Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
I must lead a very sheltered life. I have been behind the wheel for over 50 years and have NEVER seen a motorhome pulled over by the law.
I was pulled over driving a 40' motorhome on a two-lane country highway in the Texas hill country.

I passed by someone who was stopped by the DPS, and a few minutes later that same DPS guy was behind me with his lights going. On a hilly road, one lane going my way, no shoulder, and a big gully running along the edge of the road.

I slowed down looking for a place to pull off but there wasn't one, and finally carefully put the right tires a little bit over on the grass, with the rest of the motorhome in the road. I couldn't get any farther off the road, and tried not to do it just over the crest of a hill, so upcoming traffic would have some notice I was stopped there, but I'm not sure another driver would have been that mindful.

Cop came up to my passenger side door, so I got up to open the door, and he told me I hadn't been wearing my seat belt. He apparently managed to see this while engaged in a traffic stop of another person just over the crest of a hill, as I passed by (I crossed over to the other lane to give them room) at about 45 mph. Quite an eagle eye on this guy.

Only he was wrong. I was wearing my seat belt, and I told him that. We went back and forth a little. Finally, he told me to sit back down and put my seat belt on, and he walked out in front of the coach and looked through the windshield and came back and said I had a beige shirt on and the seat belt is beige, and left. Never even asked for my license or insurance.

If he was pulling me over for safety's sake, he needs to rethink his priorities. It's a LOT safer to have someone not wearing a seat belt than to make a 40-foot motorhome stop on the highway with no choice but to be in the travel lane. I'm still angry that he put me, and others, in that dangerous position, for no good reason.

I guess a middle-aged white woman wasn't what he was looking for, but I would think he would have seen that's what I was when he "noticed" I wasn't wearing a seat belt as I crested a hill and passed by him at 45 mph.

Oh, and that eagle eye? Not good enough to see the expired inspection sticker on my windshield as he stood in front of the RV looking right at the windshield.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #58

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
I've been a "cop" for 22 years... .<snip> law enforcement officers killed on so called "routine" traffic stops. When an officer pulls you over, he or she is doing their job.... They are not out to "make a fast buck" or in any way, "racially profile" you as you pass through the town the they work in.
I have the utmost respect for our officers of the law. However, I really take issue with this...because as someone who has had several law enforcement personnel in her family, I know this is patently false. Not the racial comment, but the "not out to make a fast buck" one. They DO....and ARE expected to issue tickets....simply because odds are a certain amount of people on any given day are going to be speeding. Not issuing tickets means they aren't doing their jobs, if they consistently don't write them often.

Ticketing people for >5 mph over the limit is ridiculous, and I'd have a very hard time being 'nice', even though I know sass would get me in further doo-doo.
Especially when you get popped for "accelerating" before the posted speed increase sign, when it's in plain view. And cops wonder why they get a bad rap.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonlb View Post
I have the utmost respect for our officers of the law. However, I really take issue with this...because as someone who has had several law enforcement personnel in her family, I know this is patently false. Not the racial comment, but the "not out to make a fast buck" one. They DO....and ARE expected to issue tickets....simply because odds are a certain amount of people on any given day are going to be speeding. Not issuing tickets means they aren't doing their jobs, if they consistently don't write them often.

Ticketing people for >5 mph over the limit is ridiculous, and I'd have a very hard time being 'nice', even though I know sass would get me in further doo-doo.
Especially when you get popped for "accelerating" before the posted speed increase sign, when it's in plain view. And cops wonder why they get a bad rap.
Simply not true, unless you've written Police Budgets you have no idea how much the revenue from tickets is not "making a fast buck" as the labor alone costs more than the revenue to the City gets in return. Anyone with any type of job is expected to produce something, wouldn't you agree. Most Patrol Officers aren't "expected" to write any citations unless they have a specific traffic problem in their assigned area. Motor Officers are expected to write citations and conduct traffic accident investigations, that's their job. Even though there are no quotas, it is not hard to write tickets of people violating traffic regulations, and they usually only get the flagrant violators. Did you know that most Officers write tickets in areas that are base on a high volume of traffic accidents or complaints. I'm sure if you would ask one of your family members that is an Officer they would tell you the same thing.

It's funny to me that you say "And cops wonder why they get a bad rap" when they enforce the law, with discretion that is based on information you may have no knowledge of but yet you say "I have the utmost respect for our officers of the law". When do the violators get a bad wrap, when they go to court and the Judge finds them guilty and they are held accountable, which is the bulk of the time, if they received a citation. So I guess in your opinion the Judges deserve a "bad rap" too?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #60

Kind of an irritating thread. Speed traps. So what? Police "should" be looking for speeders when time allows.
Another poster suggested it is the ruin of society as we know it when citizens aren't allowed to use their own judgement when speeding. Something about George Washington. Their were no cars capable of going wildly fast and killing innocent people. Or was that George Washington with a crystal ball. Speed limits are posted so as to prevent people having to use their own judgement. I like that cuz I've seen some really poor judgement on the roads.
Debate about the transition between speed postings and whether there was fair warning.. Ahhhhh come on now.
Just pay attention, don't speed, and this thread would never a have opened.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #61

At one time I was one ticket away from getting my lic suspended in Texas and Okla. I deserved every one of them. I got one last year for doing 75 in a 55. I deserved it too. I missed the sign that dropped the speed limit. In Texas you have to be at the posted speed limit when you get to the sign. Not after or before. You don't get to pick which laws you want to obey. Speeding one mile over the posted speed limit is against the law.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #62

Ok, how about red light cameras ?
Old 05-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

No problem. I'm gonna get me a combo radar and red light detector. That way I'll know when I should slow down and not speed, and not to run that red light...
Old 05-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
How about them? They don't go on your driving record if you don't pay. Speeding tickets do.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #65

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike and others, I really appreciate the support that you have expressed toward law enforcement officers... No matter what some think, being a cop is not like what people see on tv. It is hard dangerous work that the vast majority of society would not want anything to do with.

To the OP: I am sorry that I hijacked your original speed trap related thread... It was not my intention.

Some people will never change their minds about what they think about law enforcement or cops no matter what is presented to them, and that's ok. However I can assure you that the vast majority of us out there are there for the right reasons and want to always do the right things while on the job.
I will get off this thread because it will not do any good for me to try to debate this topic any longer.

I hope everyone has a Great Memorial Day! I will be working my usual 12 hour shift tonight, doing my bet to make sure that the people in my jurisdiction are safe and not victimized by the thugs and criminals that are always among us. (And no cost the tax payers anything extra for me and my officers to work on this holiday.)

Thank you for your time, Brian

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Kind of an irritating thread. Speed traps. So what? Police "should" be looking for speeders when time allows.
Another poster suggested it is the ruin of society as we know it when citizens aren't allowed to use their own judgement when speeding. Something about George Washington. Their were no cars capable of going wildly fast and killing innocent people. Or was that George Washington with a crystal ball. Speed limits are posted so as to prevent people having to use their own judgement. I like that cuz I've seen some really poor judgement on the roads.
Debate about the transition between speed postings and whether there was fair warning.. Ahhhhh come on now.
Just pay attention, don't speed, and this thread would never a have opened.
Well said, you don't get to pick and choose what laws are important to you, they were put in place to protect everyone. In a sense you do get to pick and choose, but then don't complain if you get caught and are held accountable. And some peoples threshold for what is important can be a pretty low bar.

The best traffic court Judge I ever testified in front of ran his Court this way. At the daily traffic Court beginning there would usually be about 100 people there to fight their tickets. He couldn't possibly hear that many cases so he would say something to this effect "Look traffic laws are put into place to protect everyone, you included. You don't get to pick and choose which ones you think are important. If you are in here today, you are most likely guilty, of whatever the Officer cited you for. We all violate traffic laws from time to time, me included, either by accident or on purpose, sometimes you get caught sometimes you don't, it's the chance you take but if you got a ticket you probably deserve it. For anybody wishing to plead guilty and sign up for traffic school, I would recommend you do that now".

