Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
RV anti freeze

Time to winterize. Blew down all the water taps, lines, water heater, low point drains & bypassed etc etc with compressed air and went to my RV paraphernalia shelf and realized I was out of RV anti freeze. Went to my local hardware place and found out it's almost $7/gallon! Sitting right next to it was -20F windshield washer fluid for $1.49/gal. Since I only use it in the "P" traps, waste tanks and toilet, I decided to get the ww fluid for 1/4 the price. I know I can't use it in the supply water system, it contains methyl alcohol but does anybody know of any reason why I can't or shouldn't use it in the waste drain system? Seems like if it's safe in your windshield washer reservoir and hoses it should be safe for waste pipes, etc.

2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
FYI. I purchased RV AF at Wally World for $2.58 per gallon yesterday.

ChasL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got mine @ Manard's @ $1.79 a gal. Personally I wouldn't use it.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Even Lowe's and Home Depot have it for 3-4 dollars a jug. Mine came from Wally World at less then 3 bucks a gallon. I would NOT use the windshield wash fluid in anything other then drains - and not even sure that's a good idea either as it's false economy when you figure the cost of your RV. At $7.00/gallon you should only need a gallon or at the most two - bypassing the HW heater, I used just a single jug.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others about cheaper sources, but the Windshield fluid you bought is ok for drain traps. It won't harm ABS or PVC, and it is dilute enough that rubber shouldn't be a concern either.

Be aware, though, that it may not be rated for as low a temperature as antifreeze, so check the label. Around here, washer fluid is typically rated for 20 F., but that's in Florida. Presumably stronger stuff is available elsewhere.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
The reason you might not want to use wiper solvent to winterize (anything!) is that it doesn't take long for the alcohol to evaporate out of it, leaving you with nice blue water..... that will freeze harder than a rock.

I'm sure guys will now advise they've been using it successfully for years. Fine, your call.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have an RV, Boat, and 2 S&B, Been using RV Anti Freeze for may years to Summarize and Winterize. The windshield stuff will work for a while, but is bad for sewer and septic systems, it evaporates faster than the AF. My biggest use of RV AF is in the S&B toilets, not for freeze protection, but odor, it evaporates much slower than water in the HOT TX summer. I also cover the bowl with stretch plastic. It will keep them sealed for 6 months.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #8
Look on the label of cheap RV anti-freeze and you will find alcohol.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Windshield washer fluid is usually about 90% alcohol. This stuff is toxic to septic systems and it's these systems you will find in most campgrounds where in all probability you will be dumping your tanks. Let's be responsible RVers and have some consideration for campground owners.
Bill and Eila, Oshawa, Ontario
2001 Four Winds Chateau 31N E450/V10
2006 Saturn Vue 3.5 AWD, Aventa 11 Brake Buddy
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
90% , wouldn't that make it flammable?
charliej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Hard to think anyone would take a chance for an extra $10.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Alcohol ain't alochol and plastic ain't plastic, there are several different versions of each. Your sewer system, and the windshield washer fluid, aren't made with eachother in mind. It might work, but it might not. So, if it melts or gums up your sewer system, what're you gonna do? Ask your wife, if she thinks it's stupid, it probably is.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Lived in Michigan for years and Always put washer anti in traps. Always.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #14
Windshield wiper fluid is water based. Depending on the alcohol content it may not freeze solid until it gets to -25*F. However when it does freeze it will expand just like water. IF/When that happens you'll probably crack a pipe. RV antifreeze does not expand when it freezes so there's little chance it will damage anything.

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote