Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

Rv Accident Tamiami trail east of naples

Saw two nice class A's involved in an accident this morning on Tamiami Trail about 15 miles east of Naples. It looked like a red pickup squeezed between them while passing to avoid oncoming traffic. It looked like the front RV braked to let the truck in just as the truck "chickened" out and moved between the two RV's then the following RV rear ended the truck compacting it between the front class a and the following class a.

Surprisingly there appeared to be only Minor damage to both coaches but the truck was bent in a U. I bet minor on a Newmar or whatever it was is still $25K!

I hope if your members here your all safe and secure by now. Must have been quite the pucker factor involved!

B safe out there!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh there will be plenty of damage !

Fibreglass does'nt like touching metal.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Two shiny full metal paint coaches with a bent up red Ford 150 squeezed between them :(

60 MPH area and the following RV was pulling a car on a tow dolly. When I arrived the toad was removed from the dolly but the RV's were still in place with bent up ford between them. I wonder how many RV to RV accidents like this happen?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Oh there will be plenty of damage !

Fibreglass does'nt like touching metal.
For sure. As my insurance adjuster told me when I scraped a bridge with the Vesta, "it's not like fixing a Honda". Minor cosmetic damage cost about 13k.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
For sure. As my insurance adjuster told me when I scraped a bridge with the Vesta, "it's not like fixing a Honda". Minor cosmetic damage cost about 13k.
Yep. I "scraped a bridge" with my 40DP going on to Cape Cod. Put a nice 40' long scrape down the side but got away for $6K.

I was craning my neck to see a big barge passing underneath. It's true what they say about the rig goes where your eyes go. Just took a second.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

I have seen the situation Richard described. Happens too frequently. Another popular one is pulling out to pass without doing a mirror and shoulder check, I had a gravel truck and pup pull that one on me.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tamiami Trail is around Ft. Myers/Naples is bad to drive in a car. Traffic is usually pretty bad and folks seem to think these motorhomes are VW Beetles. We drive this area for several weeks during the Winter season, but we are usually in the tow vehicle.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #8

This particular portion is the long road running between Miami and Naples. Its a great road to take if going from the Florida west coast to the East coast especially the keys etc.. Great scenic vistas and old swamp growth, lots of old cypress groves with mossy limbs.. just beautiful!

Just remember to look in front of you for the HUGE motor home
Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
This particular portion is the long road running between Miami and Naples. Its a great road to take if going from the Florida west coast to the East coast especially the keys etc.. Great scenic vistas and old swamp growth, lots of old cypress groves with mossy limbs.. just beautiful!

Just remember to look in front of you for the HUGE motor home
Really ... REALLY !!! ... let the passengers watch for gators ... REALLY !!!