Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Insurance companies must love dash cams... nice for them in the event of a claim to have/get such a perfect record of their customers' driving habits.
Point taken, but here is where my dash cam helps me. First, if you look at the 4-Wheeler video, you will not see a MPH stamp, but when you look at the RV, video, you do. This is because the "displayed" MPH (actually KM by default, but changeable to MPH with an $8 firmware hack) can be turned on/off, so I don't display it in the 4-Wheeler, but do turn it on when traveling in the MH since I am far less likely to "fracture" the speed limit. While the replayed video on the dash cam's native application will show the location and speed, that can also be defeated because it is stored in a secondary text type data file that is stored with each video segment. IOW, I have a choice if I want anyone else to see my "habits" via my location and speed by turning over just the video file (AVI format), or the video file and the companion text file (the MPH stamping can't be defeated ***IF*** you chose to turn it on). Finally, I believe that all dash cams break the video file up into segments because if not, the resulting single video file would be so large, it would probably crash most computers. My system breaks the files up into 1 minute segments. I am not saying that I am a crazy speed demon, in real life I'm a retired DC police officer, but I am saying that I have some control over my privacy. I am also including a still shot of the video being replayed on its own application just so you can see how the Google Maps screen is also displayed. The graphed line at the very bottom is actually the camera's shock sensor, and the larger spikes are the expansion joints on the bridge.

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
... but the LEOs are much more attuned to the "swoop and smash" scam here where another vehicle will swoop in front of you and intentionally brake as hard as possible to incite a collision and then claim bodily injury to all the passengers in the vehicle that was struck.....
My bad - blame it on the Old Timer's disease. It's the "swoop and squat" scam if anyone wants to Google it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Nice camera, excellent video quality. What brand? I think I want to invest a little coin. I ordered one and when it arrive it was really cheap, never made it to my rig.
I bought the one that was discussed in the Dash Cam thread referenced previously. I am sure that it is no longer available. Those devices improve and change quickly.

Here is a link to the eBay listing which will take you to the seller and their eBay store where I am sure you will find some current models.

HD720P Vehicle Car Camera Mini Dash Cam Road Recorder | eBay

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a great idea, but can these dash cam videos actually be introduced as evidence in a court of law? Anyone here actually ever do that?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #33
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Ouch, hope everyone was OK.

I would be curious who was at fault. So many of us have been cut off by people in smaller vehicles, just to have them stomp on the brakes.
This is why I've decided to install and run a dash cam.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Sounds like a great idea, but can these dash cam videos actually be introduced as evidence in a court of law? Anyone here actually ever do that?
Recovering crime videos was one of my duties prior to retiring from the DC Police. Of all the video cases that I was summoned on, I only had to testify one time. In most of the cases, once the perp found out they were on video, they would take a plea for less time. The point that has to be made is that the video was not edited. Civil law (accidents) if FAR less demanding that criminal law.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #35

I read recently that several states have adopted new laws regarding rear end collisions that now are ticketing the front vehicle.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I read recently that several states have adopted new laws regarding rear end collisions that now are ticketing the front vehicle.
I'd like to read about that- no luck searching, though I admit to being a bit at a loss as to what search terms to use...

I can't find any legislation at all about rear end collisions.

Can you be more specific?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #37

I found this on the web:

It has been said by attorneys, who, in my opinion are only after your money, that no matter what the circumstances, the person who crashes into the rear of a car is always at fault. This is not true.

A typical scenario of when it is not your fault is when a car is backing up out of a parking space, driveway or is backing down the street and you come along and hit into the rear of that car, the other driver is at fault for"improper or unsafe backing".

Another scenario when it is not your fault for hitting some from behind is, when a car pulls out of a driveway into oncoming traffic making a right or left turn and pulls in front of you causing you to collide into the rear of him, the other car is at fault for, "merging unsafely or entering traffic from a street, private driveway or alleyway".

A trickier scenario, which requires proof from a third source, is when someone slams on their breaks to avoid hitting a person, or avoid an accident, avoid hitting an animal or for no reason at all, and is hit from behind. In this case, it could be deemed your fault for "following to close" but there could be partial fault on the other car for, "Stopping in a roadway".

The last scenario when it could not be your fault although requires proof from a third source, is when someone slams on their brakes in a road rage situation and causes you to hit them from behind. If this occurs, that person, who slammed on their brakes, could be arrested for, "assault with a deadly weapon".

Conclusion

Rear end collisions are common, and in most cases the Police and insurance companies will find no fault to the person being hit from behind and deem the person who rear ended the car, at fault. However, the fact of the matter is, there are scenarios where it is not your fault or at the least a partial fault but the burden of proof is in your hands in those situations.

So, could that "third source" be a dash cam?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #38

So do these dash cams record in a loop? Recording over old data as memory becomes full?

I truly believe as part of drivers education each student should get behind the wheel of a large vehicle and attempt to make a quick stop or lane change to experience what it take to maneuver a big rig. People just have no clue when they cut off a semi how close they come to killing themselves.
then show them a few crash pictures of semi vs compact car.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
It must be assumed that all crashes in rear enders are your fault if you are the rear crashing vehicle. So why not back off more than you usually do? Might save you a trip to the repair factory. Don't worry about someone crowding in the blank spot, he can have it, you just want a cushion from crashing into forward vehicles.
I just want to know why they think my leaving a safe stopping distance is somehow an invitation for them to pull in front. I'm believing it's a kindergarten issue, as in they never went and learned the basics!
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #40

In my city, if you leave a safe following distance ahead of you, you can BET the guy behind will pass you and cut in front. Everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post
I just want to know why they think my leaving a safe stopping distance is somehow an invitation for them to pull in front. I'm believing it's a kindergarten issue, as in they never went and learned the basics!
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
In my city, if you leave a safe following distance ahead of you, you can BET the guy behind will pass you and cut in front. Everytime.
This is so commonplace that I actually make a game of guessing which vehicle will swoop into the "hole" I let open up in front of me. It's funny how easy it is to pick out the likely vehicle...and guessing how big the hole will get before something gets sucked into it is amusing, too.

People are so funny about the temptation of that nice little open area that I know that I can "make" someone move into it. Sorta gives me a sense that I'm controlling the airspace in front of me!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
It must be assumed that all crashes in rear enders are your fault if you are the rear crashing vehicle.
Not here in WA state. It is illegal to apply you brakes for no reason. In other words you can't do a "brake check" just because you think someone is too close to you, nor can someone cut in front of you and slam on the brakes if there is nothing in front of them.
It's not new here, the law has been that way for years now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote