out too much hope it will not be totaled, several of our fellow work campers had their older rigs totaled by a hail storm while we were all working in South Dakota last summer, mostly roof and vent cover damages. Those repair bills add up faster then you think. Looking at the photos, it looks like your back cap is cracked too so it will also need repaired or replaced driving the estimate up even higher.
Most insurance companies have a percentage they use as a guideline to repair vs. total, some use 80% of value, others 70% or even 50%, all depends on the state guidelines they have to operate under.

Good luck,

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Was it a fiberglass or rubber roof. And what happen to the AC units?

Their (93 Vectra's) only retailing for about 15k, with all the damage to the roof and awning, if it was a fiberglass roof...their going to total it.
the lack of any wood/luan underlayment makes me lean toward it being a fiberglass roof (our 2002 Winnebago has one) and our's also has the a/c in the basement.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your recent troubles with the roof.

Hope you are able to get it fixed and get back t using your RV.

Good luck with the repairs and insurance.

Please give us an update every now and then.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #23

Sgtsilverman, that all looks repairable. Of course I'm looking at a picture. It's fiberglass, also they make end caps and front caps for these RV's. As for the top have you every heard of Rhino roofs? It's the same thing they spray on bedliner on trucks. It's guaranteed 30 years, you never have to do any maintenance on it. You can watch a video on it on YOUTUBE. I believe you just type in RHINOROOFS or I yhink their web site is www.RHNOROOFS.COM . I'll look it up when I get off here. And I'll post it. If it's different. It looks like you have the roof ready almost to spray. But they spray everything a/c covers , vents, everything.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #24

Sgtsilverman, the web site is www.rhinolinings.com and they have a video of it there. Good luck and I'm so sorry this happened to you or anybody else.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #25

I'll throw my 2c in here guys. You honestly could come out on the winning side of this. Let the insurance company total it, generally here in bc our provincial insurance company is always more than fair with their settlements then I suggest buy it back! The difference between the the settlement and the salvage price will be quite a bit my guess will be more than enough to hire a private party to replace that roof with a new rubber roof or otherwise. You will probably save money because there is no removal
Old 12-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #26

Mitchyb, I would have to agree with on this issue. I was having this very discussion with a lady on Facebook where someone had a tree fall through there travel trailer. Anyway, I agree. My friend bought a used for van for around$7000.00. We had a hail storm that beat the roof up. They paid him almost $ 9000. totaled it. He bought it back with a salvage title for $1700.00 There is nothing wrong with the van except with some hail damage to the roof. It's like someone gave him a van and gave a few hundred dollars for his troubles.
And I think this is where you might come out ahead with your RV. Check around and see what a roof for your RV would cost and that tear in the end cap. Make a decision on that. Good luck and let us know how it went.
Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
MSgt USAF Ret
Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
What happen to the Air vents and the Air Conditioner or did you not have any on the roof.
From the looks of things all you would need is for some repair shop to roll out a strip of roof material and glue it down.
Check with Camping World they may be able to repair it for you.
Just a thought
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #28

Check with your insurance before agreeing to a salvage / buy back strategy. They may not agree to continue your coverage.

Example: My wife's car was hit, and the other guy's insurance wanted to total the vehicle since the repair was just barely over 75% of the value. This is a 2000 VW Jetta, the repair was $3100 which was really a fender bender, and we wanted to keep the car. They suggested paying us full value, plus tax, we could buy the car back for a salvage value of $480, after which there would be more than enough money to pay for repair. This sounded good, but I would need to get the car title changed to a "Salvage title" to get the money. This still sounded good until I checked with our insurance, Allstate, who said they would not insure a car with a salvage title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
I'll throw my 2c in here guys. You honestly could come out on the winning side of this. Let the insurance company total it, generally here in bc our provincial insurance company is always more than fair with their settlements then I suggest buy it back! The difference between the the settlement and the salvage price will be quite a bit my guess will be more than enough to hire a private party to replace that roof with a new rubber roof or otherwise. You will probably save money because there is no removal

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, insurance, repair, roof