Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #1

Question Routing from NY to Miami and where to dock?

Due to the illness of an elderly family member in Florida, I am going to be driving from NY to Miami in my class A motorhome. My plan is to route west (avoid) the DC area, stay at truck stops while en-route, but find a safe and secure RV park within about an hour (north or east) of the Miami area. From my base camp I shall drive a rental vehicle into Miami. My relative lives on 99th place, the driveway is too small and on a hill, so I can't park the coach there.

I'm looking for advise on routing and also on truck stops or other easy access places to park while sleeping. Also would appreciate first hand knowledge of a safe and secure RV park to use as my base camp for a few days, as I will be leaving the coach unattended during the day.

Thanks so much for any advise offered up!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 04:33 AM   #2

When I travel to FL, I take I-81 south until clear of DC. I think I-77 will get you back to I-95.

I also use the Pilot/Flying J trip planner and search out travel centers that have RV parking. Great tool for overnighting without needing to park with the trucks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #3

Here is a suggestion for a Miami CG. Enclosed, secure, reasonably priced.

http://www.miamidade.gov/parks/larry-penny.asp

Hope all goes well.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #4

Monkey Run,

I'm just assuming the 99 Place is the one out near the Dade County Fairgrounds off the Florida Turnpike?

Someone mentioned Larry and Penny Thompson Park further south, but you also have CB Smith Park in Pembroke Pines to the North as well as Markham Park up in Weston

All three will suit your need to leave the coach unattended during the day and are in close proximity to both I-75 and the Florida Turnpike for your daily commute.

If you want specifics on traffic, travel times or any other area knowledge of Dade or Broward Counties, send me a private message and I will be more than happy to call you.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Thank you!

This is all good information, thanks so much!

Toribk, I believe this is the same 99th Place you are referring to, the Larry and Penny Park is 10 miles from his house. I will pm my number to you prior booking anything, checking places mentioned.

Next step I'll call AAA for maps, that route 77 may be just the ticket.

Downloaded both apps onto my tablet! Love the truck stops for secure overnight stops and the 24 hour eggs!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #6

FYI - we stayed at the Larry & Penny Campground last December, it's a Miami-Dade county run park. We will not return. It's in kind of a sketchy part of town. I'd say over half the campground was filled with refugees from the Puerto Rico hurricane. While they didn't cause us any problems they had their latin music turned up loud until quiet time, and some times past quiet time. While the park is pretty, there was a constant police presence, which on one hand made me feel safer but on the other hand why was there a need for a constant police presence? It's on the south side of Miami so it's not on the side of Miami that you said you were interested in staying anyways.

If we ever go back to Miami, I doubt we will, but if we did, we would look for a privately run campground as apposed to the county park system.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Dmrad,

Oh boy, appreciate that information. Starting to think the admiral is right, I should place a temporary halt to my ban on flying.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 AM   #8

Another option in the area is Miami-Everglades RV. Used to be a KOA a few yrs ago.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #9

Take 77 down to I 26 then cut back over to 95. 95 Harvey with traffic and bad roads in NC SC. We go to update my this way every year. Its about an hour longer but you make this up by not having to deal with dc.
cobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #10

Your description of the campground covers most of Miami. When I have business in Miami and the daily commute is unreasonable, this is where I stay. There is a police station at the entrance to the park. I believe the police presence deters activities that may otherwise occur. If you have a good look at the state and clientele of private CGs in the area, I expect you will come running back to Thompson.

The Broward County CGs (Markham, CB Smith and TY Park) are nicer, but have a fixed rate of $30 or $40 (in season) per day which is $900/$1200 per month. Thompson has weekly and monthly ($565) rates .

I have never had an issue there, since I don’t mind the trumpeting of the elephants or chattering of other animals at feeding time at the Miami Zoo across the back fence.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Due to the illness of an elderly family member in Florida, I am going to be driving from NY to Miami in my class A motorhome. My plan is to route west (avoid) the DC area, stay at truck stops while en-route, but find a safe and secure RV park within about an hour (north or east) of the Miami area. From my base camp I shall drive a rental vehicle into Miami. My relative lives on 99th place, the driveway is too small and on a hill, so I can't park the coach there.

I'm looking for advise on routing and also on truck stops or other easy access places to park while sleeping. Also would appreciate first Ihand knowledge of a safe and secure RV park to use as my base camp for a few days, as I will be leaving the coach unattended during the day.

Thanks so much for any advise offered up!
I
I would one go out I-81 to Front Royal ,take I=66 to rt 17 Thru Warrenton,Va to I-95

Do not go down I-77 the construction North of Charlotte is very bad

Then I would stay at CB Smith county park...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Ditto on what Twinboat said about routing, and ditto on CB Smith park. It is a very good choice for the north side of Miami. A good park, very spacious and well run. If you are going to South Miami, Larry and Penny may be more convenient.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

You also have a choice getting out of town. I-390 to US-15. The latter may now have an I number. It has been made into mostly double 2 lane controlled access almost to VA. We drop down that way and pick up I-81 in Harrisburg.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:46 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Chuckster52 has the route basically right but I'll make a few modifications. I do this route 6-10 times per year for the last three years.

- I-81 to the VA state line. There is a Flying J at exit 323 take has easy access and a state rest area just past the FJ exit.
- At exit 313B, I turn off on Rt. 50 heading to Paris
- Turn right onto Rt. 17 (watch the 35 mph speed limit)
- Jump onto I-66 for a short stint and they turn off on Rt 17 again
- Take to Opal where you take an exit to circle around to stay on 17 (great BBQ and truck stop on left)
- That will lead you to i-95 in Fredericksburg
- My stops after that are FJ Exit 11 Emporia VA, FJ Exit 181 Latta SC, FJ Exit 29 Brunswick GA, FJ Ft. Pierce FL

If you have a smartphone, download Google Maps which will route you around any traffic on 95.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote