Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #43

This kind of attitude is a problem.

"It's speeding !! You were caught, get over it.

It wasn't the cops fault."

It's called blind justice. When police and judges do not use "judgement" when enforcing the law then you have a breakdown of civility. Civility is what holds society together. Anyone who wants to see an almost perfect example of civility should read a biography of our founder George Washington. My hero as one of the best leaders in all history.

Speed rules are made by a civil society to promote safety. But of course many times speed signs are put up out of expediency. Meaning that the posted speed is an estimate based on all possible conditions this roadway may experience. For example; rush hour, rain, snow, fog, kids in the street, and so on. In my opinion judgement should be exercised by the enforcer on if it was a safe speed for the conditions. This is clearly written into the rules of the road in our State. When it is slick conditions like snow it may be unsafe to drive at 10 miles under the speed limit. When there is no traffic and no people near the road maybe 10 miles over is safe. To say, the limit is the limit no matter what the conditions will cause a breakdown in civil society. Judgement is the glue that holds a civil society together and enforcing rules because you can that are not appropriate for road conditions will cause people to be pushed apart.

We need more compromise today and less "gotcha's".

You can see lots of evidence of the problem in this thread.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I haven't heard any solutions, only complaints, so I guess being careful is the answer.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Obey the laws of society and you won't get ticketed or arrested. Seems pretty basic to me.
That being said, I've discovered that just about every small town has it's "hidden cop with a radar gun" lurking somewhere.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #45

Also be very careful inside the city limits of Youngstown, Ohio. They have discovered that a cop with a radar camera can make them a bundle. Because of a loophole in the law that does not involve points, they just take a picture and mail you a ticket a week later. Most people according to the news were not even aware of an infraction till the ticket showed up. And NO I have not gotten a ticket.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post

Obey the laws of society and you won't get ticketed or arrested. Seems pretty basic to me.
The case of Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner argues otherwise. I can cite many more examples of police abusing the citizenry. Police enforce policy and history shows many of them are indifferent to the legality or basic justness of those policies.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
The case of Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner argues otherwise. I can cite many more examples of police abusing the citizenry. Police enforce policy and history shows many of them are indifferent to the legality or basic justness of those policies.

So, be VERY careful in small towns.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hi Steve;
We travel between Canada and Yuma on a yearly basis.

I have noted a number of instances where the construction zone speeds are still in the current GPS database both for our GPS and Rand McNally units.

I have also noted several instances where the database is not current on the location of the edge of town speed zones. I have set the GPS to warn me two miles before a speed zone change in order to be warned of this. My Garmin Zumo does not have the warning feature but the Rand McNally does.

No tickets so far - touch wood!
We were at Cocopah for a month and a half this past winter. Made some great friends. May well go back this coming winter. Will make note of your mention of Yuma.

Speaking of touch wood... I haven't had a moving violation of any kind since sometime in the 70's. Matter of pride at this stage of the game!

I stay very close to the 65 mph ceiling Honda has on the CR-V. That probably keeps me in line too.

Maybe see ya in Yuma!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
Lawtey Florida police department has been disbanded as they were caught siphoning funds to build their personal homes.

It was Waldo and Hampton, not Lawtey.

"Traffic ticket quotas for law enforcement agencies would be illegal under a bill passed by the Florida Senate.

The so-called "Waldo Bill" (SB 264) passed unanimously with no debate Wednesday. It must still pass the House and be approved by the governor to become law.

The bill's nickname comes from the city of Waldo on heavily travelled U.S. 301, once considered one of the nation's worst speed traps. In 2014, Waldo police officers disclosed a quota system, and the Gainesville Sun reported that traffic tickets accounted for almost half the city's revenue. The police force has since been disbanded."

Waldo police (7 people) wrote 12,000 tickets in a year.

And my favorite from the city of Hampton;

"One policeman, who was better known as “Rambo,” kept an assault rifle strapped across his chest just to write up traffic tickets."

Yep, it's all about safety.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #50

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow.... I'm sorry that so many have had bad experiences when dealing with law enforcement. I always tell my guys that "customer service" is the most important part of their job... I expect it from them and it is a large part of their yearly evaluation.
The city where I work has a population of about 65,000 people. There are times when there is me, (Sgt.) and 5 officers on patrol. Believe me, working traffic gets shoved to the back burner. We simply don't have the time to sit and work radar.
We are told to "do more with less" instead of hiring adequate staff.
I and every other officer out there is expected to exercise proper discretion constantly... Not every officer does this correctly or intelligently. This is unfortunate and causes all officers to look bad in the public's eye.
Cops are people and sometimes make mistakes, but when you call 911, a cop is going to be there to help you whether you hate the police or not.

Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #51

I would much rather travel in a city/town in which the traffic laws are enforced than a city where the laws are ignored and people drive 20 over the limit and tailgate. There are many areas we travel where there is little or no enforcement and the locals are use to it.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's speeding !! You were caught, get over it.

It wasn't the cops fault.
My thoughts exactly.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 05-30-2016, 12:05 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
We were at Cocopah for a month and a half this past winter. Made some great friends. May well go back this coming winter. Will make note of your mention of Yuma.

Speaking of touch wood... I haven't had a moving violation of any kind since sometime in the 70's. Matter of pride at this stage of the game!

I stay very close to the 65 mph ceiling Honda has on the CR-V. That probably keeps me in line too.

Maybe see ya in Yuma!
Hopefully so. We stay at Rivers Edge, just across the river.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
Wow.... I'm sorry that so many have had bad experiences when dealing with law enforcement. I always tell my guys that "customer service" is the most important part of their job... I expect it from them and it is a large part of their yearly evaluation.
The city where I work has a population of about 65,000 people. There are times when there is me, (Sgt.) and 5 officers on patrol. Believe me, working traffic gets shoved to the back burner. We simply don't have the time to sit and work radar.
I and every other officer out there is expected to exercise proper discretion constantly... Not every officer does this correctly or intelligently. This is unfortunate and causes all officers to look bad in the public's eye.
Cops are people and sometimes make mistakes, but when you call 911, a cop is going to be there to help you whether you hate the police or not.

Brian.

It is not so much that so many have had bad experiences when you count the number of experiences out there. Most do not appreciate the number of hours police are out there "looking after" us without our knowledge.

There are a number of experiences that seem to be so patently unfair or skewed that we seem to like to write about them. Paints all of the force with the same brush it appears.

I got a photo radar recently. 66 in a 50 zone while leaving town. If the camera would have been angled 10 feet to the right it would have shown the 70 sign. The last residence or approach was a couple hundred feet behind, clear open farmland ahead. This was not a police officer but a 'special constable' who was given direction by the local police force. I will leave it in your judgement whether or not the ticket was "correct". Legally it was but . . . . . Talked to several folks including a lawyer who said I should have fought it. Most said the judge would have censured the officer.

Now am I skeptical when the local politician or police chief stand up and say photo radar is about safety!!
Old 05-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post

Brian.

X2....Sherrifbubba has been right on the point in his posts...I was staying out of this one, being a Retired Police Captain, and having 31 years LEO experience. The bottom line is all of you who think the Police are out to get you, who are you going to call when the Crooks are victimizing you and your family. You're going to call the Police, as that is what Civilized, honest, ethical, hard working people do. And no matter who you are the Police will come running to help you.

I've worked it all, including 4 years in Internal Affairs, and yes some do get through the cracks, and through the hiring process that shouldn't, just like any job. But we discipline them, retrain them, or fire them as quickly as we can. I know one bad apple really makes us all look bad and it shouldn't happen, but it does in every profession, yours included. I too have trained, mentored and supervised hundreds of Police officers, and the two most important rules I had for them were- 1) do your job the best way possible as your were trained to do, treat people with dignity and respect and as you would want your family to be treated by Law Enforcement, and 2) take care of each other and come in safe at the end of your shift. I would say 99% of Officers nationwide work this way.

I highly doubt anyone here has received a speeding ticket for 1 mile per hour over the posted speed. Any judge would throw that out of court as they don't expect that automobile speedometers are that accurate, nor would they see that as a danger. Now you could have received a ticket for 1 mile per hour over the posted speed limit if the speed was unsafe for the conditions at that time. You see the posted speed limit is for ideal conditions, there are a variety of reasons the safe speed may be slower than posted at the given time(ie rain, fog, wind, traffic congestion ect). Think of it this way, anytime a person rear ends another vehicle, they have violated the basic speed laws, no matter what their speed was, and are subject to a citation.

Bottom line is don't speed, and you won't get ticket. I think the OP or one of the posters said they were "only" going about 10-15 MPH over the speed limit when they passed the sign, Oh well sounds like you deserved a ticket. Most Officers are way too busy to worry about traffic issues, unless that is their specific assignment, or they are dispatched to a call for service related to it. Sure the Cities do get revenue from citations issued to cover some of the costs related to traffic enforcement, and traffic accident investigations, but the amount received is nowhere near what the actual cost of enforcement is.

Space Norman, do you really think the City where you work purposely made it so that there wouldn't be enough parking just so they could write parking tickets for revenue. No, because the revenue doesn't even cover the costs for the guys writing the tickets. I've written many budgets for services in our City, so I know the costs, and you don't cover those expenses by writing tickets. Do you think that maybe businesses like yours built around the existing parking available, or grew too big, and now there are no parking spots for others with downtown business. Don't you think some of the retail businesses want parking available for customers, not just the workers. They have to do something to keep it fair. In most Cities parking availability is a major issue, and building a parking structure is not always a viable option.

The bottom line is the "Police" are your friends and they are only doing their job when enforcing the law. Sure they can always use their discretion but most of the time how much discretion they use is directly related to how you interact with them.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I got a photo radar recently. 66 in a 50 zone while leaving town. If the camera would have been angled 10 feet to the right it would have shown the 70 sign.
This is a great example of you just need to follow the rules and you won't get a ticket( although I don't agree with the use of camera tickets).....not trying to be disrespectful but, you were speeding, 16 MPH over the speed limit, most Officers will only give you 10 over before writing a ticket. The 70 MPH starts at the sign, not that you should be up to 70 MPH when you hit the sign. Two things those cameras are usually located before you see the 70 MPH sign, so I would imagine the camera angle had nothing to do with it. And two, most places you see this type of thing is where you are on a main road or highway with a fairly high speed limit that passes through small towns. Highway 395 through the Sierras has many of these. The people who live and work there don't like people speeding through there town creating a safety hazard. We don't get to make the rules, unless we have all the information that created them and were involved in the decision at that time, but we are expected to follow them.
Closed Thread