Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #1

RV and Boat show

Went to the rv and boat show in Grand Island, Ne yesterday. Just browsing and comparing what is new, different from what we have. The hit of the show was the patio feature on the Open Range fifth. Don't know how many takers they had, but there were many interested people. What we want to know is how many places (other than Quartzite) have room for that type of rig?? There is a deeper slideout and then the patio is attached to that. Made for an impressive looking layout, but... We've stayed in some places that really made us question even running the slides out halfway, which btw we won't be staying there again. Has anyone out there seen these fifths? No brochures were available...ran out, so we don't know how deep or wide it was. kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen it in a fiver but I think Country Coach introduced a Class A with a slide out deck a few years back.

I think having room for it to slide out might not be as big a problem as it seems but would sure cut out most of your outside patio area at a typical park.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let's see, I want a slide out that adds weight, might not be workable in some campgrounds, is expensive or....just open my door and walk out side.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Vegasdan,
There are those with mobility impairments to the extent a slide out patio would be welcome. Not everyone can exit and enter the coach with ease. CC did have a coach with a slide out patio. I thought is was very nicely done. Over the next three years I hope the manufacturers become more creative than the two facing couches in every floor plan. In three years we will complete our commitment to the Gkids and might be looking to get a coach more in line with our future needs and mobility capabilities.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Let's see, I want a slide out that adds weight, might not be workable in some campgrounds, is expensive or....just open my door and walk out side.
Yep, I guess that kind of feature would be appealing to some...we just use the patio that's just outside of our entrance door under our main awning - it's HUGE! We sometimes have to use the Jeep to get to some distant area of it. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Vegasdan,
There are those with mobility impairments to the extent a slide out patio would be welcome. Not everyone can exit and enter the coach with ease.
Never thought of the 'patio' from a mobility point...that would be a very good use if manufacturers would design some patios from that viewpoint. I've only seen a few patios and those looked to be designed with gathering or party usage in mind. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #7

Follow up

Just asked DH what he thought the size of the patio was...he thinks it was about 7.5 feet deep and about 12 feet long. This does not include the slide width or depth. I hadn't thought about someone who was mobility challenged, this would be perfect for someone who wanted to be outdoors but couldn't easily navigate the steps or lift to get in and out of the fifth. kkd
kaykaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Vegasdan,
There are those with mobility impairments to the extent a slide out patio would be welcome. Not everyone can exit and enter the coach with ease. CC did have a coach with a slide out patio. I thought is was very nicely done. Over the next three years I hope the manufacturers become more creative than the two facing couches in every floor plan. In three years we will complete our commitment to the Gkids and might be looking to get a coach more in line with our future needs and mobility capabilities.
That would be the only logical reason to get one. I wonder how the access inside is when this is in the travel position?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:

My DW is mobility challenged and it has stopped our RVing dreams. Just 2 years ago, we were both "in perfect health", one day she gets sick, 24 hours later she looses a leg. How fast your world can change.

She lost a leg to diabetes, and is wheel chair bound, has no muscle tone or strength. If a change in level has steps of even an inch high, that stops a wheelchair.

When those of us make "facitious remarks" about not needing a sliding patio, you best start thanking your lucky stars you have not hit the physical impairment part of life. That was a bad remark and unthinking.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
My DW is mobility challenged and it has stopped our RVing dreams. Just 2 years ago, we were both "in perfect health", one day she gets sick, 24 hours later she looses a leg. How fast your world can change.

She lost a leg to diabetes, and is wheel chair bound, has no muscle tone or strength. If a change in level has steps of even an inch high, that stops a wheelchair.

When those of us make "facitious remarks" about not needing a sliding patio, you best start thanking your lucky stars you have not hit the physical impairment part of life. That was a bad remark and unthinking.
Sorry if I affended, it wasn't directed at anyone with a disability. If that had been in the original post, I would not have posted my remark.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy AZgl1500,
I'm in an electric wheelchair and still get around.. The way to use the wheelchair in entering the RV is to use ramps of some sort. Does she use an electric chair(no, not that kind) that will 'fit thru a RV door? She can drive herself in the rig.. If it is too high to drive in another Rvr made a winch-powered one for his mother to be pulled up that sounded good.. Of course,
there are the lifts that go through the walls and lift you in($$$$$).. I just bought motorcycle ramps and run it into my pickum up truk.. Mine is too wide to fit through the MH door(why they don't make'em 2" wider) and I hang it on a tilting carrier on the towhitch...(use a good cover AND TIE IT DOWN).. Good luck and hope you get back to the out of doors..
I'm sure that Vegasdan wasn't thinking when he popped off.. Hez a good
guy!!(most of the time)
Looking forward to seeing you somewhere...
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote