Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
We solved the dash air heating and cooling problem (for two people) by installing wall to wall and ceiling to floor thermal drapes just behind seats. Close drapes and freeze. Drapes find other uses: heating or cooling coach with drapes closed eliminates cab area, for quick privacy and when parked for extended time we can put lots of stuff in the front and hide it. And one unexpected benefit is the improved audio from sound bar with drapes closed. But have to admit that roof air on an hour or so before arrival sure makes life more comfortable. As to which cooling method is more efficient - very hard to prove I think due to so many variables from coach to coach. But if it is hot and there additional passengers, I see no choice but to run roof air.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #16

I run the roof air and direct the air from this to the cab, very effective.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My dash air works great for travel in South Florida. I do close the passage way door to the bath and bedroom. Something not mentioned, and maybe not obvious to everyone, always run the dash air on re-circulate for maximum cooling. Running on fresh air will never get you cool on a hot day.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Dash air will cool the immediate area, but it can't overcome heat building up in the rest of the coach, so it's inefficient given the load it puts on the engine and resulting fuel consumption. Roof air loads the genny, not the engine, so you have your best effective engine efficiency for tackling hills and starting from a stop, and it's able to fill the entire coach with cool air. Overall, the roof air will probably be most efficient; use the dash air to supplement in the cab area for comfort if needed.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I do the same as DonDee stated above in a previous post. We place a fan in the kitchen area and blow the cool air toward the cab. Works great in any temperature.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #20

We dont drive very often in excessively hot temps but the last time we did, we took the advice of a friend and hung some shower cutains [desiger of course--not really] right behind the driver and passenger seats. This allows the dash air a better chance of keeping a smaller space cool, even with the fish bowl effect. Later in the day we move the curtains back behind intake for the front AC unit and ran the genny for awhile--we stayed pretty comfortable despite outside temps in the 100s.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvntureCats View Post
Dash air will cool the immediate area, but it can't overcome heat building up in the rest of the coach, so it's inefficient given the load it puts on the engine and resulting fuel consumption. Roof air loads the genny, not the engine, so you have your best effective engine efficiency for tackling hills and starting from a stop, and it's able to fill the entire coach with cool air. Overall, the roof air will probably be most efficient; use the dash air to supplement in the cab area for comfort if needed.
To each his own, my dash air pumps 45 degree air all day, 7.4 mpg total odometer miles divided by total gallons. Keeps me happy
Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
Just made the trip back from Houston to Vegas doing a good bit of the driving into the sun. Tried running the generator with both A/C units and we were miserable. At our noon stop, I shut them down and went with the dash air.
I believe I would have my a/c units checked... I'm in the same camp as the others that are posting here, my roof a/c's work much better than the dash air.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
We solved the dash air heating and cooling problem (for two people) by installing wall to wall and ceiling to floor thermal drapes just behind seats. Close drapes and freeze. Drapes find other uses: heating or cooling coach with drapes closed eliminates cab area, for quick privacy and when parked for extended time we can put lots of stuff in the front and hide it. And one unexpected benefit is the improved audio from sound bar with drapes closed. But have to admit that roof air on an hour or so before arrival sure makes life more comfortable. As to which cooling method is more efficient - very hard to prove I think due to so many variables from coach to coach. But if it is hot and there additional passengers, I see no choice but to run roof air.
Did you make the drapes or did you purchase them form someone who makes them based on the actual dimensions. How are they attached. I sure would like see some pictures.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
I run the roof air and direct the air from this to the cab, very effective.

Looks interesting, what brand and model is it.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the dash a/c to control humidity on the windshield... thats about it. Otherwise the roof a/c and all the power the genny provides is much more enjoyable for the occupants. Also the dash a/c has a pronounced parasitic effect on the engine output...well at least with gassers.
If you dont have ceiling ducts for your a/c it may not get the best distribution. On long trips we can hang laundry in the bedroom and turn the a/c down to 60 in that zone and the damp clothes/gear are fresh & dry when we arrive.

Also if your coach doesnt have a well insulated roof... on it would be a toss up which is more efficient and impacts miles per tank.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Did you make the drapes or did you purchase them form someone who makes them based on the actual dimensions. How are they attached. I sure would like see some pictures.

Thanks
See post 18 at
Damon mods

Walmart thermal drapes and Amazon curtain rod. Really a pretty easy job. PM if you have more questions.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Unless it is very hot, we run the dash air. I doubt that compressor is much of a strain on a 400hp Cummins. When I used the dash air recently, I watched the digital guage of the engine temperature...it did not change when the A/C was turned on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Running dash air

On our Aspect 26A, we find that the dash air is plenty cool, even in S. Fl., and it gets the "house" tolerable for lunch stops. I usually start the gen when stopped and use the roof air. We use the micro wave on some lunch stops so in that case the gen. is running anyway.

John