Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #43

Proving any of that means you'd better have a dash cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not here in WA state. It is illegal to apply you brakes for no reason. In other words you can't do a "brake check" just because you think someone is too close to you, nor can someone cut in front of you and slam on the brakes if there is nothing in front of them.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of course my main reason for installing a dash cam was insurance reasons for the vehicles that pull in front of me and then, for whatever reason legitimate or not, slam on their brakes.

I did have one near incident prior to installing the dash cam that was the final straw. I was at a stop light behind another vehicle on a two lane city street waiting to turn right onto a four lane road with a 25 mph speed limit. The light turned green and the vehicle in front of me proceeded straight through the intersection. I started pulling forward and since I knew I was going to have to swing wide to get the coach and toad around the corner, I was pretty much concentrating on my right side. Just before I was completely in the intersection I glanced to my left and was shocked to see a car entering the intersection of the road I was turning onto moving at what I believe was the speed limit (25 mph). Luckily I was able to stop in time as they came flying through the intersection. It was an older couple, and obviously, I just don't think the driver even saw the light.

Had there been impact they probably would have hit me at or close to my LF wheel. Of course I have no way of knowing how serious the consequences would have been, but I think it's safe to say they certainly would have received the worst of it.

That incident got me to thinking about what kind of a legal mess I might be involved in if there was an actual accident, and there were no other witnesses to come forward to testify as to the state of the traffic light. The other driver, or his family, could claim that he had a green light, and I was turning on a red light, and was therefore at fault. Who knows what might happen in a jury trial, particularly with most people thinking that RV owners have deep pockets.

A dash camera in the conditions I described above probably would not have been able to record the point of impact, but it would have clearly shown that I had a green light.

As to the argument that a dash cam can be a double edged sword, I understand that, and except the possible consequences. I received some excellent defensive driving training when I drove for UPS for a couple of years before going to college, that I still use to this day. I have been driving for over 50 years without an accident of any kind, chargeable or not. So, knock on wood, I hope that will continue as long as I am physically and mentally able to continue driving.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Dash cams are a standard accessory in Russia -
why do you think utube has so many horrendous crashes always posted from there
Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
So do these dash cams record in a loop? Recording over old data as memory becomes full?

Depends on the model but in the ones I am looking into they run a regular loop and then they also have accelerometers that will record into a separate file, like onto an SD card, 1 minute before to 1 minute after any sudden slow down or acceleration. They also might have an on-demand button to do the same thing depending on the model.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #47

Three rigs running together up from ark to mo, back roads were fine hit hy 65 and three different yoyos pulled out from stop signs on 55 mph roads and then drove 20 mph for a mile or two. We were running about 45 or so. So i guess they were sure they had lots of time to get in front of us. Just not smart enough to know we dont stop on a dime and get the H out of the way.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wonder if you could set up on of those multi camera systems, like the ones they sell at Costco, to record 360deg around your rig.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I wonder if you could set up on of those multi camera systems, like the ones they sell at Costco, to record 360deg around your rig.
Anything is possible. Its just a matter of how much $ your willing to spend. My concern with those cameras would be the low hanging branches I encounter at many campgrounds. But for some more money sure you could get some protective housings made.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I would think that those types of cameras are not 12 VDC cameras and would need 120 AC to work.

My coach had no cameras whatsoever. I installed a high quality dash cam a couple of years back and plug it in before I leave on the days drive. I unplug it at the end of the day when I get parked. Once the 32GB SD card is full, it records over what was there previously. The 32GB card will record over 8 hours of driving which I have never done in one day.

I have recently replaced my two Velvac mirror's with new Ramco triple head remote mirror's that have both the LED turn signals and cameras in one of the glass pieces. I also have installed four cameras on my Pace Cargo trailer that allow me to see 180 degrees around the trailer. Three are on the outside and one on the inside watching my cargo.

I have all of the cameras feeding into a 12 VDC powered DVR which has a 2 TB hard drive that records everything while the cameras are powered up. I can access that data anytime when needed to verify an event.

Everything runs on 12 VDC power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have recently replaced my two Velvac mirror's with new Ramco triple head remote mirror's that have both the LED turn signals and cameras in one of the glass pieces.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
I think these newer mirrors with the integrated cameras are nice, but what scares me is that if you have one boo-boo with the mirror... especially the right, you have absolutely no view of that side until the fix. With the older systems, you still have the body mounted camera (if you have that option).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #52

Freightliner Owners Club
I like the idea of a dash cam, found one on Amazon , should have it Tuesday.
I think it would really be nice to have if someone cut you off or even at a cross walk by the beach- you just never know.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #53

I wish I had one in my Rv about two years a go when an older man try to beat to the toll buth in New Jersey and he swiped he's car on my right front bumper, I was towing a 18 foot trailer and my Rv is 40 so almost 60 feet lond and this happened about 25 feet before entering the really tight toll buth and he told the state trooper that came out that I switched into he's lane, I told the trooper " just look how long I am there is no way I could switch lanes this close to the toll buth other ways I would hit the buth and the concrete around it" and the trooper toke is word over mine, you know that Feeling that you know that person is Lying to your face and there an officer right next to you and can't do a thing other then saying that he's lying. I wish I had a camera or two that day. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
I let my DW know that I ordered it- she agreed a good idea and that we could also use it to see how the dogs behave when we are gone, I thought it might be fun to see what happens around the campsite when we are gone..
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
I let my DW know that I ordered it- she agreed a good idea and that we could also use it to see how the dogs behave when we are gone, I thought it might be fun to see what happens around the campsite when we are gone..
SOLD ME ON THAT ALONE! LOL Gotta get one now.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #56

We just drove through Atlanta, again.

I ordered a dash camera last night. To many close calls and I don't want to be blamed for others actions.