RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #127

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
NOTE: I know this a futile post, but wanted to express my opinion anyway

I recently read the article about campgrounds that restrict usage if your RV is over a certain age. I also read the comments and complaints the readers sent in as well as many on this forum.

Folks, and this isn't meant to belittle anyone, do you REALLY think the campgrounds care that you aren't going to use their campground? They have already said they don't want you. For you to say "they aren't getting my business" is like a double negative, it is exactly what they want.

With the huge number of RV'ers out there (most foolishly buying new units) and the crowding of campgrounds to the point that in some areas a six month reservation is required, does anyone REALLY think anything is going to change? By avoiding these campgrounds, you are playing into their hands and causing yourself unneeded stress by complaining to them. Honestly, complaining doesn't work very often, unless EVERYONE, including those with new RV's avoid the campground and let them know why. The pocket book is where the real action is, as long as they are continually full during peak months, owners could care less if you go somewhere else.

A perfect example is the trash the RV builders are putting out, the unethical sales people in the trade, and the impossibility of getting warranty work done. Owners have complained for DECADES about it, and what has it accomplished? Nothing. As long as people are buying new RV's against the advice of the old timers, nothing, nothing at all is going to change. It was the same with the auto and motorcycle industries. As long as they could sell all they could make, they kept turning out junk. It wasn't until quality competition came along (Japanese) did any change occur. It is the same with every industry, RV included.

So, instead of wearing yourself out complaining, boycott. Tell your friends the horror stories of new RV's and encourage them to buy quality used. They avoid the depreciation hit, and know the problems. Most would have been fixed, those that haven't, well, no different from a new one but lots cheaper. When sales fall, and it has to be drastically, then perhaps changes will be made. And when the majority of RV's become older, THEN and only then, will campground owners change their story and realize they are a service industry. But I understand that isn't going to happen....
like sheep to slaughter, the line forms here for new RV purchasers.

So, instead of complaining about the parks, relax, find a nice comfortable one where you're not required to take the EGO trip with a new RV, set up, relax, and buy something nice for yourself with the money you save.

Jeff Houseless Not Homeless
2001 Holiday Rambler Admiral
I know what you mean I had a2001 Winnebago called a rv park they asked what does it look like I said a motorhome,they hung up. But as as far as dealers go the best I found is Triam Rv in Ocala.they where great I bought a two year old cameo 39 ft . First they showed me everything about the unit second stayed on and they fixed ever little detail no charge. Would recommend them see Tracy they still call me and asked how’s it going . Haven’t had personal service like that in years.

marvinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinjb View Post
I know what you mean I had a2001 Winnebago called a rv park they asked what does it look like I said a motorhome,they hung up.
LOL ROFLMAO! Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer!

Fuzzypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #129

RV age restricted

You must not be a very happy person. You find people who buy anything new to be foolish. You find distrust in what would seem anyone who sells cars, RV’s and I would guess anything else. Everything you own, except something you personally built and that might also be included in this next statement is because someone sold something to a business and you purchased it through a salesperson, either the owner through indirect contact or a sales associate through direct contact.
To (I guess this is your intention) encourage someone to not buy a “new” RV I believe is foolish. If everyone only bought used RV’s then there would be a lot of people out of work, manufacturing plants would shut down sales and service staff would be out of work etc. Regarding those campgrounds that prohibit RV’s beyond a certain age I agree if that bothers you then don’t go, however; it has been my observation that those locations that allows “older” units are usually not very well kept, in fact I wrote a post on one such place that the units were actually in disrepair awnings hanging loose, MH’s on blocks, the whole campground was a reflection of the units they allowed to stay either long term or short term, the bath house were filthy the list could go on, but for me I would rather stay in a campground that is clean and enjoyable.
Viperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #130

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperone View Post
You must not be a very happy person. You find people who buy anything new to be foolish. You find distrust in what would seem anyone who sells cars, RV’s and I would guess anything else. Everything you own, except something you personally built and that might also be included in this next statement is because someone sold something to a business and you purchased it through a salesperson, either the owner through indirect contact or a sales associate through direct contact.
To (I guess this is your intention) encourage someone to not buy a “new” RV I believe is foolish. If everyone only bought used RV’s then there would be a lot of people out of work, manufacturing plants would shut down sales and service staff would be out of work etc. Regarding those campgrounds that prohibit RV’s beyond a certain age I agree if that bothers you then don’t go, however; it has been my observation that those locations that allows “older” units are usually not very well kept, in fact I wrote a post on one such place that the units were actually in disrepair awnings hanging loose, MH’s on blocks, the whole campground was a reflection of the units they allowed to stay either long term or short term, the bath house were filthy the list could' go on, but for me I would rather stay in a campground that is clean and enjoyable.
'
We all understand how capitalism works. However some parks are getting ridiculous with their rules. One local park was getting bad reviews because of a real snooty manager. Not all of us like to stay in parks like that. We'd rather boondock than put up with a snooty manager or unreasonable rules. In fact, we are looking to go to Slab City this winter. Slab City is the antitheses to a snooty park.
Fuzzypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzypeach View Post
'
We all understand how capitalism works. However some parks are getting ridiculous with their rules. One local park was getting bad reviews because of a real snooty manager. Not all of us like to stay in parks like that. We'd rather boondock than put up with a snooty manager or unreasonable rules. In fact, we are looking to go to Slab City this winter. Slab City is the antitheses to a snooty park.
Great! Take along friends. That opens sites for those that enjoy them!
Captn John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #132

Monaco Owners Club
We've stayed in an age restricted park in Michigan awhile ago. Our rig is perpetually 10 years old. I get why the parks want nice looking rigs, but it's hard to deal with when the stationary rigs look like poop. But it's really not the where can I put my old faithful rig, to me it's more the lack of "camper courtesy" that has really gone away... but that's another thread for another day.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
We've stayed in an age restricted park in Michigan awhile ago. Our rig is perpetually 10 years old. I get why the parks want nice looking rigs, but it's hard to deal with when the stationary rigs look like poop. But it's really not the where can I put my old faithful rig, to me it's more the lack of "camper courtesy" that has really gone away... but that's another thread for another day.
One that talks about the lack of "camper courtesy" but feels ok to lie about the age of his rig! Throwing stones from a glass house.
Captn John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 AM   #134

Boondoggling might be the answer! The absolute best experiences we have had resulted from finding a random wide spot or pull in behind a business closed for the weekend...Parking by a river, lake or hill top... One such time we woke up to millions of Blue Flax as far as the eye can see...we left Yellowstone late...passed through the east gate into Shoshone at dark...pulled off on wide gravel at the bottom of the hill...Woke up, threw back the curtains and WOW...all those wild flowers following the river...looked like someone forgot to turn off the Black Light all morning. That was 3 years ago and we still talk about it...spent 2 ½ hours taking pictures & enjoying our surprise from the Creator and hated to leave but we moved on...Boondoggling is the final frontier. Go ahead, spend your money & get caught up on all the campground gossip & that one guy from "Who Cares WyuStopped," & spend your day listening to people who only want to tell you about themselves & the things they bought, what the want to buy & wont stop talking...Been there..Done that..too many times... Just observant, that's all. Boondoggling!
Old 06-19-2019, 01:11 AM   #135

Great story! Glad you took them to task! Thanks for putting it out there! If everyone would do that...it just might send the message....

Tags
campground