Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

I decided to go with a Champion 4000 so I can run the AC at a reasonable altitude here in Colorado. I live at 5500' and all camping sites are way up from here. I also got it so I can power parts of the house in an emergency blackout. For camping I will get a front mounter hitch carrier and will just run the gen on the rack carrier. I'm going with the TorkLift carrier which seems to have a good lock system. Lock and Load. I'll get the gen cover for the road grime. I'm also going to build a custom pvc frame that comes apart and fits the carrier. I'll leave the sides open for the exhaust and ventilation. That's kind of a combination solution I came up with from reading all the responses.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Dale

fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdhealy4 View Post
I decided to go with a Champion 4000 so I can run the AC at a reasonable altitude here in Colorado. I live at 5500' and all camping sites are way up from here. I also got it so I can power parts of the house in an emergency blackout. For camping I will get a front mounter hitch carrier and will just run the gen on the rack carrier. I'm going with the TorkLift carrier which seems to have a good lock system. Lock and Load. I'll get the gen cover for the road grime. I'm also going to build a custom pvc frame that comes apart and fits the carrier. I'll leave the sides open for the exhaust and ventilation. That's kind of a combination solution I came up with from reading all the responses.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Dale

Sounds like a good plan. Hope that champion 4000 is a quiet genny and not a contractor type (loud). If loud you won't like it and your campground neighbors sure won't either.

I have a champion 3100. Inverter quiet type. Very quiet, especially on auto economy mode. 30a RV connection. Runs one air conditioner.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
It may have something to do with the electrocution hazard if you touch the running generator during a pouring rain, and it's sitting on very wet ground
Here is a question for the electric gurus.

I understand that holding a hot wire and standing on the wet ground is deadly. It creates a very high unlimited current and voltage to ground.

I believe it has a lot to do with the power grid using earth as ground.

With a portable generator, although sitting on the ground, can only shock you with it's limited output. Of course it could be fatal to a weak heart.

#1. Am I very wrong and #2. has anyone heard of people who died from portable generator shocks.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
#1. Am I very wrong and #2. has anyone heard of people who died from portable generator shocks.
Unless the gennie is grounded, there would be no path. My gennie is encased in plastic, so there wold have to be some measure of standing water for a path unless it was earth grounded.

The home I lived in was very well grounded. When plugged in at home, removing the wheels to get metal valve stems, I could feel a small amount of AC travelling through my hand to my knee that was on slightly moist soil. I didn't get that from the gennie.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Hope that champion 4000 is a quiet genny and not a contractor type (loud). If loud you won't like it and your campground neighbors sure won't either.

I have a champion 3100. Inverter quiet type. Very quiet, especially on auto economy mode. 30a RV connection. Runs one air conditioner.
It's rated at 68 dBa. I hope it's not too loud too. I need the wattage as it will be a home backup also.
fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM   #20

Running generator in the rain or snow

Check how the specs for this champion 4000 generator you mentioned are measured....for other champion generators it's common for them to measure the Db with the generator running UNDER NO LOAD and at 23 feet away...... The chart below shows Honda generators at FULL load and only 9 feet away!

There is a huge difference in sound loudness the further away you get from the source.

It's my opinion that this is probably a "LOUD" generator!

You could get 2 of the champion 2000 watt inverter type generators, and with the parallel cable kit, you can combine the power of both generators into one 4000 watt outlet. They are bound to be quieter than the one you are considering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453234499.468966.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	116854
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #21

Quote:
It's rated at 68 dBa. I hope it's not too loud too. I need the wattage as it will be a home backup also.
Way too loud for campgrounds. It will be loud 50 yards away.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Way too loud for campgrounds. It will be loud 50 yards away. I have a 5000w backup at home and it is annoying 100 yards away. I got an Smarter Tools inverter generator for camping.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

I understand that holding a hot wire and standing on the wet ground is deadly. It creates a very high unlimited current and voltage to ground.

With a portable generator, although sitting on the ground, can only shock you with it's limited output. Of course it could be fatal to a weak heart.

"Only takes 1/10th of an amp to kill" so much for limited output!
Old 01-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
"Only takes 1/10th of an amp to kill" so much for limited output!
I understand all of that.

I never died with 12 volts and hundred of amps.

I'v also been shocked by 440 volts. By butt hurt from landing on it but it wasn't to ground.

Is the deadly shock from the 30,000 volts that the power grid carries ?
Old 01-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not necessarily the power level that kills, put the path through the body.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #26

Still no reports on my question #2 ?
Old 01-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #27

Quote:

The Red Cross has the following cautions...

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disa...-generator-use

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453417632.771541.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	117005

Tags
generator