Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #29

I had the windshield fitted with a UV resistant polymer clear tint. This is a new product that offers about 98% heat reduction even in the bright sun. There is little to no tint to it. I can use just the dash air when running toward the sun in 90+ weather. Prior ti the window tint both AC's couldn't keep it cool.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #30

Forest, can you share the name of the uv film you used? Also does it cause/effect reflections of the dash?

Thanks Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #31

I have it in the MH, I will get it. It is a thick clear film, new technology which blocks heat. There is no visible evidence from the outside or inside that the film exists. Remember we go through the Mojave so it has received a good test. There are no reflections inside or out, day or night.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #32

Here is a link to the type of films I am referring to: http://www.tintworld.com/automotive-...r-window-tint/
Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I had the windshield fitted with a UV resistant polymer clear tint. This is a new product that offers about 98% heat reduction even in the bright sun. There is little to no tint to it. I can use just the dash air when running toward the sun in 90+ weather. Prior ti the window tint both AC's couldn't keep it cool.
UV rays (ultra violet) do not create heat, IR (infra red) rays do. The link you provided doesn't say anything about blocking IR, so I don't see how it blocks heat. Maybe if it had a metallic coating to reflect heat, but UV is not heat producing. The ad says it allows '75% visible light transmittance', meaning 25% blockage of visible light, not exactly perfectly clear. A tint might block IR, according to it's make up, but it is not an automatic thing and the ad doesn't claim any heat reduction. Reminds me of those open weave table umbrellas, they provide a bit of shade but allow all the IR rays through, providing little cooling.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #34

http://wot.motortrend.com/3ms-window...int-77391.html

They block both depending upon the film you select and vary by your selection. There are several makers of these films I chose one which blocked the most heat, it also blocks UV rays. The name I will have to get out of the TV.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
http://wot.motortrend.com/3ms-window...int-77391.html

They block both depending upon the film you select and vary by your selection. There are several makers of these films I chose one which blocked the most heat, it also blocks UV rays. The name I will have to get out of the TV.
This particular tint blocks 40% of the heat. Those with higher heat blocking are thicker and more expensive but the are available in our area.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #36

This sounds like the one but I won't know till I go to the MH which is parked in Lucerne (Mohave Desert)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
The 3M film seems to be more like what you have, the first link suspiciously didn't even mention heat. Thanks for the information.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #38

Yes it did it blocks 40% I believe. The product i used was not 3M's which is surprisingly. I store the MH down the hill, 20 miles away. I have the receipt in the glove compartment. Here in California you can't tint your front windshield but since this product is clear and significantly reduces heat passage it is quite popular. I'll post a pic.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #39

My films were applied by Shaded Industries in Victorville CA, 760-596-0095. The product I have is Suntec CXP with a 70 % heat rejection. There is also a new product 3M Crystalline with a 97% heat rejection. I hope that answers everyone's question. These are basically clear films and have no mirror effect. I've been extremely happy with the Suntec product. The 3M product is even better.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #40

Thank you for the update!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #41

Driving from So Cal to Redding in the summer, my practice was to turn off the dash air and go with the roof air once the clutch fan on the engine started coming on due to the outside air temperature. The dash air kept me cool as a driver, but was marginal for those in the back. With the dash air off, and only the roof air on, I cooked up front, especially in our Class C. So we started using portable fans that plug into the accessory outlets. It's 107F in Redding right now right here at the RV site. We drove up from Lodi this morning. I kept waiting for the clutch fan to kick on telling me to fire up the generator and use the roof air. It never did on this new coach. (Incidentally, any grade that will require the transmission to shift down, the air goes off until we're over the summit.). When necessary, use both roof and dash and supplement them with fans. But turn off the dash if conditions, like those on either side of the Sierra can do, gets too hot for the engine. I'd rather sweat a little than be stranded with an overheated engine.