He would then take a break and about 75% of the people would plead guilty and take traffic school. The other 25% would plead their case and about 95% of them would be found guilty and fined the normal fine. Most of those people afterwards, if they talked to us, would say they should have plead guilty and took traffic school as they knew they did the violation but thought they would be the "exception". It wasn't always a fight or the people thinking we were "bad cops" for enforcing the law.They just got caught and were decent enough to deal with it and move on.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #67
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmiiler View Post
Lawtey Florida police department has been disbanded as they were caught siphoning funds to build their personal homes.
As someone else also indicated, it was not Lawtey that was disbanded. The town I wrote about earlier was Hampton, FL (I looked it up). They had severe financial and nepotism problems in the city and were balancing their "budget" by writing tickets on US301, even moving the town limit signs so they could get more money. The county sheriff was quite frustrated with them. The State of Florida finally dealt with them.

The police department that was disbanded was in Waldo, FL. These three towns are within miles of each other on the same stretch of US301 in north central Florida; all within a 20 mile drive.

Sheriffbubba: Thank you for what you do. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, there are a few bad apples in just about any profession that ruin it for everyone else. Even in our own small county in North Florida, back in 1993, the local sheriff was put in jail for 16 years for "conspiracy to distribute cocaine and marijuana." Instead of destroying drugs seized, they gave it to a local farmer to sell. Please keep keeping/putting the bad ones out, and be safe.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
Mike and others, I really appreciate the support that you have expressed toward law enforcement officers... No matter what some think, being a cop is not like what people see on tv. It is hard dangerous work that the vast majority of society would not want anything to do with.

To the OP: I am sorry that I hijacked your original speed trap related thread... It was not my intention.

Some people will never change their minds about what they think about law enforcement or cops no matter what is presented to them, and that's ok. However I can assure you that the vast majority of us out there are there for the right reasons and want to always do the right things while on the job.
I will get off this thread because it will not do any good for me to try to debate this topic any longer.

I hope everyone has a Great Memorial Day! I will be working my usual 12 hour shift tonight, doing my bet to make sure that the people in my jurisdiction are safe and not victimized by the thugs and criminals that are always among us. (And no cost the tax payers anything extra for me and my officers to work on this holiday.)

Thank you for your time, Brian

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian, I really know in my heart that there are so many more people who support and respect our profession, than those who put us down. They just don't speak out as much as those who think the law doesn't apply to them, as they respect the law and some of these thoughts or remarks made here never enter their mind.

Have a good night, be safe, the Holidays are never fun to work, and remember there are still a lot of supporters still out there. Take Care...Mike
Old 05-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #69

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Simply not true, unless you've written Police Budgets you have no idea how much the revenue from tickets is not "making a fast buck" as the labor alone costs more than the revenue to the City gets in return. Anyone with any type of job is expected to produce something, wouldn't you agree..<snip>
It's funny to me that you say "And cops wonder why they get a bad rap" when they enforce the law, with discretion that is based on information you may have no knowledge of but yet you say "I have the utmost respect for our officers of the law". When do the violators get a bad wrap, when they go to court and the Judge finds them guilty and they are held accountable, which is the bulk of the time, if they received a citation. So I guess in your opinion the Judges deserve a "bad rap" too?
There are thousands of police departments, so maybe you're one of the upstanding model departments that have a conscience. I heard it directly from a cousin's cop mouth, and at least 3 other's in the force directly, so please don't assume you have a clue about my experience. Yes, I suppose they are supposed to "Produce" results when they're out on the roadways waiting to catch speeders, a point we both made. Bottom line is, they're expected to produce tickets.
Little sleepy towns get less travel, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a few get more than a little bit of variety in their life by handing out a lot of tickets.
I also explained that dishing out tickets for less than 5 MPH, is ridiculous, and I stand by that with clear conscience. Maintaining the proper speed is doable, but trying to stay exact.on.the.dot whatever is missed by every single driver represented in this forum, so we don't have to stand on our soap box and infer that we never vary from the letter of the law. NO, I don't blame judges for anything. Yes, I drive the speed limit, but in any given day, someone, somewhere, can catch me with my eyes on the road rather than if I'm a needle mark or 3, over.
And cops that routinely try to enforce the letter rather than catch ricky racer with no regard for anyone's safety? They're within their rights but it doesn't MAKE it right.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #70

I am soooo lucky. I've exceeded the speed limit probably hundreds of times by 1-5 mph, in all states, rural, urban, interstates, everywhere. Even went through more than few speed traps blasting through them at 1-5 mph over. Never got a ticket under these circumstances, never, not once. Just one fellas experience, I know that.
Closed Thread