RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb RV Alert App?

Maybe there is an app for this, maybe Waze?

Over the past 2+ years of us RVing I notice almost every rv heading down the road regardless of what I’m driving at the time.

Today I’m on the interstate with a concrete divider, I see a nice class A headed in the opposite direction with his SAT & broadcast antennas raised/fully extended. I start thinking it would be a good thing if I could contact him somehow.

I thought it would be cool to have a app that when traveling in/with your rv you log on, the dot on the street is you with a brief description of your rv. If you had a problem like I saw today I could open my app and send you a message.

Is there anything like this? I would pay a few dollars to buy a app like this.

Anyone develop this I get a royalty

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Could be an in motion type.

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Could be an in motion type.

Not the broadcast, it was exactly like mine, I have never seen a in motion open face dish, it too looked like my swm dish.

Steve
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

Now you are looking at going full circle, and texting/ apping while driving.

Its a shame that CB's have lost so much popularity, I have heard many drivers get alerted to something wrong, by the CB.

I understand, and applaud the attempt, but not sure an app is a good answer. Yes, we could all say the passenger is going to handle the phone, but we all know the driver will still give lots of his attention to helping get the message through, and pay less attention to the road.

Maybe an app that just sends the message to all RV'ers that subscribe, and are within a set radius. If that is possible. But what is the chance of the other being signed up.

Maybe better to push for RV drivers to monitor a channel, besides 9, or 19, on the CB.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

I was just talking to my DW about how we had a CB when we camped as a family growing up. Everyone did. It allowed us to contact people on the road for whatever reason we wanted. It worked well. In today’s world of cell phones the app could would have to work like a CB with a talk not text function.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Perhaps they just need to be trained to do a walk around before setting out. No apps required.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #7

I wouldn't be looking at my phone to use the app or to read messages.

We never could find people using the CB either.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Couple things: you wouldn't be looking at it ever unless an alarm sounded and that would mean you have a problem, I would like to be alerted.

You then pull over, let your copilot read it, take the next exit, etc. etc. I'm not advocating reading and driving.

I still work, I get text all the time while driving, I either ignore them, pull over, etc. to read or reply to them. It's not hard! Now I even started using a feature where I can speak a text through my radio and it will send it, it reads them to me too..... just started using this, pretty cool.

CB radios; I'm not about to put one in all five of my cars, not in my RV either, the talk is simply trash now, who wants to monitor that. In "the day" CBs where pretty cool way to communicate and listen.

I did carry a HAM radio for a while, never heard a word on either of the simplex calling frequencies (146.520/446.000 Mhz), stopped carrying this too.

Most everyone already has a cell phone, just seemed pretty simple to me.

A walk around is obviously a good thing, but while traveling a bike, ladder, canoe, etc. could become loose, a awning could cause a problem, a unknown malfunction (waived a class A down a year ago, their steps were down, a malfunction), and we will all forget something at some time IMO.

Only a thought....

Steve
Old 11-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Perhaps they just need to be trained to do a walk around before setting out. No apps required.

They are in training right now.

I suspect that they might start doing a walk around from now on, especially if they hit something.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

No thank you, I would not use an app that facilitated strangers sending me messages.

Get a CB if you want real-time communications with nearby vehicles.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Get a CB if you want real-time communications with nearby vehicles.
A CB only works if the other party has a CB tuned to your station.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
No thank you, I would not use an app that facilitated strangers sending me messages.
Understand, but please understand you would only have it on when you wanted. Maybe only when traveling with/in your rv.

Point is how many people have a CB vs. a cell phone. Please my cell will be in any vehicle I ride in, mine, friends, rented, etc.

Steve
Old 11-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #13

The waze app that alerts you to road hazards (and police)does the basic thing. Only issue is it would be hard to say how many people use it. However, when we drive down the road, it alerts us to other users of waze nearby. I think that is the direction the OP is getting at. The only time we have to put anything in is if we are the person reporting the road hazard.

As mentioned there would have to be a way for RV users to know the alert is aimed at them. Not sure how that would be accomplished.

It is an interesting idea though.

katielee
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

I wish Waze had an RV version. If it did the emoji for other Wazers on the road could show an RV and you (your copilot) could send a note to them if needed.

tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote