Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #71

Sucks dont it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why any business would intentionally want to limit any potential customers and thereby reducing their income.

Look what happened to a few businesses, bakeries I believe, in the last 2 - 3 years that started refusing to sell to certain customers. Yes, the courts affirmed their right to refuse service as they saw fit, but after all the negative publicity if I remember correctly each business folded or has suffered financially because nearly all their former or potential new customers refused to support those businesses. Just to make it clear to everyone, I'm not trying to make any political statements with this paragraph, only to show what can happen if a business owners decides to willfully exclude certain customers.

I, for one, would not knowingly patronize any campground that chooses to exclude campers over something as trivial as the age of their camper.
I found the reactions to this post interesting. akeagle made a great observation that goes beyond the frustration of those with older rigs.
While most people were understanding of the frustration of the original person on this thread , others seemed so angry that they would be excluded.
This is a prime example of the difference between Prejudice & Discrimination While most places will waive the ten year rule when you show that your coach is well maintained and will not change the character of their campground ( discrimination). Others will make assumptions about your coach, and you, based on the age of the RV. And without any other knowledge, forbid you from staying at their campground/resort (prejudice).

Being judged based on arbitrary guidelines sucks ……. dont it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #72

Interestingly Enough . . .

Among other upgrades I'm having my 1997 / 98 Tropi-Cal redone outside as well as having new carpet and seats inside. The palm trees and Tropi-Cal decals have gone bye-bye to be replaced with a Wolf head in the rear and two side panel Eagles. I've also repainted most of it and redid the roof. Gonna be fun to try and get into a restricted campsite. If the situation arises I intend to give it a shot based on looks.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #73

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
Who cares anyway??? No SNIVELING here. Get over it. 😎
Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by apopj View Post
NOTE: I know this a futile post, but wanted to express my opinion anyway

I recently read the article about campgrounds that restrict usage if your RV is over a certain age. I also read the comments and complaints the readers sent in as well as many on this forum.

Folks, and this isn't meant to belittle anyone, do you REALLY think the campgrounds care that you aren't going to use their campground? They have already said they don't want you. For you to say "they aren't getting my business" is like a double negative, it is exactly what they want.

With the huge number of RV'ers out there (most foolishly buying new units) and the crowding of campgrounds to the point that in some areas a six month reservation is required, does anyone REALLY think anything is going to change? By avoiding these campgrounds, you are playing into their hands and causing yourself unneeded stress by complaining to them. Honestly, complaining doesn't work very often, unless EVERYONE, including those with new RV's avoid the campground and let them know why. The pocket book is where the real action is, as long as they are continually full during peak months, owners could care less if you go somewhere else.

A perfect example is the trash the RV builders are putting out, the unethical sales people in the trade, and the impossibility of getting warranty work done. Owners have complained for DECADES about it, and what has it accomplished? Nothing. As long as people are buying new RV's against the advice of the old timers, nothing, nothing at all is going to change. It was the same with the auto and motorcycle industries. As long as they could sell all they could make, they kept turning out junk. It wasn't until quality competition came along (Japanese) did any change occur. It is the same with every industry, RV included.

So, instead of wearing yourself out complaining, boycott. Tell your friends the horror stories of new RV's and encourage them to buy quality used. They avoid the depreciation hit, and know the problems. Most would have been fixed, those that haven't, well, no different from a new one but lots cheaper. When sales fall, and it has to be drastically, then perhaps changes will be made. And when the majority of RV's become older, THEN and only then, will campground owners change their story and realize they are a service industry. But I understand that isn't going to happen....
like sheep to slaughter, the line forms here for new RV purchasers.

So, instead of complaining about the parks, relax, find a nice comfortable one where you're not required to take the EGO trip with a new RV, set up, relax, and buy something nice for yourself with the money you save.

Jeff Houseless Not Homeless
2001 Holiday Rambler Admiral

We did buy a quality used motor home....in excellent condition. Even when entering a park that states 10 year old RVs...we have never been rejected. Our coach is a 2002 Monaco, Windsor...again in excellent condition.
The purpose of the above mentioned restrictions are equal to homeowners CC&Rs to help to keep the area from becoming slum like.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #75

National RV Owners Club
Location: Beginning Full Timing from Katy, TX, but I'm from Portland, OR
10 years or newer?

While, generally, I agree, there are areas where this discrimination is a problem, at least for me.

I'm from Portland, Oregon. Most of my family, including my 3 sons and grandson, brother & sister, along with a bunch of cousins, live there. There are no RV parks within reasonable distance from my family that allows RVs more than 10 years old. The only exception is a park on the Columbia River at the I-5 bridge that crosses to Vancouver, WA. I have stayed there, but it is very in-convenient to anyplace I want to go, not to mention the high traffic since it's only accessible from I-5 and the traffic going/coming from Vancouver. Other than that, the closest is about 50 miles away in Hood River, OR

I've often driven by a few of those parks along Marine Drive and I've never seen them any where near full (off season, Oct-March). If they can afford to have a half-empty or worse park during that time, they must be over-charging the folks who's RV is new enough to make the grade.
mmccray100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #76

National RV Owners Club
Location: Beginning Full Timing from Katy, TX, but I'm from Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I guess it was wrong of me to buy a new, problem-free, Grand Design Solitude.
But I sure like it.
Wish I could afford to buy a newer coach, but I can't. A lot of RVers can't afford to buy an $80K truck to pull an $80K 5th wheel, so I don't appreciated the smug comments.
mmccray100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
I seldom stay at Campgrounds because I refuse to stay at a campground that'll accept me and my rig! If they'll accept me God knows what other kind of riff raff they'll accept!!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Talking 9 years old and holding

Quote:

I recently read the article about campgrounds that restrict usage if your RV is over a certain age. I also read the comments and complaints the readers sent in as well as many on this forum.

Folks, and this isn't meant to belittle anyone, do you REALLY think the campgrounds care that you aren't going to use their campground? They have already said they don't want you. For you to say "they aren't getting my business" is like a double negative, it is exactly what they want.

With the huge number of RV'ers out there (most foolishly buying new units) and the crowding of campgrounds to the point that in some areas a six month reservation is required, does anyone REALLY think anything is going to change? By avoiding these campgrounds, you are playing into their hands and causing yourself unneeded stress by complaining to them. Honestly, complaining doesn't work very often, unless EVERYONE, including those with new RV's avoid the campground and let them know why. The pocket book is where the real action is, as long as they are continually full during peak months, owners could care less if you go somewhere else.

A perfect example is the trash the RV builders are putting out, the unethical sales people in the trade, and the impossibility of getting warranty work done. Owners have complained for DECADES about it, and what has it accomplished? Nothing. As long as people are buying new RV's against the advice of the old timers, nothing, nothing at all is going to change. It was the same with the auto and motorcycle industries. As long as they could sell all they could make, they kept turning out junk. It wasn't until quality competition came along (Japanese) did any change occur. It is the same with every industry, RV included.

So, instead of wearing yourself out complaining, boycott. Tell your friends the horror stories of new RV's and encourage them to buy quality used. They avoid the depreciation hit, and know the problems. Most would have been fixed, those that haven't, well, no different from a new one but lots cheaper. When sales fall, and it has to be drastically, then perhaps changes will be made. And when the majority of RV's become older, THEN and only then, will campground owners change their story and realize they are a service industry. But I understand that isn't going to happen....

So, instead of complaining about the parks, relax, find a nice comfortable one where you're not required to take the EGO trip with a new RV, set up, relax, and buy something nice for yourself with the money you save.

I have stayed in those places and when asked how old my RV was I just said a number under 10 and never had a problem. My coach was a 2004 Journey that looked just fine. No one ever challenged me.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
Not sure the point of your rant. You jump from around. Near as I can tell, you don’t like purchasing new RV’s or you don’t want anyone else purchasing a new RV. You don’t like the way, some, all, any, RV’s are built or they don’t meet your standard. You don’t like the way privately owned campgrounds are run. And finally you don’t like the fact that there are other folks using their newly purchased RV’s competing with you for space at campgrounds, that are age restricted,
I agree. Doesn't like to be judged but judges everyone who doesn"t think like him. Bitter guy.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #80

If I had the time and skills, I would buy a 1970's vintage AirStream and rebuild it. However, I bought a 2011 Keystone Alpine, which I just replace with a 2019 Jayco NorthPoint, which I agree are pretty much like disposable lighters.

Your post nailed it.
JETAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #81

Sounds Like a Lot of Work!

Quote:

Jeff, that sounds like a lot of work. We bought a new RV because: 1) it was a good deal and 2) the earlier models didn't have all the features we wanted (side deck, full-sized bathtub, second bathroom and a long enough garage. It didn't have anything to do with ego. As for complaining, I have found that it's best not to complain when you're trying to get someone to do something for you, so I would agree that's a waste of time.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #82

Never paid much attention to that rule as I trade every 3 - 4 years anyway. Last month I bought a new Montana 5er and yesterday ordered a new dually. We are not full timers but 'a lot of' timers. I've been in places with that rule and the only junkers ever seen are the ones that have been there for years, maybe decades. Many of those will not, could not move without falling apart.
I do prefer over 55 CGs when available and do not travel June through August most years, this year an August trip is planned though.
There is one CG I refuse to stop at in AL. No units over 10, no exceptions. No units under 26' or 28' (Bye class B), no TTs. Basically they only want Class A and C plus 5ers. Beautiful CG with great sites. Too snotty for me.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #83

Meee. Owwwww!!!!!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #84

One very valid point made here is that just because you have a warranty, it doesn't mean you won't be screwed if something fails. Picture yourself hundreds or thousands of miles from the factory where you picked up your RV - something major breaks. You're probably screwed although righteous with indignation. Like when I called Coach Net for road side service after hitting a curb with my right rear tire destroying the tire. I called Coach Net and they said "since you hit a curb you are not covered." Last time with Good Sam I had my motorcycle blow over in a micro burst and they said that was "an act of god" so not covered. I'm going to self insure for roadside assistance in the future. Manufacturer's warranties are generally null and void if you can't get back to the factory or purchasing dealer. Kind of kills the whole idea of enjoying the open road.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground