Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Rooftop Wind Turbine to generate Electricity

I ran across this gadget on Gizmodo that is still in development. It is being designed for electric vehicles but I can see a use on TT's to keep the batteries juiced in transit. It has 4 small wind turbines that strap to the roof of the car. There is a 25 watt version that comes out later this year and and a 1,000 watt model to follow. Might be an idea there.

Strap This Wind Turbine To Your Electric Car To Stay Juiced in Park

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting, but

I enjoyed all the banter at that web site between the geeks on whether it would work efficiently or not.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtall View Post
I enjoyed all the banter at that web site between the geeks on whether it would work efficiently or not.
It was intended for electric cars and, when it was first shown, they made it sound like a perpetual motion machine where you would never need to buy gas or recharge. They've toned that down. But, if it was put on a TT where there is no drain on the battery while being towed, it could do a decent job of recharging. If you were to take a long trip and Wal-Marting it you could set up each night with a full charge.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree

If you wanted to keep your coach batteries charged up this could be a alternate charge source others than solar. Especially if the sun wasn't shinning. Wonder what the cost would be for one or two?

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

Basically a 25 watt rated wind machine will deliver 2 amps at maximum wind speed. 2 amps is essentially a trickle charge that will keep a battery topped off but would take many hours to fully charge a battery.
If one wanted to keep a battery topped off then a plain ole trickle charger would be cheaper than another roof mounted obstruction.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It will take more from the engine than the energy the turbines deliver to push them through the air.
At least that is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics says.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
The replies to the article are worth reading. " Unicorn farts create sparkly energy" was my favorite.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you are driving in motion, then your alternator should provide plenty of juice to keep all batteries fully charged.

When parked overnight or dry camping, if the wind is blowing I'm outta there. I do not like wind at all. It forces me to stay inside and weather it out which I hate as I'm an outside type of guy.

Therefore, any wind turbine power supply would NOT be high on my list of items to install anywhere unless it was a 100 foot large permanent one at my home.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I ran across this gadget on Gizmodo that is still in development. It is being designed for electric vehicles but I can see a use on TT's to keep the batteries juiced in transit. It has 4 small wind turbines that strap to the roof of the car. There is a 25 watt version that comes out later this year and and a 1,000 watt model to follow. Might be an idea there. Strap This Wind Turbine To Your Electric Car To Stay Juiced in Park
Here is a good article about a different one in use on an RV

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/n...ind-generators
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2260586672.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	53664  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Now add the industrial 1,000 watt model to Ford's new solar panel
topped Ford C-Max Concept Car and or rain or shine.

Ford C-MAX Concept Car Unveiled With Roof-Top Solar Panels For CES 2014 - HotHardware

Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Basically a 25 watt rated wind machine will deliver 2 amps at maximum wind speed. 2 amps is essentially a trickle charge that will keep a battery topped off but would take many hours to fully charge a battery.
Might be good for camping off the grid. We have done some trips to the National Park campgrounds that don't have electric. I'll reserve a shaded site to keep the RV cooler, but I find my battery lasts about 3 days. By the 4th day I plug the tow vehicles cord back in for a top charge that might give me enough power to keep the frig lite. Solar would work, but I'm in the shade. I think if they came up with a small portable unit you can place next to the RV would help to keep the battery topped off.

These few National Park stays we have done (Mammoth Caves, Smoky Mtns, Shenandoah) we do 4-5 days at a time. So it's almost a given my battery will be dead at some point. We do take short showers every night (3 people) and use minimal lights. The biggest concern is keeping the frig going.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
Superslif....There are portable solar panels that might work for your dry camping. I don't know how well they work, but it might be worth a look. Maybe someone that has one can give you more information. This is just one that Camping World sells, also available from Amazon.

Nature Power Solar Battery Charger Kit- 18 Watt - RDK Products 40015 - Solar Panels - Camping World
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer87 View Post
If one wanted to keep a battery topped off then a plain ole trickle charger would be cheaper than another roof mounted obstruction.
Hit the nail on the head with this. Not enough amps to do anything. I have had my solor put out 50 plus amps many times. Now that will charge the batteries.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #14

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but here it goes. Go to a junk yard and obtain some good Prius Batteries and hook them up to the turbine and lets see where this goes. Prius batteries are very efficient and require very little to charge. What you do with the power is up to you but it would be seen like they could be integrated into all of the electirical system on a bus. Wasted brake friction could also be used. Just some thoughts.

motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof