Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #1

Anybody useing one, what type and are you happy with it. Found a system that looks good, just wondered what others are useing.

Terry
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #2

Anybody useing one, what type and are you happy with it. Found a system that looks good, just wondered what others are useing.

Terry
Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #3

I just bought my first mo-ho and that sounds like a good idea! Haven't seen any thing about this in the forums.

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 AM   #4

To; Alarmguy,

Currently own an 02 diesel pusher. This is the 2nd coach I've had alarms installed before I took delivery. I used auto alarm dealers closest to dealer so alarm could be installed at dealership.

In both coaches , I used a Viper alarm, with arming switches installed on entrance door, 1, if you have a driver's door ,you would put switch on that also , also switch installed on rear engine cover door, outside. This protects and sets alarm off if door or cover is opened while alarm is on. After installing above mentioned system in my 2000 coach I asked myself, this is fine if someone opens a door ,but what happens if they break or open a window to get in; Alarm won't go off. After doing some research, I picked up a motion sensor at Radio Shack that would work with 12 volt and had alarm company install it on frame, near ceiling, on front tv, with some adjustments ,the sensor picks up any motion inside coach and goes off. Sensor is sensitive and if someone broke the rear bedroom window, as soon as they step into passage way from bedroom toward the alarm goes off. By the way, I also had the alarm company install a 2nd siren inside the motorhome in addition to the one outside. Believe me, the sound will drive anyone out of coach before it can be located. I found this out firsthand, many times, when I forgot alarm was on, so be warned.
The Viper comes wih 2 remotes, I carry one , my wife the other, so the alarm goes off because you didn't know the other person set the alarm,so we always carry remotes with us when out of coach, most of the time.

Hope this info helps----- AJBJRVERS
Old 12-15-2005, 03:20 AM   #5

To; Alarmguy,

Currently own an 02 diesel pusher. This is the 2nd coach I've had alarms installed before I took delivery. I used auto alarm dealers closest to dealer so alarm could be installed at dealership.

In both coaches , I used a Viper alarm, with arming switches installed on entran
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #6

On our trailer, I installed a cheap remote-based alarm system. I have a pin on the entry door and the tipout. Nice and simple. If I ever get around to it, I'll throw a pin on the main outside storage bay.

A motion sensor. Hmmm, I think I'll add that to the list.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #7

OK here is the deal on this system. It is a system that was designed to be portable for use in places like construction sites. It uses wireless sensors(all types, 16 zones) and communicates with a monitoring site via a cell data transceiver, transmitting the alarm in 6/10 of a second.

Because of its portability and wireless sensors and the fact that it is monitored via cell telemetry (uses any cell tower to transmit data) it is an ideal candidate for use in RVs.

The monitoring site can be instructed to call your cell phone if an alarm is received. As most local Police and Fire departments require an alarm license before they will respond to an alarm reported by a monitoring site, the owner's cell phone is the next best thing, 2 numbers can be in the account so you could actually have them call the park office also.

Sensors available include motion sensors (dual tech) door/window switches, glass break sensors, high or low temp sensors, smoke detectors and power loss sensors. and it can be armed/dis-armed via a key-fob remote control.

As the wireless sensors have up to a 2000 foot range, utilizing them on basement doors, engine doors or front (generator compartment on DPs)compartment is no problem. You can have the alarm be silent in the RV or opt for a horn with strobe light.

It has it covered as far as being a complete system, just don't if enough RVers would be willing to pay the price as most feel they are more secure than they really are.

Terry
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 AM   #8

I have an alarm system hooked to door & all outside bins plus a motion sensor inside that can be turned off if we want to alarm while we are inside. MH is having new springs installed (no airbags) so I don't know the model.....

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #9

Is there any way to use a motion sensor inside if you have a dog that stays in the coach when you are away?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #10

Yup, there are pet-friendly motion sensors. They either look for large moving objects, or have a higher trigger threshold for the bottom part of the zone. Here are two examples: http://www.smarthome.com/73911.html
http://www.lasershield.net/en/manual/4-pets.php

Bruce
Old 01-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #11

We use Brinks for our alarm system (140lb Bullmastiff). So far so good.

Realize this is of no help whatsoever but I couldn't resist. The park rangers all give him bisquits, I think they want to stay on his good side.

Starship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

yeah, I kinda like that kind of alarm too. My alarm is pictured in my Avatar. The only problem is that it only works on strangers. Once he knows you're OK you only get licked to death.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

What is name of device Alarm guy?

Viper system is used alot in autos etc. Alot of wiring needed.
Seashols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I saw a camera system mounted above the door records inside, Wireless.
I feel if they want in they will get in but it will be on flim.Of course you would need to hide the recorder. But how hard is that.$125.00. I am thinking hard about it.
JM,tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote