Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Running into a potentially deal killing problem for family RV camping

I know I called several N Carolina outer banks RV campgrounds (some of the bigger well known names) and mentioned there would be 4 adults and 3 kids, and they did not say it would be a problem getting a site and quoted me the rates as shown on their website. But when I just looked at their website they mention 6 people per site.

So its me, wife, my daughter her husband and 3 kids aged right now from 2 years to 6 years old. All are family members. The camper will sleep 8 to 9 people as advertised. But it's this maximum number of people they show on the website that is the problem. Is this selectively enforced? I can understand they dont want teenager parties or something like that. It just seems a family unfriendly policy if you have a larger family.

Our goals were to have a place with pool and beach and 30 amp power for an expandable 26 foot camper and stay somewhere in the outer banks.

Anyone know? I would hate to get a reservation and then we get there and find out we have one person too many.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I know I called several N Carolina outer banks RV campgrounds (some of the bigger well known names) and mentioned there would be 4 adults and 3 kids, and they did not say it would be a problem getting a site and quoted me the rates as shown on their website.

Anyone know? I would hate to get a reservation and then we get there and find out we have one person too many.

If you spoke to them on the phone and you made it clear about your head count did you ask them if 7 people was fine? Just make a note of who told you that it was ok and took your reservation so when you get there you'll have your proof of permission. They don't generally go around counting people anyway. That rule is generally enforced when there is a reported problem with parties.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

There have been 2-3 times that our kids brought friends along and we found that the rule was selectively enforced. We had no problem an time. However, these were local parks and we were willing to risk being turned away.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I know I called several N Carolina outer banks RV campgrounds (some of the bigger well known names) and mentioned there would be 4 adults and 3 kids, and they did not say it would be a problem getting a site and quoted me the rates as shown on their website. But when I just looked at their website they mention 6 people per site.

So its me, wife, my daughter her husband and 3 kids aged right now from 2 years to 6 years old. All are family members. The camper will sleep 8 to 9 people as advertised. But it's this maximum number of people they show on the website that is the problem. Is this selectively enforced? I can understand they dont want teenager parties or something like that. It just seems a family unfriendly policy if you have a larger family.

Our goals were to have a place with pool and beach and 30 amp power for an expandable 26 foot camper and stay somewhere in the outer banks.

Send an email and give the number and age of all. If they OK it in a reply email, be sure to print it out and have it ready to show anyone that gives you any grief.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

rather than asking us you should be asking the parks BEFORE you reserve. get it in writing. if its not wtitten down it didnt happen. good luck.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

As only one experience for an example: I work in RV parks all the time. We would never prevent a large family ( ma, pa, and kids) from camping. However inviting the neighbors, co workers or family friends may cause you a problem. The most likely action would be some would have to buy their own site or pay a fee for the day.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
rather than asking us you should be asking the parks BEFORE you reserve. get it in writing. if its not wtitten down it didnt happen. good luck.
^^^^^ This is your answer. Why would you take our word for it? You need to get a definitive answer from the park …. in writing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe it's 6 people at the posted rate additional people are more per person.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:57 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never heard of anyone being turned away and we have camped next to "large 8+ families". However I have seen some campgrounds charge extra for the above limit number of folks occupying a site.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The rule is typically stated to prevent one RV from arriving with six tents and 25 people. We visited a boating park, Tower Park, in Central California for many years. They had no limit on occupants. Often there were campsites with 6-7 tents and 25+ people. They were charged the same rate as a family of four. They used 5X the services (toilets and showers) as did those in an RV. It really wasn't fair to charge both groups the same rate.

With all that said, I would make sure you ask them about the one extra family member and pay for them if necessary. In reality, you're bringing TWO families in one RV. You said you're looking for a place with a pool and beach. If everyone visiting that RV park, brought extra members, above the limit, the pool and other services would soon be overwhelmed. Our daughter and our grandchildren go camping with us all the time, but have their own RV and pay for a SEPARATE campsite.

I think in your situation, being one over is not a deal breaker.....but the rule was probably designed for one family per spot. Typically, one family would be parents and children, not three generations.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:43 PM   #11

With all those kids running around they won't be able to get a good head count.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

I volunteered at Cape Hatteras National Seashore a few summers ago. I was not a Camp Host so not sure of the National Park rules regarding the max number of campers and they did NOT have pools in any of their campgrounds. But I do remember a KOA in the OBX that had a pool and KOAs are very family friendly.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One extra is not going to get you flagged or turned down. 4 or 5 extra will if you are noisy/rowdy. They just don't want you using the park for a cheap family reunion.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We had 4 kids, and sometimes we took one of their friends with us. We always took the $5-10 extra fee without demur. Sometimes we didn’t get charged, and sometimes we did.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, problem