Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #1

I just left Feister RV Center in Westland,Michigan. I WILL NEVER go back there again. I wanted to look at a couple of used DP they had on the lot, and the so called salesman met us in the parking lot. I asked if the homes were open, and he said no. I wanted to look at the HR DP on the lot, I told him I now own a 36' "A" Gasser and might be interested in trading up. He said I could not afford the HR @ $199,00.00 and did not want to waste our time. I told him you mean you don't to waste YOUR time and said I would never be back here again not even for a bulb. I am in awe at his attitude, we were the only people on the entire lot, so I know he was not busy. Sorry for the long post, I just had to vent....
snidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #2

I just left Feister RV Center in Westland,Michigan. I WILL NEVER go back there again. I wanted to look at a couple of used DP they had on the lot, and the so called salesman met us in the parking lot. I asked if the homes were open, and he said no. I wanted to look at the HR DP on the lot, I told him I now own a 36' "A" Gasser and might be interested in trading up. He said I could not afford the HR @ $199,00.00 and did not want to waste our time. I told him you mean you don't to waste YOUR time and said I would never be back here again not even for a bulb. I am in awe at his attitude, we were the only people on the entire lot, so I know he was not busy. Sorry for the long post, I just had to vent....
snidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
That would be like saying that Stringbean (the original mandolin player on the Grand Ole Opry) couldn't afford a Caddilac! To look at Stringbean, one could draw the conclusion that he couldn't afford it until he pulled his wad of cash out of his bib pocket.

I agree with you....never go back there.
George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM   #4

I would call the dealer back and speak to the general manager or the owner. NO salesman is to treat any customer like that. The salesman was pre-qualifying you by sight.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He said I could not afford the HR @ $199,00.00 and did not want to waste our time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The salesman was grossly out of line, I agree with Derek, call the General Manager or owner and tell them what happened. Then, don't ever go back there again.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A salesman should never judge a persons finances by the way he dresses. Wonder what he would have thought of Sam Walton in his old chevy truck, flannel shirt and straw hat.

We camped to an old fellow a while back in a shiney new Allegro Bay pusher. He wore bib overalls every day that we were there. They had a Mercedes for a dinghy. He told of the same experience when he was buying.

He was a retired business owner and gentleman rancher. After he sold the business he decided to buy a MoHo and got the "You can't afford anything I sell!" because he had on his overalls, boots and in his ranch truck. He politely went inside and told the manager that he could buy out the whole dealership if he desired and then left. Said he made a point to stop buy to pick up some supplies with his new rig on the first trip out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #7

I dress casually, I am clean and I work in the clothes I wear, i was driving my work truck..I had decided to buy the towing vehicle i wanted...I went to the Ford dealer and told the salesman in the yard what I wanted......"we dont have any!" I could see about 20 or 30 trucks in the compound(this is a farming community so the bigger trucks were there) whats that I said...."I SAID WE DONT HAVE ANY)" why dont you haul your *** on down to the dodge or chevy dealer next door, they have some.......I left..I eventually bought at another dealer,,I mentionned it to the GM of where I was...he knew the other dealer GM personally so he called him to tell the story........... i do believe the salesman was unemployed the next day.. never let your eyes run away with your mouth..::::
I thought I might add to this story,,,,about the another dealer we went to the next day....I was dressed the same and in my old truck, went into the dealer...I was "just looking" at a King Ranch F250 on the lot..it had the "on sale" price of $68000.00 a saleslady came out and greeted us...told her the same story as above...She said we have 3, all of them are sold so we cant let you drive them,,,she asked us to wait one minute, went into the sales office and came back out,,she handed me the keys to this King Ranch and said take if for a drive...its as close as I can come right now..we have some F350 coming in this week ..we eventually bought there, she knew her stuff for sure and was very knowledgeable about what I needed, on the day we actually signed the dotted line, I was knee deep in other matters and really couldnt concentrate much.. my wife and the saleslady did all the work and ordered it the way it should be equipped to do the towing we were going to do...price was no problem as we had the ford employee prices.. i have since sent 3 people to her that hove purchased vehicles...she was a lady and a great sales person....

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 PM   #8

Anyone that "judges" someone by the way they are dressed has no business in anything that involves "walk-in" customers.
Apparently that is the way to weed out rookie salemen. Anyone that would cut their commission by pre-judging by looks hasn't been in the business very long.
I bought my RV at a RV show and was dressed very casually. No problem with the order or the financing.
Some folks just haven't been introduced to the real world yet.
Chet
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #9

A very similar incident happened to my wife at an auto dealership. She drove from her work to look at some vehicles. The salesman walked her out to an older, used vehicle and announced to her that this was the cheapest thing they had. She turned around and left. Needless to say we will never go back.

Although, I used to enjoy going to look at vehicles and not being well dressed. If the salesperson gets obtuse, it can be a lot of fun. String them along and then tell them to get lost.

Frank
Old 08-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #10

.....I always dress down....the next time I dress up will be in a coffin- I hope....though I'd just as soon be buried in Levis and a gray T shirt.....but then again if I'm dead I really dont have a voice in the selection process......geofkaye
Old 08-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #11

snidly

I think the RV salesman in question misread you. He thought you were challengeable - "You can't afford it;" he was expecting you to say "yes I can" and prove it by buying the rig. This salesman is a jerk and shouldn't be selling hot dogs...

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 AM   #12

That was no salesman. He was an order taker.

There is a difference.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I have always felt it was very obvious to me when i entered an establishment, as to who was an owner and who was just a disinterested employee watching the clock.

But then came Starbucks. They are different. I need to find an insider at Starbucks, or infiltrate it , and find out what kind of training or motivation is given to their employees that make them soooooo people orrientated.
I have made a number of observations of how they seem to react to people over the years and at just about every starbucks i go into.
Selling a product may be a tiring profession, but they do it well. Maybe they should sell RV's on the side.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:59 PM   #14

Reminds me of a number of years back when I made the mistake of judging someone ...luckily the thoughts stayed in my mind and never came out in the open. My wife and I were in the audience of the making of a weekly "I love Lucy" TV show. In the seat in front of us was this man that appeared of not having a shave in what I thought 2 days. He was wearing an out of date tweed coat ...and in general, he just didn't seem to fit in. At the half time of the of the film making, Lucille Ball made an announcement (not to be aired) that one of her sponsors was in the audience ...then asked if Mr. Proctor would stand up. I then felt like a big fool. Have you ever heard of Proctor & Gamble ...the makers of all that soap and toothpaste, etc., and probably one of the richest of that time?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote