Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

RV Air Pressure Tires (Dolphin 34lx) 19,800#

The actual weight is 19,800# with a full tank of fuel, 1/2 full on the propane, clean water empty, black tank empty, gray tank 20%. We could add about 500# of other stuff in the storage bays if we try.

I have 22.5 Mich tires 235/80 and the air pressure guide shows me running way below the 110# max. More like 80#. What do you guys think?
The chassis has a 22,000# Max

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You need to know, at the minimum, the front and rear axle weights. 4 corner weights would be better. Barring that, you must run the max the RV manufacturer recommends on the PSI placecard.. This will not be the same as the TIRE's max PSI, but what the RV Manufacturer determined is safe for your MAX RV weight..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHB View Post
The actual weight is 19,800# with a full tank of fuel, 1/2 full on the propane, clean water empty, black tank empty, gray tank 20%. We could add about 500# of other stuff in the storage bays if we try.

I have 22.5 Mich tires 235/80 and the air pressure guide shows me running way below the 110# max. More like 80#. What do you guys think?
The chassis has a 22,000# Max
Last year we had our coach 4-corner weighed and were surprised to find that the tire pressure recommendations were also far below the 110# max. I can't recall exactly the PSI we run for the Bounder, but somewhere in the 90's I believe.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

The coach sticker says 90 PSI. It you do the full load calculaiton of 22000# (15,000# Rear Front 7,000#) the Mich Chart per tire weight comes in closer to 80#.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

I run 95 front, 90 rear on our 35' Dolphin. I have weighed it by axle fully loaded, and those pressures give me plenty of capacity while still giving a decent ride and handling.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin chart shows single (front) axle at 7000# (3500/side) needs 75#, rear axle dual requires 90psi for 7500/side (15K). These are minimums, you can adjust pressure to improve ride and handling. (stay above the minimums).
My 22.5 Goodyears at 5-10 psi above chart mimimum totally eliminates any sway or wallow. Several posts here recommend slightly above chart pressure to allow for slight pressure change or slow leak. Manufacturers state that 20% below recommended is considered a "run flat" event.
Until you get a least individual axle or wheel weights, Midniteoyl has correct info...

enjoy...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information. I am new to this and never knew it was so hard to figure out tire pressure. I never had to weight a car to put the right tire pressure or for that matter my boat trailer tires. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have 95 front and 90 rear on my Dolphin. Before I have the tires replaced, had the MH weighed at the four corners and I was running at 90 front and 85 in the rear - per the Michelin load chart and what my weight was.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
If you would like to know what your veryest weights are for each axle there is a listing on the side wall of where the driver sits, you might want to take a look at that it may clear up some things that you are concerned with.
Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
If you would like to know what your veryest weights are for each axle there is a listing on the side wall of where the driver sits, you might want to take a look at that it may clear up some things that you are concerned with.
Just a thought.
Not really, the pressures given there are for the original size/brand tires when fully loaded.
If any of that has changed then the only accurate way is to weigh the rig, all four "corners" is best, then use the weight/pressure charts for that brand/model and size of tire.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, tires