Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Does anyone here leave their red running lights on the back of their 5th wheel/TT on all night ?? I was just wondering what the point of it was. I've been seeing it more and more lately and almost every RV in our row last weekend was doing it. I can understand maybe if you needed more light when you were out behind the RV, but why leave them on all night ?? They didn't bother me, just curious...</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Does anyone here leave their red running lights on the back of their 5th wheel/TT on all night ?? I was just wondering what the point of it was. I've been seeing it more and more lately and almost every RV in our row last weekend was doing it. I can understand maybe if you needed more light when you were out behind the RV, but why leave them on all night ?? They didn't bother me, just curious...</span>

Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Does anyone here leave their red running lights on the back of their 5th wheel/TT on all night ?? I was just wondering what the point of it was. I've been seeing it more and more lately and almost every RV in our row last weekend was doing it. I can understand maybe if you needed more light when you were out behind the RV, but why leave them on all night ?? They didn't bother me, just curious...</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be protesting a price increase or reduction in park lighting/services by wasting electricity.

Someone may have accidently left his on and when asked he joked that it helped the converter maintain his batteries better and the rest thought he was serious and are doing it to help theirs also.

Getting a jump on the holidays?

They think it looks nice?

It makes them feel more secure?

Maybe you could ask them and then let us know the answer.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Maybe they bought one of these and wanted to show it off:

Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 AM   #5

I think they do it because they can.Trying to be differant. When I had a trailer I had an old blinker relay and someone showed me how to put it on my trailer light connector to make them blink while parked.I did it once and wife told me to grow up,so I did

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #6

Don't most TT and 5th wheels require being plugged into the tow vehicle to run thr running lights? I know mine won't work unless I'm plugged into my truck, that just seems like it'd be a pain and something to forget to unhook when I go into town.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
You can jumper from the +12VDC terminal to the running lights terminal at the trailer's 7-pin connector to light the tail and marker lights without being connected to the tow vehicle. In this mode, they're powered by the trailer's battery which is being charged by the power converter.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #8

Could it have been a reflection from an overhead light making them seem they were lit?

That was the case for me lately while in a park in Wells Nevada. There were three rigs that LOOKED like they had their running light on but alas, eye trick!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #9

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">These lights were definitely on, and were on purpose. The way the campground was set up the firepits were all behind the Rv's kind of in a line. So you could see all the back of the rv's and everyone around their fires. Over half of the people in our line left their running lights on all night. We were usually the last people out enjoying our fire and all of their lights they left for us </span>

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #10

This is Tom Bodette and we'll leave the lights on for ya!

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Maybe they bought one of these and wanted to show it off:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we had our 5-r, we used this FlashCube often for site lighting at night - worked especially well on flash mode as decoration at campgrounds having Halloween weekends in the fall. We did not leave them on all night, though. It kept not only our red running lights but the yellow ones on, too, which are kind of bright & we didn't want to disturb our neighbors' sleep. We would turn them off whenever "quiet time" began at the campground (10 pm or so).

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote