Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 PM   #15

Are they really counting heads? Are they going site to site everyday making sure you dont go over by one. Probably not. With so much coming and going to the beach and attractions, if you stay low key you should be fine. Which campground you are trying to get in, some of the cg are tight. And are uninterested in other campers. Others know everyone in the park.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
If you spoke to them on the phone and you made it clear about your head count did you ask them if 7 people was fine? Just make a note of who told you that it was ok and took your reservation so when you get there you'll have your proof of permission. They don't generally go around counting people anyway. That rule is generally enforced when there is a reported problem with parties.
Sounds reasonably hopeful. I specifically told the party on the other end of the phone, who was the general manager owner, 7 people, 4 adults, 3 kids, all family members, and never did he say anything about a limit to 6 per site. But this has given me some pause in buying an RV at all. I did a lot of googling of RV camps around the country and most ranged 5 to 7, and some in FLA said STRICTLY ENFORCED to 6 or you would be evicted from the place.

Some national parks absolutely limited to 5 or 6 and said you can pay for a group camping site if you have 7 to 30 people. or that you must rent two sites. if over 6. So maybe national or state run is much more strict on their own rules than a privately run business.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Are they really counting heads? Are they going site to site everyday making sure you dont go over by one. Probably not. With so much coming and going to the beach and attractions, if you stay low key you should be fine. Which campground you are trying to get in, some of the cg are tight. And are uninterested in other campers. Others know everyone in the park.
I called Camp Hatteras KOA and Camp Hatteras RV where I have tent camped before.
I imagine they are counting heads, when you make a reservation and check in, don't they ask how many are in your group? They are tight meaning you have to reserve far in advance.
Are you suggesting other people when making reservations don't volunteer the information about how many you have in your family?

What the 5 or 6 person rule limit means, our family will never be able to stay at a state run campground.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
As only one experience for an example: I work in RV parks all the time. We would never prevent a large family ( ma, pa, and kids) from camping. However inviting the neighbors, co workers or family friends may cause you a problem. The most likely action would be some would have to buy their own site or pay a fee for the day.
Plus 10
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The rule is typically stated to prevent one RV from arriving with six tents and 25 people. We visited a boating park, Tower Park, in Central California for many years. They had no limit on occupants. Often there were campsites with 6-7 tents and 25+ people. They were charged the same rate as a family of four. They used 5X the services (toilets and showers) as did those in an RV. It really wasn't fair to charge both groups the same rate.

With all that said, I would make sure you ask them about the one extra family member and pay for them if necessary. In reality, you're bringing TWO families in one RV. You said you're looking for a place with a pool and beach. If everyone visiting that RV park, brought extra members, above the limit, the pool and other services would soon be overwhelmed. Our daughter and our grandchildren go camping with us all the time, but have their own RV and pay for a SEPARATE campsite.

I think in your situation, being one over is not a deal breaker.....but the rule was probably designed for one family per spot. Typically, one family would be parents and children, not three generations.
Most campground owners and managers welcome families.
1, 2, or 3 generations.
Heck
They are families themselves.

To think someone would exclude grandchildren is very unusual.

In Most campgrounds that we stay at the owners and or managers. Employees have their children and grandchildren present at times to enjoy the facilities.

Most Americans see camping as a ( Family)
Event .
From my observation.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #20

Often people visit between sites, especially kids, so who can really count how many people there are actually registered to individual sites. As long as your group is not noisy or disruptive, I doubt anyone would say anything.
While I somewhat agree with asking the campground in advance, I have often found that it is much easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect if your gaggle doesn't do anything to bring attention to itself, there will be no counting of the number of people in your party.

Have a nice trip and don't worry about it if the wrong number gets reported when your checking in...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #22

as mentioned here always get a reservation receipt and call to confirm just before leaving home.
my wife and I were going to a antique show in a another town. I called and made reservations at a nice motel with shuttle service to the show. I give the girl my name and visa number and she says all set see you soon, no receipt. so when we arrive I go to the front desk and say I have reservations and give her my name . she says we have nothing under that name do you have a reservation receipt. the look of stupidity fell over my body, it will never happen again.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:00 AM   #23

We have stayed at the KOA many times and no issue with head count. The rule is in place to reduce the RV full of young adults wanting a weekend party spot. Go have fun it's a nice KOA right on the beach and a very nice pool and club house. I have yet to see a camp ground actually count kids with their parents
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #24

We have friends who have 6 girls, mom, dad, and a dog. And they fulltime. They're a heck of a gaggle but great people.

They've never been turned away or booted from a park.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Usually there is no problem with a larger family. But, why not call the campground where you will get acurate information??
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #26

I think most parks have it as an excuse to kick out a group of drunk miscreants who pool cash to rent or buy and RV and proceed to have an 'Animal House' type party at the campground.

Hotels have similar policies, however being a family of 5 we often stay at hotels that have a 4 person limit. We bring a blow up mattress and don't hide it (but to put it out of the way during the day) and have never had a problem.

(long story longer).

15 years ago I went to my fraternity's Biennial meeting in Dallas. We are all young, and broke. We had 20 people in a room for 6. We didn't let house keeping in for the entire time we stayed (about 4 days) we just changed sheets and linens ourselfs. I think this is what they want to avoid (but we were good, even cleaned the room ourselfs and disposed of a 6 foot tall pile of beer bottles and cans).
Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
In my experience, I would just follow the rules. If this is a deal breaker for buying an RV then so be it.

Most reservation sites state the limit of people per campsite. This is done because they don't want the campsites packed like sardines due to proximity to other campsites. I for one like the practice because large families usually bring lots of traffic and noise. I grew up with 3 brothers so I know this from personal experience as well as being parked near large families.

If I were inviting one other members of my family I would reserve more than one site. This buys my immediate family some more space and helps keep everyone enjoy the camping experience. But then I am not trying to shoehorn 7 people into one RV. A 26' RV with that many people is too cramped for my comfort regardless if it has enough beds. I have a 24' and it is just big enough for my family of three. I would make sure you have all 7 people there when selecting an RV keeping in mind someone will always be using the bathroom or cooking and kids never sit still.

I would suggest boondocking but with that many people you would flood your holding tanks in a day.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #28

This has happened for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I know I called several N Carolina outer banks RV campgrounds (some of the bigger well known names) and mentioned there would be 4 adults and 3 kids, and they did not say it would be a problem getting a site and quoted me the rates as shown on their website. But when I just looked at their website they mention 6 people per site.

So its me, wife, my daughter her husband and 3 kids aged right now from 2 years to 6 years old. All are family members. The camper will sleep 8 to 9 people as advertised. But it's this maximum number of people they show on the website that is the problem. Is this selectively enforced? I can understand they dont want teenager parties or something like that. It just seems a family unfriendly policy if you have a larger family.

Our goals were to have a place with pool and beach and 30 amp power for an expandable 26 foot camper and stay somewhere in the outer banks.

Anyone know? I would hate to get a reservation and then we get there and find out we have one person too many.
The most that usually happens is paying for additional members beyond the displayed number.
OleTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, problem