Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Running another battery

we are going camping in a 16 ft trailer to a state park.There are no hookups and i know alot of people dont care for generators.I have a 12 volt battery in front .The price of 2 6 volt batteries is to high would it be smart to buy another 12 volt to use when the first one drains or will one 12 volt be good enough for 2 days
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

One battery will be good for 2 days...just watch your electric usage. A furnace will be the biggest draw and you probably won't need that at this time of year. Everything else can be run on propane - refrigerator, hot water heater, stove. Use lights sparingly. Fix meals while it's still light outside so you don't need lights. Sit outside or go to sleep early. Good luck. You like challenges, don't you?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

What are you going to power. A few small lights when needed, a noise generator(stereo), 12v coffee pots, 12v hair dryers. It all adds up.

If you are going to be doing this type of camping, then I would invest in a set of 6v golf cart batteries (T-135's). They will take the deep cycle punishment you'll be giving them and with proper maintenance will be running long after your 12v battery banks will no longer take a charge.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

At a minimum I would get a second 12v battery and a battery switch with selections for off, battery 1, Both, battery 2. This would give you a backup battery when the first gets too low plus allow you to disconnect the batteries while in storage. I currently have this setup with two 12v group 29 batteries and works well but I don’t camp without hooks so your mileage may vary. I most likely will upgrade to 6v batteries but not until I need to.
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #5

You don't need an electric coffee pot or toaster. Go to WalMart and get a stovetop coffee pot. They perk so much better coffee anyway. For toast, butter the bread and brown in a fry pan. It's very tasty.

For this one trip try to deal with what you have. If you plan on more dry camping in the future then you can invest in better and more batteries or a 'quiet' generator.

I really think you'll be o.k. for 2 days.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Better yet go to the grocery store and buy a Melita drip pot. Boil water and pour it in. The pour come more water in the kids cocoa cups and her tea. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two 12v bats in parallel will keep you going for days. In fact you will probably find its more power than you need.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

We follow generator rules. If the campground allows their use then you should be fine as long as you follow the rules. Construction type generators are the ones people do not like since they are so darned loud. We have 4 batteries but since we have a built in generator and inverter (5th wheel), we have never tested how long our batteries will last.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You are in a 16' trailer not a DP or a big 5ver with a bunch of glitz. You will be out by the fire or out doing something. What are you going to run a water pump a few lights in the evening, day light hours are long. One battery for 2 days and you will be fine unless all you want to do is spend time in the RV.

LEN
Old 07-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

I use two batteries. Let us know how one worked for you.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to try the one 24 battery I have and see how that works.Maybe should buy another 12 volt if I have to .Thanks for response
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #12

I switched all interior lights to these led lights

and these led's

We have done two weekends on one 24 deep cycle battery. We have been conservative about the power usage. I operate the slide out and awning while still connected to the tow vehicle with it running. Its a good idea to let the vehicle run for 15 to 20 minutes once you arrive so the transmission and oil can cool and not sit too hot so I make use of it. We only turned on the water pump as needed and don't use the radio. We don't have an inverter so no ac powered devices while on battery. I am in the process of installing a battery switch/kill, volt meter and a second battery so I can keep a better eye on things but according to the panel in my camper we haven't fallen below 2/3 on battery yet. I also connect to the truck before bringing in the slide out and awning at the end of the stay.

We have been tent campers for along time so we are used to no power. Coleman camp stove coffee maker, Propane lanterns (not to be used in camper) I cook most meals over the fire or on the grill hooked up outside the camper.
gunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #13

I always try to remember that some RV'ers are weekend warriors, or vacation week(s) travelers. Others are out for months at a time, or full time.

A month at a time, or full timer, may have a different set of needs then those that are out for shorter periods. (Keeping computers up; wifi and cell phone boosters; extra freezers; possibly medical equipment needs; etc.)

I generally agree with the comments about following the campgrounds rules. I personally ignore some of the 'glances and shakes of heads' that I've seen while other campers are perhaps walking by... I've had a few times where people make comments like 'Why come here to just run your generator?', and worse... I consider the source, and suggest they have a good day.

Sure, do what you feel is prudent as far as augmenting your equipment arsenal. We have 800AH of battery bank, and 1200W of Solar Panels - but when your deep in a forrest, generators are still required to augment... I never apologize for following the rules! Twogypsies, and others, have passed on some ideas on reducing power consumption.

If you are running a portable generator. Get one of the quieter models upfront. Not just for 'those around you', but also 'for yourself' too... Look at some of the mod's available to even reduce those low sounds even more. Like ice chest's modified to hold the generator, and even more muffle the sounds.

And, if you have the space - two 6V deep cycle batteries will support you better then one 12V battery (which quite often, or not true deep cycles batteries). Trojan T-105, 125 or 145 (Have to go look some, has not heard of the T-135 so they must have new models.) If spending the money to add two 6V's, and really want to maximize capacity, and add perhaps some reserve for contingency, spend the extra coin up front for battery compartment modifications of the hight capacity batteries. 9 time out of 10, it's a matter of head space, with same foot print that a smaller capacity battery will take. And cables are going to usually cost about the same for standard Golf Cart 6V, vs say higher capacity 6V's.

And read up on the Boon Docking sections for other tips to get by with less power, water needs...

But go have some fun, and as long as you follow the rules - forget about it!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery