Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
~~~ Rugs, Rugs, Rugs ~~~

Hope you folks can help with a solution.

We have carpeting in much/most of our new(to us) motorhome. We had the same issues in our 5er. And my DW's mom in her apartment.

We like to put down carpet runners in the MH to help keep the carpet clean(er), especially when we are dry camping in a state park type place.

Problem is... as soon as you step on the runner or throw rug.. they scrunch up and become a tripping hazard.. both in the RV and my MIL's place.

Have ANY of you found a solution to this? We have tried Velcro.. won't work for more than a few crossings. Short of screwing it to the subfloor.. what can be done? My MIL's place has a cement subfloor.. arggh rotohammer drill with expandable inserts and a screw.. Apartment owner would certainly frown on that.

HELLLLLLLLPPPPP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We had the same problem and I just screwed it to the floor and worked fine for 2.5 years now and more than 25,000 miles.

1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I thought of that.. as mentioned in my note.. but, then the slide would have to pass over that rug. I'm hoping for a solution that would allow us topull the rug up when we need to move the slides in.

Appreciate the thought.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #4

We've got hardwood floors throughout but have you tried double sided tape? Seems to me it would at least be cheap and easy to replace periodically.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two thoughts --

self adhesive plastic film carpet protectors

Carpet Protection | PRO TECT for Surfaces | Pro Tect Associates Inc.

heavy plastic carpet runners that have spikes molded in

Amazon.com: Superior American 5300069 27x6' Vinyl Carpet Protector: Office Products
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have successfully used area rugs from Walmart on my coach's tile floor with no problem on slipping. These have the rubber backing on them. I also use the same kind of rugs on my tile floors in the stick house. I haven't had any issues so you might consider trying these.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses
I have successfully used area rugs from Walmart on my coach's tile floor with no problem on slipping. These have the rubber backing on them. I also use the same kind of rugs on my tile floors in the stick house. I haven't had any issues so you might consider trying these.
We use the same. Our little dog has hip problems and can't walk on the uncarpeted surfaces without slipping. These carpets work great for us and our little Buddy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I purchased runner from Lowe's you buy it by the foot and has a rubber backing. When I pull in the slide I just tuck under the slide to start it. Sometimes it will scrunch but not often. Someone has used this product for dash mat as well. I've cut it for the steps(easy to shake out) and under the drivers/passengers feet area. I have a light tan but it comes in grey as well. Nothing fancy but keeps the floors clean. You could prob use as cupboard liner and in the storage bays as needed.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #9

Bill, try the office chair pads at Sam's Club. They are clear plastic, "bumps" on the bottom so the pad doesn't migrate when walked on, and cost only$19.95 for a 36"x48" pad. They are soft enough that they can be rolled up for storage and yet stiff enough to stay put. We use one (cut to fit) up front under the driver's and passenger's feet. Cuts easily with a razor knife. when compared to price at Office Max--starting at $39.95--these are a great deal.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the comments...

First.. the issue is not with rugs on hard surfaces. it has to do with rugs (runners) on carpeted surfaces.

These WalMart runners are rubber backed.. no help with scrunching.

We have tried d/s sticky tape, larger pieces of Velcro. Both work for a few passes of traffic and ten want to scrunch.

We don't want to do anything permanent. It would defeat the nice carpet if we ever decide to trade up/down.

The only sticky plastic carpet material I've seen is the kind in RV lots. It has writing all over it an looks ugly.. IMO..

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #11

gotta a solution for ya

I had the same dilema...even chained the living room area rugs to front seat pedestals and it tore the rugs apart!. Here's the solution. Get some clear pastic runners with sharp little knobbies on the bottom. I got some cheapies at Dollar Store. Cut to cover as much of rug or runner as possible. Then get some all-purpose adhesive in caulk gun application and run a bead around much, not all, of pre-cut plastic non-slip runner. Now stick this to the back of rug or and carpet and it will stay put pretty well. Might have to rearrange after a week or two. remember the sharp knobbies go down into existing carpet [like golf shoes]. This is the only thing that works and can be pulled up time after time, and doesn't wear out. Try it, and oh yes...really cheap fix.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #12

My wife and I had the same problem greatwhite. We purchased a very well made wool rug of our liking and had it "inlayed" into our carpet. Yes we had the section of carpet cut out and the rug seamed to the carpet, not tacked to floor but attached to the carpet. Cost of a professional carpet installer $100, Looks fantastic and stays put even when we pull the slides in. Our friends are wanting to follow suit. PS we tried everything even snaps! This is the way to go!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I gave up the effort keeping my carpet new looking and just finished installing Allure flooring. I read all the posts I could find, followed everyone's advise, the floor looks great!!!! We've done a couple test runs bringing the slide in and out, everything looks good. We purchased a runner from Menards for the slide to ride on, no bunching of runner or buckling of flooring. Now we're installing a reclining loveseat.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Lotsa good ideas. Not sure if we will change to "wood" or wood yet.. but right now, I'm opting toward the plastic runner with "knobby tires" on the bottom.. glued to the underside of the throw carped/runner

Thanks