Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Rookie question on TV reception

Hello all! My wife and I are about ready to pull the switch on a 40' 1985 Safari Ivory DP. This will be our first MH but why not jump in with both feet. I am a retired helicopter mechanic from the USMC so I believe I can do the biggest part of the maintenance myself.

How do you ensure TV signal is available? Can you get satellite service without breaking the bank?

I'd appreciate if you don't laugh at my newbie question.
JeffCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Regular tv reception is possible with your batwing antenna if you have a newer flat screen tv otherwise you will need a digital tv converter box between the antenna and the tv to convert the digital television signal to analog on the old crt tv. As for satellite tv reception, you will need a satellite tv service provider (Dish Network or Direct TV), a satellite dish (portable or fixed mount) and a receiver. You can purchase a Tailgater portable satellite antenna with receiver for Dish Network, the King Flex which receives both Direct TV or Dish Network, or a satellite dish antenna on a tripod. Winegard also has several portable satellite antennas.The tripod setup is probably the least expensive but can be a pain to setup. Satellite tv providers usually have used satellite antennas for about $50.00. I use the tripod setup and a receiver from my home with Direct TV. I can get it aligned in minutes now after years of practice. You can find information on what satellite equipment is available by going to the Camping World website. There are also videos available on the website that illustrates how they work.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Tailgater Antenna I am going on 3 yrs full time and have been using our Tailgater with the 2211K receiver with a separate hard drive to receive Dish 500 HD programing. It is very simple to use. Set it out with a clear view of the southern sky and hook to your cable in connection. Follow the prompts on screen and it sets itself up in 10 minutes. You can call Dish from anywhere and they will remote program your receiver to get local channels. Great for checking local weather forecast . After initial expense of about $500, I pay about $130 a month. There are cheaper packages and special deals for new sign ups. You do not need a cable professional to hook it all up.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had direct TV receiver on our last couch. On this one we did not install one because a lot more local stations are available since the switch to digital broadcasting. As post #2 stated, you need the newer tvs. You can always add receiver later if not satisfied with antenna.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCarol View Post
How do you ensure TV signal is available? Can you get satellite service without breaking the bank?

I'd appreciate if you don't laugh at my newbie question.
First: I use a combination of technology, and a few upgrades to the standard RV over the air system.

There are several RV TV antennas, Many folks rave about the JACK, (I do not) this is a good antenna, medium range, fairly wide beam (Avoid "Omnidirectional" or "No aiming required" antennas) A better antenna is the Winegard,, Most RVs come with a Sensar II or III, these can benefit from two upgrades,, First is the addition of a WINGMAN (UHF Director Array) this improves UHF range by about 1.5 times, The Sensar IV,, comes with this already.

Next is the SENSAR PRO, if your RV has the standard TV wall plate with 12 volt outlet, switch, light and antenna connection, this replaces it,, It adds several features including more range (Gain). which is adjustable, READ THE MANUAL.

Last time I was where I am now, I could not watch OTA, But with the addition of the Sensar Pro and Wingman,, I'm watching a studio quality OTA picture as I type.

This is the best OTA (Over the Air) TV antenna for RV use, there are better ones but they do not fit the RV lifestyle well.

Next: Cable: Some parks offer cable TV, not all, Where I am it is free (included in site rental) some charge a Fee.

Finally Satellite,, Yes, you can do satellite, RECOMMENDATION if you are not already a sat subscriber subscribe with an RV account.. NOT a house account.

You have a choice of receivers, antennas (Dish or dome) and providers.

First: antennas: A ground mounted (Tripod mount) DISH is mandatory,, This dish type antenna should be matched to the receiver you buy or lease It will work with one or more receivers, both SD and HD if you have an HD receiver, It does require some set up time though, However it is mandatory.

Domes: Domes are somewhate limited, A dome type antenna will work with DirecTV, but not with DirecHDTV, most of them work with Dish, both SD and HD, but only with a SINGLE receiver, i you have multiple receivers (or a dual input DVR) you need two or you will be limited,, This is because both services scatter programming over 3 satellites (3 of 9) DISH all six sats are in the same band but the dome can only see one at a time, so if you have two receivers and each wants a different bird,, No joy.. Direc the HD birds are in a different band the dome can not see. That said, with Dish's Eastern Arc, you might get lucky with multiple receivers since most programming is on one sat.

Roof top or ground mount.

Roof top automatic domes and dishes are nice, a Dome can also record while you drive making it double nice. BUT, if you are parked under the evil signal eating tree...

Well that is why a tripod mounted dish is mandatory (you knew I'd get around to that)

Cost: you have seen the advertised prices... THEY LIE.

Other differences:
Dish has a pay when you want it plan, You can buy a month's worth and use it a week at a time if you wish..

Dish however can not offer Distant Network Service (Described below) They can, though, hook you up with whatever is local. you just have to call them every time you move.

DirecTV can offer Distant Network Service to an RV account (not to a house account) this, of course, costs more (A few dollars a month) but you get programming from LA or NYC area delivered anywhere USA. If you get both LA and NYC you get double prime-time so you can record competing shows, one from NYC and one (3 hours later) from LA.. Kind of handy.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That about covers it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

One other thing to get. A loooong run of coax cable. I seen people have to run the coax from the dish to the RV 50-60-90 feet or more in order to get a signal. Some run their coax across the road and tape it down.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A dish is not in the budget, so we have the reg antenna that we crank up. We added a HD antenna to that one. Works okay.
We just bought one from a TV Commercial,(I saw it on TV Type Deal) Just a square black piece that has suction cups and stick it to a window and run the small wire to your newer TV. We now get 10-15 channels.
If we can't get reception then we put in a DVD. Most places we have stayed at had some sort of TV. Unless your planning on Boon-docking then I'm not sure how that would work.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spritz. I hate to tell you this but THERE IS NO SUCH THING as an HD antenna.

What there is are... For the Winegard Sensar II and III an add on that improves UHF pefrformance (Some may call it an "HD" antenna but it is not, it is a UHF director Array).

And a bunch of scammers who claim theirs is an HD antenna.

To the antenna, HD, SD, and assorted other things are all the same,, They are a RADIO SIGNAL, yes, Television is RADIO. and the antenna does not care how it is modulated, Voice, SD video, Slow scan video, HD video, Digital data, Digital voice, to the antenna it is all Radio nothing but Radio. where the differences show up is on the other end of the coax cable.

I hope to go back to proving this next week when I fix my digital radio hardware.. I use the same antenna for both voice and digital, EVEN THE SAME RADIO.. Performance is a bit different though, Digital much better.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the Clarification.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

I use the OTA uhf antenna along with a hdmi converter for my Iphone so I can stream video from just about anywhere. I also use it to throw the gps on the tv screen so everyone can see where we are.
mn.roadking is offline   Reply With Quote