Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #1

Roof Walking

I have always been under the impression that walking on a rv roof can cause sever damage or leaks. A rubber roof can become punchered and go un-noticed, or the possibility of being torn. While roofs are not structurely made to be walkind on, I see many people walking on their rv roofs, scrubbing and washing, dragging buckets and hoses accross them. Is this really good for your roof????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I've always gone on the roof to clean, inspect and to replace sealant, I try not to drag anything. I wear cheap flat sole tennis shoes (boat shoe) that I only use on the roof to avoid getting gravel between me and the roof.
Has worked for 20+years and 2 MH's.
(Now to find some wood to knock on???)

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
I have always been under the impression that walking on a rv roof can cause sever damage or leaks. A rubber roof can become punchered and go un-noticed, or the possibility of being torn. While roofs are not structurely made to be walkind on, I see many people walking on their rv roofs, scrubbing and washing, dragging buckets and hoses accross them. Is this really good for your roof????
LOL! Not only have some folks seen me walking on, scrubbing, washing, dragging hoses and buckets around on my 5'er roof, I've been caught spending a free day waxing the roof along with the rest of the exterior..... My 'ol Excel has a rock solid fiberglass/gel coat roof. One of many reasons I stick with Peterson Industries.

Heck I've even been caught throwing a rug on the roof with a couple of lawn chairs etc. watching firework shows and such.

As far as your question goes, I also wonder about some of the rubber roofed units out there. Some of the things I've seen folks do to an on those rubber roofs can't be good for them...
Auto hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't you think it is better to inspect and repair by being there than doing nothing and wondering what is going on? We had an A/C issue a couple of years ago and the repair guy asked that I help him with something. We were both on the roof, he on one side of the A/C and I on the other. Not a problem, although I see how you are concerned.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Have had RV's from TT, to 5th Wheel, to Truck Camper, now MH and NEVER had a roof that was not designed to be walked on.

Big difference in walking on to do cleaning, maintenance, storage vice being abusive, or just getting high up to see, ie...NASCAR Events. Folks who habitually walk the roof either have a special surface or are dancing with the Leak Monster and sure internal damage will result, IMHO.

Had friends with a BlueBird DP that had a special "Cage" on top, it could be folded down for travel and slid up and pinned in place so it had railings around stainless steel decking to walk on the "patio area" when somewhere with great views. Even had a few dinners up in the stars but DW is deathly afraid of heights and to keep her from discomfort discontinued that.

Never fear rook walking BUT be wise and considerate or you may find the consequences a bit wet and moldy.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I have walked on the roof of 3 of my RV's (TT, Class C, and Class A) these brands had roofing systems that were able to take the pressure.

Like, the mfgt of my TT even published that the roof was a "Fully Decked Truss Style Walk-On"

So, I think the decision to walk-on the roof has more to do with the builder than anything.

Now - for my old hard-sided pop-top, I would never place any pressure on that roof system, more for fear that the roof would get out of square, than damaging the roof material.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

Use common sense when getting on roof and you won't have any problems. I get up on mine all the time to clean it but never, never let anybody up there for entertainment.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many of the things you cite are possible **IF**, (That dang word If)

For example, A fairly small woman, walking on a rubber roof, wearing spike heals at the kind of party held on a roof so get a better view.. Is going to do MAJOR damage (and not just to the roof I fear).. but those spikes can easily put a ton per square inch on the roof and poke holes like they were roof punches.

Deck shoes, on the other hand. not so bad.

A person running and stopping suddenly may tear the roof.

but a person walking normally (And with care) not so much.

You should be up on the roof at least twice a year inspecting and moping,, Yes,Moping, Just like the kitchen floor.

Bucket, Mop, Spic & Span, water (hose) mop and rinse (use hose to rinse) and while up there inspect.

Sweep off loose stuff first.

Tags
roof